Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 989 48
- Tier One Tribunal 249 12
- Money Laundering and handover 105 1
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 152 3
- New starter error how to correct 114 2
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 255 4
- Summer house for business only 232 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 200 5
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 182 4
- SA316s 253 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 133 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 138 2
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 607 13
- Filing amended tax return 147 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 852 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 127 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 146 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 268 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 182 2
- Another transfer of property 170 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 614
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 601
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 390
- Pensions Regulator 360
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 298
- Using the correct forms 272
- RTI - duplicate employee record 272
- SA penalty proposals 261
- Accelerated payment notices 241
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 240