Daily penalties from HMRC
Good afternoon All
Not one of my regular clients, but seem do have been dragged into this, he has been hit by a full 90 x £10 daily penalty for not filing his personal Self assesment for 2011 and a similar penalty for not filing the Partnership retun so he is suddenly £1800 in th ered.
The penalties are raised uner Para 5 Sch 55 FA 2009 and Para 4 Sch 55 FA 2009.
Both the Partnership return and subsequent SA return had no tax owing as the Partnership made a loss.
My thought is that the fallback appeal that no tax is due therefore no penalty can be charged has now been ruled out under the new FA 2009, can someone just confirm my thinking is correct?
Does anyone have any advice on a particular route to reduce these penalties? The Partnership has now ceased and these are relating to 2011 SA returns.
ONe final question, the client has submitted paper copies of both the Partnership and personal Self assesment returns (he has taken blanks from the HMRC site), is there anything to be gained by duplicating these and resubmitting them on line?
Thanks as always
- VAT on cashback card handling fee 127 1
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 547 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 621 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,242 45
- practice planning 160 3
- Accounts Software 715 19
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 245 9
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 499 14
- Dividend Vouchers 383 5
- Gift to employee 414 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 165 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 154 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,121 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 188 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 160 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,666 10
- Which address 1,080 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 617 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,530 17
- R&D tax claim 266 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 489
- CTA study material 467
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 339
- Pre incorp expenses 324
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 275
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 265
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 214
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 169
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 141
- Employment related securities question 129