Date of business transfer to limited company - part disposal?? HELP please!
Sole trader client with two main customers, transferred business to a limited company in spring 2012.
Now trying to complete the valuation and get CG34 valuation clearance but am struggling to know how to proceed.
Customer A contract novated on 31 May with all income after that date going through the limited company. Customer B took longer to process the paperwork and only novated the contract on 31 July. This was purely due to administrative problems.
So sole trader has trade in April and May with both customers, then June and July with customer B only. Limited company has income from customer A in June and July, then both customers A and B from August onwards.
The initial plan had been to transfer the entire business to the limited company on 31 July, when all had been finalised but in reality I suspect we seem to have a part disposal at 31 May and the final disposal at 31 July. Is there any way to avoid this? Do I really have to split the business and do two valuations, one at each date, two CG34s etc or am I missing some way round this?
I have prepared an initial valuation report as at 31 July, and have increased the 4 month period to July 12's profit to take into account both contracts for 12 months to get to an annual amount. But I worry now as the method of doing this shows that one customer novated on 31 May, and is this going to be queried as a part disposal?
Sole trader accounts have been completed to 31 July as that is when the sole trade stops altogether. If there was a part disposal at 31 May I would presumably have to create another set of accounts to send off with that valuation??
This is my first valuation report and I had the figures reviewed by someone more experienced, who agrees they are reasonable but said the way I have calculated the uplift to a full year looked odd. (I calculated by saying the four months to 31 July included 6 'customer months' (i.e. 2 each in April and May, 1 in June and July) and that the full year would include 24 'customer months' so the uplift should be 3x the original.
PS Yes murphy1 I also have times when I feel like giving it all up!!
- Where has Portia gone? 5,132 113
- Help 232 11
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 295 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 122 2
- Overlap profit 302 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 326 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,073 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 149 1
- Payments on account 199 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 110 1
- What do your junior staff do? 536 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 668 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 428 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 542 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 139 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,949 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 371 3
- On the high seas 120 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 149 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 863 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 854
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 344
- How do you do it 338
- Digital marketing focus group 315
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181