debit/credit rules - student question
I have asked this elsewhere but no-one has been able to answer this.. can anyone help here?
I am working through the Woods book to support my course material as has been suggested (by my course material and by my tutor) and it is proving helpful in confirming my knowledge with the exercises. However there is something that I could do with a little more clarification on.
When deciding whether to debit or credit an account I work on the Debit the receiver and Credit the giver system.... but the Woods book says there are instances where this is not applicable. The book gave a really long method of knowing which to do, but there is no way I am going to remember all that.
A number of methods have been suggested in various books to help you make entries to the correct account and some students find them sufficient. I was taught to debit increases in assets and expenses and to credit increases in income and liabilities, a useful rule, but one that is sadly incomplete. Another rule often suggested is to debit the receiver and credit the giver; again a useful but sadly incomplete principle to adopt.
But the book doesn't explain why it is incomplete.
Can anyone tell me where do you not debit the receiver and credit the giver?
My tutor couldn't answer the question, she just said she never uses that method.
- Servicing AE fees 136 2
- VAT Receipts 234 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 73 2
- P800 problems again 61 1
- Company accounts for £350 931 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 386 12
- Flat Rate VAT 147 5
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,135 40
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 127 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 193 5
- Redundancy pay 275 7
- Software for Accounts layout 250 4
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 211 6
- Debt management unit HMRC 138 1
- How to report under-declaration on next VAT100? 127 1
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 183 4
- Mandatory Capitalisation 224 3
- Practice software 1,152 16
- A different accounts production software request 200 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,551 16
- FRS 101 Software 328
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 301
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 292
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 271
- French ConnectionUK 235
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 206
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 201
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 198
- APN's 183
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 179