Date of business transfer to limited company - part disposal?? HELP please!
Sole trader client with two main customers, transferred business to a limited company in spring 2012.
Now trying to complete the valuation and get CG34 valuation clearance but am struggling to know how to proceed.
Customer A contract novated on 31 May with all income after that date going through the limited company. Customer B took longer to process the paperwork and only novated the contract on 31 July. This was purely due to administrative problems.
So sole trader has trade in April and May with both customers, then June and July with customer B only. Limited company has income from customer A in June and July, then both customers A and B from August onwards.
The initial plan had been to transfer the entire business to the limited company on 31 July, when all had been finalised but in reality I suspect we seem to have a part disposal at 31 May and the final disposal at 31 July. Is there any way to avoid this? Do I really have to split the business and do two valuations, one at each date, two CG34s etc or am I missing some way round this?
I have prepared an initial valuation report as at 31 July, and have increased the 4 month period to July 12's profit to take into account both contracts for 12 months to get to an annual amount. But I worry now as the method of doing this shows that one customer novated on 31 May, and is this going to be queried as a part disposal?
Sole trader accounts have been completed to 31 July as that is when the sole trade stops altogether. If there was a part disposal at 31 May I would presumably have to create another set of accounts to send off with that valuation??
This is my first valuation report and I had the figures reviewed by someone more experienced, who agrees they are reasonable but said the way I have calculated the uplift to a full year looked odd. (I calculated by saying the four months to 31 July included 6 'customer months' (i.e. 2 each in April and May, 1 in June and July) and that the full year would include 24 'customer months' so the uplift should be 3x the original.
PS Yes murphy1 I also have times when I feel like giving it all up!!
- RTI penalties 50 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 505 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 118 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 299 5
- US Sales Tax 105 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 360 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 193 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 113 1
- Group Relief 121 4
- R&D Credits 97 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 238 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 107 2
- Clients 672 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 291 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 121 3
- Starting new accounting business 284 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 457 10
- Sage Payroll 113 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 109 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 428 8
- QROP pension input amounts 493
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 477
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 440
- EPS and CIS deductions 294
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 286
- Construction CIS LLP Company 278
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 243
- SAGE winforecast 199
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 196
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 182