debit/credit rules - student question
I have asked this elsewhere but no-one has been able to answer this.. can anyone help here?
I am working through the Woods book to support my course material as has been suggested (by my course material and by my tutor) and it is proving helpful in confirming my knowledge with the exercises. However there is something that I could do with a little more clarification on.
When deciding whether to debit or credit an account I work on the Debit the receiver and Credit the giver system.... but the Woods book says there are instances where this is not applicable. The book gave a really long method of knowing which to do, but there is no way I am going to remember all that.
A number of methods have been suggested in various books to help you make entries to the correct account and some students find them sufficient. I was taught to debit increases in assets and expenses and to credit increases in income and liabilities, a useful rule, but one that is sadly incomplete. Another rule often suggested is to debit the receiver and credit the giver; again a useful but sadly incomplete principle to adopt.
But the book doesn't explain why it is incomplete.
Can anyone tell me where do you not debit the receiver and credit the giver?
My tutor couldn't answer the question, she just said she never uses that method.
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,816 43
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 431 16
- Time to ditch Sage? 291 5
- Losses carry forward to self employed 62 1
- Fees 326 3
- Agent Authorisation Issue 253 3
- HMRC Post 540 7
- Transactions with directors 454 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 292 9
- Non VAT invoices 217 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 215 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,399 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 261 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 232 2
- Form 17 Download 167 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 566 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 386 4
- HMRC Information notice 1,000 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 287 3
- Accountant Specialization. 405 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 415
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 366
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 212
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 181
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 180