debit/credit rules - student question
I have asked this elsewhere but no-one has been able to answer this.. can anyone help here?
I am working through the Woods book to support my course material as has been suggested (by my course material and by my tutor) and it is proving helpful in confirming my knowledge with the exercises. However there is something that I could do with a little more clarification on.
When deciding whether to debit or credit an account I work on the Debit the receiver and Credit the giver system.... but the Woods book says there are instances where this is not applicable. The book gave a really long method of knowing which to do, but there is no way I am going to remember all that.
A number of methods have been suggested in various books to help you make entries to the correct account and some students find them sufficient. I was taught to debit increases in assets and expenses and to credit increases in income and liabilities, a useful rule, but one that is sadly incomplete. Another rule often suggested is to debit the receiver and credit the giver; again a useful but sadly incomplete principle to adopt.
But the book doesn't explain why it is incomplete.
Can anyone tell me where do you not debit the receiver and credit the giver?
My tutor couldn't answer the question, she just said she never uses that method.
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 752 17
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 234 6
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,549 42
- CIC Company 383 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,648 57
- Is this a scam? 755 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 114 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 328 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 235 5
- New company - form a group? 155 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 173 4
- PITA client 214 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 365 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,311 33
- Dividend dates 490 8
- R&D tax credit claim 218 5
- CIS Deductions 272 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 115 1
- is this fraud? 789 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 496 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 345
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 332
- Cancelled 282
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 255
- Probiz 241
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 186
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 155