Definition of 'Money Borrowed' under S417
Company A paid expenses on behalf of company B and HMRC are arguing that they are associated as a loan creditor by virtue of S417(7) TA 1988. HMRC contend that although no money changed hands the fact that A paid expenses on behalf of B this constitutes ‘money borrowed’ under the above section.
There are no shareholding issues which give rise to the two companies being associated and there is some normal trading that happens between the companies. The expenses paid were posted to a seperate general ledger account by the book-keeper rather than to the sales / purchase ledger accounts, hence why HMRC picked up on the matter.
PTP Tax Tip No 38 defines ‘money borrowed’ as borrowing cash or the transfer of money and quotes the example of a company paying for stock on behalf of another, it goes on to say that in that example the indebtedness is for stock acquired and not money borrowed. In my client’s case I see the indebtedness as for expenses paid not for money borrowed. HMRC say that our client’s circumstances are ‘entirely different’ from the example quoted in the PTP example as it relates to rent charged but not paid for.
I thought the starting point for interpretating leglistation was the literal approach in that words were given their ordinary, everday meaning and to my mind money borrowed means exactly that i.e. you borrow money from someone and then use it generally for whatever purpose you wish. Whilst paying expenses for someone gives rise to a debt, is it really a debt money borrowed as required by the Act?
Are my good friends (!) at HMRC correct or should I contest the matter further?
Does anyone know of any cases which might support my argument?
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 262 5
- Experienced Mentor 68 1
- Sole trader - bank statements 166 12
- Am i Liable? 452 14
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 860 14
- RTI 215 6
- which software to use? 301 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,027 63
- overdrawn directors loan account 148 4
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 267 11
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 236 3
- audit for 50% associate? 53 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 740 18
- PAYE coding notices 175 2
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 118 2
- Property scam victim 534 13
- Christmas party 230 2
- VAT on garage rent 372 15
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 420 4
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 206 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,242
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 615
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 321
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 217
- Alphabet shares 201
- Agent fees to sell business 194
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 192
- Office recharges 157
- Tax position on lease extension 145