debit/credit rules - student question
I have asked this elsewhere but no-one has been able to answer this.. can anyone help here?
I am working through the Woods book to support my course material as has been suggested (by my course material and by my tutor) and it is proving helpful in confirming my knowledge with the exercises. However there is something that I could do with a little more clarification on.
When deciding whether to debit or credit an account I work on the Debit the receiver and Credit the giver system.... but the Woods book says there are instances where this is not applicable. The book gave a really long method of knowing which to do, but there is no way I am going to remember all that.
A number of methods have been suggested in various books to help you make entries to the correct account and some students find them sufficient. I was taught to debit increases in assets and expenses and to credit increases in income and liabilities, a useful rule, but one that is sadly incomplete. Another rule often suggested is to debit the receiver and credit the giver; again a useful but sadly incomplete principle to adopt.
But the book doesn't explain why it is incomplete.
Can anyone tell me where do you not debit the receiver and credit the giver?
My tutor couldn't answer the question, she just said she never uses that method.
- do I have to pay NI? 26 1
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,225 15
- Website - Any guess on their business ... 59 1
- what time is it ? 429 5
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 153 6
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 447 25
- VAT chargeable or not? 114 3
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,265 55
- find-accountants.com 253 3
- Matching of tax return to P60 182 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 108 3
- trading or dormant 163 3
- Funds introduced by company secretary... 284 5
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 210 8
- Related Parties Note 202 4
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,072 20
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 805 22
- VAT on disbursement 183 2
- tax credits 239 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,085 17
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 937
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 533
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 343
- How to format a stock book 330
- Tax efficient holding company structure 263
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 253
- Investment property company accounts template 236
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 200
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 195
- Charge out rates in London? 166