Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- bookkeeping for interest & dividends 162 3
- Auto Enrolment & Moneysoft 541 4
- Wrong career 113 5
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,861 28
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 186 5
- Newsletter 240 5
- RTI Filing 1,759 22
- Would this save hours of your time? 105 1
- Fee's for P11D's 309 5
- Agent with HMRC 242 10
- Quarterly PAYE 245 7
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 56 1
- reporting salary? 178 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 329 16
- CGT on Inherited Property 274 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 107 3
- Value pricing 593 19
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 392 1
- Childcare Vouchers 177 3
- Audit Report Query 191 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 772
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 527
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 394
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 279
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 220
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 218
- Director Loan account operation 210
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 206
- Free Tax Legislation? 193
- vat return 175