debit/credit rules - student question
I have asked this elsewhere but no-one has been able to answer this.. can anyone help here?
I am working through the Woods book to support my course material as has been suggested (by my course material and by my tutor) and it is proving helpful in confirming my knowledge with the exercises. However there is something that I could do with a little more clarification on.
When deciding whether to debit or credit an account I work on the Debit the receiver and Credit the giver system.... but the Woods book says there are instances where this is not applicable. The book gave a really long method of knowing which to do, but there is no way I am going to remember all that.
A number of methods have been suggested in various books to help you make entries to the correct account and some students find them sufficient. I was taught to debit increases in assets and expenses and to credit increases in income and liabilities, a useful rule, but one that is sadly incomplete. Another rule often suggested is to debit the receiver and credit the giver; again a useful but sadly incomplete principle to adopt.
But the book doesn't explain why it is incomplete.
Can anyone tell me where do you not debit the receiver and credit the giver?
My tutor couldn't answer the question, she just said she never uses that method.
- Car benefit or not? 1,337 17
- Associate Dentist SD86 much higher than deductions 129 1
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 432 9
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 457 5
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 219 5
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 511 16
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 308 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 213 6
- Auto Enrolment 108 1
- Not renewing AAT 868 11
- Company ceased trading 143 4
- Questions from Liquidator 2,129 22
- Casual Driver 413 6
- Email encryption 1,470 16
- New dividend taxation 741 4
- Another question on trusts and settlements 84 1
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,319 25
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 794 11
- Are Property Design Exhibitions Claimable 162 3
- Agent online self service 642 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 687
- Property letting & CAs 416
- 2015 tax year end 408
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 400
- FCA regulated company in a small group 354
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 330
- Costly Accounting Software contract 266
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 244
- DTA tie-breaker issue 230
- Directors' advances and credits 228