debit/credit rules - student question
I have asked this elsewhere but no-one has been able to answer this.. can anyone help here?
I am working through the Woods book to support my course material as has been suggested (by my course material and by my tutor) and it is proving helpful in confirming my knowledge with the exercises. However there is something that I could do with a little more clarification on.
When deciding whether to debit or credit an account I work on the Debit the receiver and Credit the giver system.... but the Woods book says there are instances where this is not applicable. The book gave a really long method of knowing which to do, but there is no way I am going to remember all that.
A number of methods have been suggested in various books to help you make entries to the correct account and some students find them sufficient. I was taught to debit increases in assets and expenses and to credit increases in income and liabilities, a useful rule, but one that is sadly incomplete. Another rule often suggested is to debit the receiver and credit the giver; again a useful but sadly incomplete principle to adopt.
But the book doesn't explain why it is incomplete.
Can anyone tell me where do you not debit the receiver and credit the giver?
My tutor couldn't answer the question, she just said she never uses that method.
- Changed Company Year End - CT Penalty 244 10
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 340 9
- Child benefit charge 708 10
- Furniture Holiday Let & Capital Allowances 201 6
- Incorrect CIS Invoices from Subcontractors 80 4
- Do you lose losses on cessation 271 9
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 189 9
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 60 1
- SA800 Returns 128 3
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,235 20
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 55 1
- Corporation Tax 203 9
- Company name change question... 70 1
- CGT and 2nd property 962 14
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 95 1
- Self Ass. Return 243 3
- Late payment payroll 168 2
- Deferred Tax 223 9
- New Boiler at Rental Property 510 6
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 825 22
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 813
- Copy Wanted 530
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 483
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 473
- Latest phishing scam 322
- Entrepreneurs' relief 301
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 268
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 264
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 262
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 167