Date of business transfer to limited company - part disposal?? HELP please!
Sole trader client with two main customers, transferred business to a limited company in spring 2012.
Now trying to complete the valuation and get CG34 valuation clearance but am struggling to know how to proceed.
Customer A contract novated on 31 May with all income after that date going through the limited company. Customer B took longer to process the paperwork and only novated the contract on 31 July. This was purely due to administrative problems.
So sole trader has trade in April and May with both customers, then June and July with customer B only. Limited company has income from customer A in June and July, then both customers A and B from August onwards.
The initial plan had been to transfer the entire business to the limited company on 31 July, when all had been finalised but in reality I suspect we seem to have a part disposal at 31 May and the final disposal at 31 July. Is there any way to avoid this? Do I really have to split the business and do two valuations, one at each date, two CG34s etc or am I missing some way round this?
I have prepared an initial valuation report as at 31 July, and have increased the 4 month period to July 12's profit to take into account both contracts for 12 months to get to an annual amount. But I worry now as the method of doing this shows that one customer novated on 31 May, and is this going to be queried as a part disposal?
Sole trader accounts have been completed to 31 July as that is when the sole trade stops altogether. If there was a part disposal at 31 May I would presumably have to create another set of accounts to send off with that valuation??
This is my first valuation report and I had the figures reviewed by someone more experienced, who agrees they are reasonable but said the way I have calculated the uplift to a full year looked odd. (I calculated by saying the four months to 31 July included 6 'customer months' (i.e. 2 each in April and May, 1 in June and July) and that the full year would include 24 'customer months' so the uplift should be 3x the original.
PS Yes murphy1 I also have times when I feel like giving it all up!!
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 246 4
- Agent for mobile DJs. Could the DJs be considered to be working for him? 111 1
- UK Subsidiary of Foreign Company 91 1
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 1,020 31
- Drop Down Boxes 239 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,643 504
- Any other payroll providers transferring from Sage to Moneysoft? 161 1
- Does anyone use quotation software? 593 8
- help needed with rti paye please 173 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 864 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 422 11
- Can't read my handwriting 819 19
- Undeclared rental income 427 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 352 7
- Sick pay 262 6
- Directors self assessment 184 2
- Employer's Helpline 226 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 145 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 202 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,776 70
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,417
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 545
- National Insurance 442
- Non Resident 331
- Hands on experience of Digita 263
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 261
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 172
- Umbrella pay services 147
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 131
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 124