Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 348 11
- Start-up cost recognition 75 1
- SA316s 60 1
- Lunches 113 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 355 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 111 3
- Generic notification message 247 6
- Property Expenses 204 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 687 21
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 802 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 90 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 487 13
- Swiching tax 489 14
- Accrued salary unpaid 245 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,176 18
- Basis periods 85 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 100 2
- CGT on spouse's death 300 11
- Starting Again 313 11
- CT101 Completion 138 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 598
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 586
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 385
- Pensions Regulator 350
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 288
- Using the correct forms 264
- SA penalty proposals 255
- RTI - duplicate employee record 248
- Accelerated payment notices 231
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 223