Deducting damages from employee pay - taken from net or gross?
I got asked this question yesterday, and i should probably know the answer, but it hasn't come up before in my short career and therefore intrigued me to find out for my own sake. I've looked all round google and HMRC docs to find the answer, but still cannot see it in black and white. So now i seek the help of accountingweb members.
If it had been agreed in the employment contract that damages incurred to equipment etc could be deducted from employee pay, would these be deducted from the gross or net figure?
I'm heavily lent toward it being deducted from the net, only because what i have learnt about pre tax deductions consists mainly of pensions and similar.
It makes sense that these expense are incurred for the purpose of the trade (IE wouldn't have been incurred anyway, required to get business back to operating as before) however i have also seen a case whereby other damages were not allowable as a pre tax deduction as it effectively shared the burden with society.
Maybe i have read to much into this now and have muddled my own thinking, so please can someone just clear this up and point me in the right direction.
- Childcare vouchers 350 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 34 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 50 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 44 1
- two business from one premises 170 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 37 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 238 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 385 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 310 4
- Merry Christmas 98 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 75 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,072 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 414 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,423 9
- Using home as clients registered address 145 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 534 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 111 2
- How much does the company pay 717 30
- AIA 291 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 181 5
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 506
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 324
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 274
- WWOOFers 264
- The booking.com con 247
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 241
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 217
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177