Dealing with the stress and pressure...
Most of the time I enjoy what I do working as a sole practitioner and have the usual mix of really good, ok and crap clients, albeit that the 'crap' will be sent letters soon!
Over January, I have never felt so much pressure and stress and it maybe that I am just not cut out to do this, but given that I have built the business up to around 140 clients since three years ago and have now moved to an office and have an office junior who can do account prep, I don't want to give up!
What do you do to deal with this?
Here is a couple of scenarios that have led to me feeling like giving it all up:
1. Get HOME, yes home and not the office to a disengagement letter from a client who I only signed up in Sept, and gave 110% to get their accounts and tax done in mid January. This client was suing their previous accountant for negligence and they are being fully invesigated by the appropriate professional body. I called and asked if there was any reason and they merely said the business couldn't affrord an accountant - it is a Ltd co, but directors took £ 20k more out the company than they should and I pointed out that they owed this back to the company.
2. Client who approved and signed accounts in Oct emails last night asking why certain expenses were £ 6k short - details were exactly as he provided on receipts.
3. Cients asking for specialist advice - eg Seafarers deductions etc. I feel that I cannot give the right advice.
4. Client going through a 'Pre Pack' with an administartor but asking me all the questions - again, feeling a bit 'thick'
Any thoughts on changes I can make on how I am dealing with this would really help, as I can't allow my health and family to suffer because I am not dealing with my issues here correctly.
- Please for the love of god can anyone clear this up for me accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 224 9
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 516 11
- Tax Return Deadlines 91 1
- Flat rate vat error 319 7
- EC VAT 204 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 514 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 284 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 538 16
- can I claim a per diem 255 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 136 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,372 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 249 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 240 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 86 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 285 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 528 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 853 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 158 3
- Linux Accounting Software 566 13
- RTI due -no broadband 168 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 829
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 505
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 317
- How to format a stock book 285
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 228
- Tax efficient holding company structure 226
- Investment property company accounts template 218
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 210
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 180
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179