Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 88 1
- Subsistence Exclusions 122 2
- CT600 263 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 199 4
- signature required 904 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 169 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,338 22
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 454 13
- Community awards 2014 - first category 164 6
- Can you help me spot errors? 319 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 325 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 117 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 84 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 146 2
- Payment plans for clients 273 3
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 91 1
- Lease 143 4
- Free invoicing software 505 4
- Digita Hosted Software 397 4
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 188 5
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,306
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 546
- Credit where credit's due....... 336
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 229
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 187
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 179
- Director's business mileage 145
- Sole trader CPD 145