Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- Question help 200 7
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 1,527 21
- Still Looking for Website inspiration 218 6
- Signifcant Debts skew SA Tax Liability 1,586 29
- Generic notices - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH - Claim costs? 350 8
- Non sequitur 1,914 27
- RTI notices 171 7
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 1,486 26
- Being sued due to monthly fees 2,264 27
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 1,627 51
- Born Dull personality of the year 230 3
- On-line companies house filing error 176 8
- Sections9A Taxes Act - Check opened for 2011/12 but no information requested .... yet! 127 2
- Interest Only Mortgage 112 2
- HMRC takes £2bn more from investigations – have you seen this happening? 427 6
- Does your car speak Geordie? 241 3
- RTI 179 7
- New Year's Resolutions 244 4
- Witholding CIS information 116 1
- Web app, tool or template to track TB movement 165 4
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 535
- Alphabet shares 380
- confusion about 238
- Membership of SPA 218
- Sole trader renting property from self and co owner 214
- Maximum AIA Claimable 197
- Competition time! 183
- Alternate 181
- hp versus contract hire versus lease purchase with balloon 160
- Tax treatment of lost partnership capital 152