Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- OneNote is fantastic 164 5
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,293 35
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 652 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,107 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 58 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 317 5
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 223 2
- PPR on a development? 224 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 330 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 895 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,789 15
- Cloud accounting package 187 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,023 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 511 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 306 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 198 3
- Next Move 401 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 415 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 232 4
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 349 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 637
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 395
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 240
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 223