Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 291 1
- VAT Option to tax 458 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 153 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 187 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 125 2
- Director leaving in month 1 112 2
- Ex Gratia payments 69 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 253 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 149 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 185 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 180 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 167 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 46 1
- EIS - connection through employment 93 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 242 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 53 1
- CIS and Close Company 93 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 227 4
- Secondment expenses 153 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 124 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 908
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 640
- Free Tax Legislation? 403
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 333
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 184
- Pension Fixed Protection 161