Date of business transfer to limited company - part disposal?? HELP please!
Sole trader client with two main customers, transferred business to a limited company in spring 2012.
Now trying to complete the valuation and get CG34 valuation clearance but am struggling to know how to proceed.
Customer A contract novated on 31 May with all income after that date going through the limited company. Customer B took longer to process the paperwork and only novated the contract on 31 July. This was purely due to administrative problems.
So sole trader has trade in April and May with both customers, then June and July with customer B only. Limited company has income from customer A in June and July, then both customers A and B from August onwards.
The initial plan had been to transfer the entire business to the limited company on 31 July, when all had been finalised but in reality I suspect we seem to have a part disposal at 31 May and the final disposal at 31 July. Is there any way to avoid this? Do I really have to split the business and do two valuations, one at each date, two CG34s etc or am I missing some way round this?
I have prepared an initial valuation report as at 31 July, and have increased the 4 month period to July 12's profit to take into account both contracts for 12 months to get to an annual amount. But I worry now as the method of doing this shows that one customer novated on 31 May, and is this going to be queried as a part disposal?
Sole trader accounts have been completed to 31 July as that is when the sole trade stops altogether. If there was a part disposal at 31 May I would presumably have to create another set of accounts to send off with that valuation??
This is my first valuation report and I had the figures reviewed by someone more experienced, who agrees they are reasonable but said the way I have calculated the uplift to a full year looked odd. (I calculated by saying the four months to 31 July included 6 'customer months' (i.e. 2 each in April and May, 1 in June and July) and that the full year would include 24 'customer months' so the uplift should be 3x the original.
PS Yes murphy1 I also have times when I feel like giving it all up!!
- Redundancy payment added to p45 337 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,094 22
- Fee base v staff ratio 68 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 331 4
- Debtor/creditor set-off 54 1
- Cash basis 357 10
- Statutory sick pay 198 3
- Overseas bank interest 195 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 139 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 343 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 195 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 299 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,926 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,352 12
- Lorry Drivers 389 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 259 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,725 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 172 1
- PRR 600 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 224 2
- Skandia using wrong address 542
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 293
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 288
- Employee rewards 281
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 255
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 245
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 234
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 217
- Etax Australian 179
- LLP in Construction Industry 143