debit/credit rules - student question
I have asked this elsewhere but no-one has been able to answer this.. can anyone help here?
I am working through the Woods book to support my course material as has been suggested (by my course material and by my tutor) and it is proving helpful in confirming my knowledge with the exercises. However there is something that I could do with a little more clarification on.
When deciding whether to debit or credit an account I work on the Debit the receiver and Credit the giver system.... but the Woods book says there are instances where this is not applicable. The book gave a really long method of knowing which to do, but there is no way I am going to remember all that.
A number of methods have been suggested in various books to help you make entries to the correct account and some students find them sufficient. I was taught to debit increases in assets and expenses and to credit increases in income and liabilities, a useful rule, but one that is sadly incomplete. Another rule often suggested is to debit the receiver and credit the giver; again a useful but sadly incomplete principle to adopt.
But the book doesn't explain why it is incomplete.
Can anyone tell me where do you not debit the receiver and credit the giver?
My tutor couldn't answer the question, she just said she never uses that method.
- Hosted email exchange 52 2
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 325 11
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 715 45
- Bringing money to Uk 172 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 53 1
- G P life time allowance 64 2
- Accounting for investment club gains 89 2
- Audit rules 97 2
- New Business Registration 162 3
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 163 5
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 537 11
- SA302 91 2
- Can customer claim VAT on contractor cash purchases. 126 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 89 2
- VAT REGISTRATION TRANSFER 55 2
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 173 6
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,267 38
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 62 1
- Capital allowances for estates in administration 101 1
- Hotel accommodation tax deductible? 273 3
- Xtuple 487
- Qtac payroll for bureau 328
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 273
- Industrial & Provident Societies 267
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 211
- Mehjoo 209
- New strategic report 165
- Domain name sale and limited company 148
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 145
- South African Government Pension 144