Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- Wear and tear allowance 416 9
- VAT Turnover 31 1
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 63 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 94 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 292 5
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 124 2
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 108 4
- Company purchase of shares 263 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 97 2
- VAT QUESTION 135 2
- Holding on to fees paid monthly for work not yet done? 1,092 14
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,218 15
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 211 13
- Why should I retain membership? 2,236 35
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 486 14
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 667 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 160 5
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 96 1
- HMRC Underpayment notices. Are they related to Employers Allowance 164 1
- Starting Self Employment while Employed in Practice 2,626 41
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 683
- Auto enrolment excuses 620
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 362
- Social investment tax relief 174
- Call Centre Data Costs 174
- Digita Hosted Software 169
- option to tax 155
- VAT on deposits 138
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 134
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 130