Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 266 7
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 101 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 250 4
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 175 6
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 55 1
- VAT on part of a closed pub 194 12
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 194 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 170 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 305 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 210 6
- SME Direct Debit 679 11
- Accountant software 444 13
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,040 23
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 199 3
- Accounting jobs in the UK 168 2
- CIS gross status review 125 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 135 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 382 6
- Flat rate vat error 251 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 110 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 763
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 486
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 303
- How to format a stock book 267
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 215
- Tax efficient holding company structure 207
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 199
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 175
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165