Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 292 13
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 422 6
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 157 4
- PRR 455 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 77 1
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 232 14
- Working from home - time apportionment 299 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 209 2
- cross border vat 119 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,922 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 781 17
- Can't read my handwriting 637 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,656 74
- Employing a carer 134 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 536 16
- Corp Tax Refund 176 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 408 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 285 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 100 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 240 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,374
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 520
- National Insurance 417
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 228
- Employer's Helpline 189
- CIS paid under reg 9 187
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 151