Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,613 23
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 74 6
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 68 1
- Who can I refer leads to? 230 6
- Companies House 278 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 81 2
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 95 2
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 320 9
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 100 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 207 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 662 8
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 648 14
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 131 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 664 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 475 5
- Director self assessment 403 16
- SA tax assessments 166 2
- Sage Import Data 176 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 238 2
- Dividend Vouchers 284 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 427
- CTA study material 391
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 288
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 267
- Pre incorp expenses 239
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 216
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 210
- Slight twist on employment related securities 195
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 142
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 140