Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- What does it mean?? 334 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 284 13
- VAT on motor expenses 887 32
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 80 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 60 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,705 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,299 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 91 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 137 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 160 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 189 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 154 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 741 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 386 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 204 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 330 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 112 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 391 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 94 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 327 15
- Skandia using wrong address 1,547
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 471
- NOVA 328
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 230
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 219
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Management expenses for investment company 207
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 202
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 190