Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- Business only use of company car 227 6
- Dividend Tax Petition 314 4
- Buying a business premises in a pension 188 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 175 2
- Tax efficient vehicle 474 9
- Going through security 260 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 463 17
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 227 1
- Bank reconciliation 267 8
- Practice software 663 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 337 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 277 5
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 166 2
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 250 7
- Goodwill on incorporation 506 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 356 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 211 2
- Retail business software/accounting system 139 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 206 9
- Certificate of Tax Deposit and APN's 117 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 225
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 212
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 200
- Web site and client access area advice 183
- Expenses Software 180
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 170
- Any thoughts on Capium? 165
- CTA Material 162
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 161