Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- Dress code 1,418 33
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 99 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,312 16
- Limited company buying director's car 111 7
- Entrepeneurs relief 207 11
- Scottish Independance 669 18
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 145 1
- Historical figures for WTC 56 1
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 132 2
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 149 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 418 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,155 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 110 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 256 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 426 6
- WC's and capital allowances 106 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 262 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 893 10
- carry back of gift aid 127 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 140 3
- CTA study material 757
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 467
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 362
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Expat pension contributions? 249
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 147
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142