Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- P9D or P11D 871 8
- Telephone call from "Xero" 87 1
- Business Bank account 72 3
- P35 and Service Company questions 219 6
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 659 28
- Purchase of ltd company 81 3
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 102 1
- Repairs or Improvement? 105 2
- Share Capital 160 3
- Administrative restoration 155 4
- Limited company 66 2
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 147 3
- Excel formula 451 9
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 162 4
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 115 2
- Companies House incorporation service 399 13
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 325 2
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,622 13
- Bereavment payment 172 3
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 123 1
- Xtuple 555
- Qtac payroll for bureau 378
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 322
- Industrial & Provident Societies 315
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 308
- CIS schemes 227
- Domain name sale and limited company 206
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 192
- Investment 189
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 185