debit/credit rules - student question
I have asked this elsewhere but no-one has been able to answer this.. can anyone help here?
I am working through the Woods book to support my course material as has been suggested (by my course material and by my tutor) and it is proving helpful in confirming my knowledge with the exercises. However there is something that I could do with a little more clarification on.
When deciding whether to debit or credit an account I work on the Debit the receiver and Credit the giver system.... but the Woods book says there are instances where this is not applicable. The book gave a really long method of knowing which to do, but there is no way I am going to remember all that.
A number of methods have been suggested in various books to help you make entries to the correct account and some students find them sufficient. I was taught to debit increases in assets and expenses and to credit increases in income and liabilities, a useful rule, but one that is sadly incomplete. Another rule often suggested is to debit the receiver and credit the giver; again a useful but sadly incomplete principle to adopt.
But the book doesn't explain why it is incomplete.
Can anyone tell me where do you not debit the receiver and credit the giver?
My tutor couldn't answer the question, she just said she never uses that method.
- Accounting Crew 1,024 24
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 153 3
- Dividend payment date 1,939 35
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 193 6
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 174 6
- Capital Gains Tax 180 4
- Well well well 392 5
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 170 11
- Errors in prior year accounts 196 5
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 208 7
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 219 9
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 498 13
- Company Secretarial Software 1,314 28
- LLP and LTD Co 104 3
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 108 1
- Real names 628 21
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 303 9
- CGT on Sale of shop 94 1
- Disincorporation before selling goodwill in the business 224 4
- Hollyoaks cast - changes due to Social Security Regulations 2,766 18
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 571
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 438
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 339
- IFA incorporation 319
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 307
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 302
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 255
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 246
- Sorry ignore me 245
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 242