Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 356 1
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 827 30
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 633 32
- IHT and cash gifts 102 2
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 389 4
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 322 9
- Practice management 177 2
- Flat Conversion Allowance 76 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 228 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 95 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 154 7
- Clothing 218 4
- VAT registration transfer 163 3
- Sponsorship & VAT 96 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 144 2
- Director drawings 427 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 325 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 109 1
- HMRC SA302s 222 3
- What does the "K" signify 447 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 909
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 615
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 581
- Latest phishing scam 536
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 380
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 283
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 203
- Capital allowances in first basis period 192
- Sabbatical payments 180
- Negligible Value Claim 158