Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- Commission on holiday accrual 62 1
- error on companies house accounts 110 4
- Newly Started Practice 179 5
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 155 2
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 182 4
- HMRC computer behind the times 188 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 85 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.160 ITEPA 93 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 346 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 226 6
- Overtime etc for PT employees 168 2
- Generic Notification Notices 125 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 445 5
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 114 1
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 435 5
- RTI lost some data on laptop packing up!! 93 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 243 4
- Does This Company Need To File A Tax Return 144 1
- fraud 416 1
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 241 3
- QROP pension input amounts 475
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 439
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 416
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 266
- EPS and CIS deductions 260
- Construction CIS LLP Company 246
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 214
- SAGE winforecast 180
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 173
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 166