Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 655 5
- See you all on the other side 699 6
- 12Pay 467 2
- dividends 629 2
- R&D 329 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,193 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 441 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 422 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 377 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 551 5
- Seeking a tax case 647 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 509 4
- Companies house strike off 566 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 437 2
- Moving to the cloud 752 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 217 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 908 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 214 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,093 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 508 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 563
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 355
- Capitalising Finance Lease 328
- USA help 318
- Marginal rates of tax 306
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 298
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 294
- Class 2 NI 284