Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 282 5
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 23 1
- Benefit in kind but no salary 287 6
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 209 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 192 3
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 73 3
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 121 2
- CGT on transfer of property 358 20
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,186 23
- Advisory Fuel Rates 109 5
- The stupidity continues 2,536 102
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,527 28
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 77 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 150 1
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 211 8
- Excel file Corrupted 181 3
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 123 1
- Marketing and email surprises 532 10
- Cis refund for company 191 3
- 45p mileage - stupid question 509 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 463
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 456
- WIP Software 323
- No payroll scheme in place 267
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 238
- Is there anything wrong with this? 236
- Small Part Disposal of Property 212
- Uncommercial property business 209
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 178
- SA Penalty 173