Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- Can't find a good web address 198 4
- Company asserts 134 2
- Bank stream and receipt bank advice... 98 1
- Example accounts 58 1
- Director resignation 281 6
- VAT on unused stock 89 1
- When to recover vat on bad debts 147 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 194 7
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 212 5
- effective advertising 279 6
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 200 8
- Software recommendations 317 2
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 171 3
- Edible spam? 814 16
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 325 5
- Put fees on website 315 6
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,591 27
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,364 4
- Sigma Red 1,445 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 350 5
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 483
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 469
- WIP Software 339
- No payroll scheme in place 293
- Is there anything wrong with this? 260
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 256
- Uncommercial property business 231
- Small Part Disposal of Property 230
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 194
- SA Penalty 188