Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- flat rate scheme 688 21
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 251 8
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 15 1
- How to reward a long standing employee 171 2
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 251 5
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,513 43
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 187 2
- Windows 7 to 8 should I go Excel or Office 365 191 3
- Special dividends & CGT 286 2
- Attachment of Orders 126 1
- Sage instant account codes 268 2
- Allocation of income from property 256 7
- Protocol to be followed for professional clearance 189 2
- Turnover on a tax return 722 13
- UK tax exposure 402 7
- Companies House Presenter Account 190 3
- regulated mortgage work? 238 3
- Employer Making Employee Calculate own Holiday Pay 201 1
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 303 8
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,316 11