debit/credit rules - student question
I have asked this elsewhere but no-one has been able to answer this.. can anyone help here?
I am working through the Woods book to support my course material as has been suggested (by my course material and by my tutor) and it is proving helpful in confirming my knowledge with the exercises. However there is something that I could do with a little more clarification on.
When deciding whether to debit or credit an account I work on the Debit the receiver and Credit the giver system.... but the Woods book says there are instances where this is not applicable. The book gave a really long method of knowing which to do, but there is no way I am going to remember all that.
A number of methods have been suggested in various books to help you make entries to the correct account and some students find them sufficient. I was taught to debit increases in assets and expenses and to credit increases in income and liabilities, a useful rule, but one that is sadly incomplete. Another rule often suggested is to debit the receiver and credit the giver; again a useful but sadly incomplete principle to adopt.
But the book doesn't explain why it is incomplete.
Can anyone tell me where do you not debit the receiver and credit the giver?
My tutor couldn't answer the question, she just said she never uses that method.
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 254 5
- Vat on new builds 59 1
- Using home as clients registered address 228 5
- VAT MOSS registration 96 1
- Anyone else still working this week? 468 15
- How much does the company pay 818 35
- Which tax returns can I submit? 164 4
- Cocaine anyone? 887 14
- HMRC property income enquiry 455 10
- Proof of identification 126 2
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 153 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 123 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 308 5
- Childcare vouchers 373 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 102 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 92 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 88 1
- two business from one premises 193 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 70 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 375 4
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 510
- corporate hierarchy 479
- Advice - 330
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 279
- WWOOFers 267
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 252
- The booking.com con 252
- Cocaine anyone? 235
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 228
- UK State pension paid in NZ 178