Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,800 443
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 190 4
- capital gains on PPR 238 13
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 355 13
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 163 7
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 150 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,293 62
- Company expansion 88 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 371 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 493 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 520 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,477 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 248 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 178 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 161 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 295 9
- PRR 367 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 409 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 320 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 444 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 371
- Non Resident 296
- Franchise income and costs 263
- Hands on experience of Digita 215
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 166
- employment capital allowances 161
- CIS paid under reg 9 157