Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- FYAs on second-hand vans 218 6
- Why do I do this every year 355 9
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 244 20
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 290 5
- closing limited company 145 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 59 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 481 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 242 9
- IHT and US resident 51 1
- What sectors to target? 584 29
- Limited Companies Merger 206 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 129 1
- Practice management 376 7
- IHT and cash gifts 241 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 523 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,594 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 251 1
- eBay trading 232 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 258 10
- Self assesment online 949 10
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 925
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 645
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 593
- Latest phishing scam 574
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 409
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 309
- Scratch Head 237
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 229
- Sabbatical payments 194
- Negligible Value Claim 169