Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- Debtor/creditor set-off 14 1
- Cash basis 342 10
- Statutory sick pay 176 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 299 3
- Redundancy payment added to p45 315 2
- Overseas bank interest 179 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 134 1
- Undeclared rental income 2,037 20
- Kasperskey - home pc 330 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 183 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 288 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,919 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,323 12
- Lorry Drivers 382 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 253 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,699 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 157 1
- PRR 598 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 222 2
- Partially exempt? 329 10
- Skandia using wrong address 537
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 292
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 288
- Employee rewards 280
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 252
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 245
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 234
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 178
- LLP in Construction Industry 142