Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,423 25
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,987 70
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 208 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,949 47
- inflation rate year on year 182 4
- Accounts Question 156 5
- Deleted question? 763 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,219 67
- MAAT vs ACCA 729 13
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 667 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 459 4
- VAT Return Errors 204 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 163 5
- Yorkshire Day 621 38
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 200 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 389 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 154 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 299 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 243 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 158 1
- Cancelled 471
- Cancelled 388
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 379
- Probiz 359
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 264
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 238
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 235
- More spam 184
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 154