Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 90 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 315 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 201 3
- FreeAgent question 91 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 116 2
- CIS monthly returns 168 2
- Goodie bag 1,545 52
- Husband Wife let property 346 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 497 12
- Output tax for retailer 312 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 276 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 131 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 126 1
- CT600 Advice 124 1
- Fair Value Accounting 74 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 137 4
- can I approach clients ? 402 8
- Companies House Penalties 130 2
- Apostille documents 112 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 541 13
- Possible Partnership? 640
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 517
- New Fangled Penalties 445
- Fuming! 379
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 317
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 254
- Outsource Data Entry 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 235
- Moving away from CCH software 227
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 174