Date of business transfer to limited company - part disposal?? HELP please!
Sole trader client with two main customers, transferred business to a limited company in spring 2012.
Now trying to complete the valuation and get CG34 valuation clearance but am struggling to know how to proceed.
Customer A contract novated on 31 May with all income after that date going through the limited company. Customer B took longer to process the paperwork and only novated the contract on 31 July. This was purely due to administrative problems.
So sole trader has trade in April and May with both customers, then June and July with customer B only. Limited company has income from customer A in June and July, then both customers A and B from August onwards.
The initial plan had been to transfer the entire business to the limited company on 31 July, when all had been finalised but in reality I suspect we seem to have a part disposal at 31 May and the final disposal at 31 July. Is there any way to avoid this? Do I really have to split the business and do two valuations, one at each date, two CG34s etc or am I missing some way round this?
I have prepared an initial valuation report as at 31 July, and have increased the 4 month period to July 12's profit to take into account both contracts for 12 months to get to an annual amount. But I worry now as the method of doing this shows that one customer novated on 31 May, and is this going to be queried as a part disposal?
Sole trader accounts have been completed to 31 July as that is when the sole trade stops altogether. If there was a part disposal at 31 May I would presumably have to create another set of accounts to send off with that valuation??
This is my first valuation report and I had the figures reviewed by someone more experienced, who agrees they are reasonable but said the way I have calculated the uplift to a full year looked odd. (I calculated by saying the four months to 31 July included 6 'customer months' (i.e. 2 each in April and May, 1 in June and July) and that the full year would include 24 'customer months' so the uplift should be 3x the original.
PS Yes murphy1 I also have times when I feel like giving it all up!!
- pre letting expenses 133 2
- Expat working back in UK 70 3
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 164 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 62 1
- Charge out rates in London? 102 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 389 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 264 6
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 458 14
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 80 3
- change of paye software 502 13
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 273 5
- Which software for practice books? 460 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 225 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 525 2
- share capital calculation 251 14
- Dispensation pointless ? 192 3
- Renting property to yourself 454 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,968 51
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 178 4
- Pension contributions limits 262 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 727
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 474
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 289
- How to format a stock book 250
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 202
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 185
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 162