Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 214 3
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 123 2
- are receipts needed? 523 14
- Gift of property & improvements 141 3
- General tax book with planning 192 3
- VAT Invoice 194 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 277 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 236 9
- Error in past Corporate tax return 374 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,262 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 308 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 817 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 139 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 251 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 171 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 476 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 399 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 265 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 216 6
- Accounting for a finance lease 179 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 902
- International interest certificate 513
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 303
- Management expenses for investment company 268
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 176
- tax on apprenticeship income 176
- P11D benefit received by widow 153