Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,602 66
- rates of pay query 209 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 80 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 133 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 193 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 94 1
- Overpayment relief claim 148 5
- Charity reserves 128 3
- Have i messed up? 651 10
- Year end 352 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 210 3
- Comments on this scenario 86 1
- Related Parties Note 417 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 100 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 126 4
- loss on carbon credits 106 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 585 9
- SAGE con 197 3
- Dazed & confused 194 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 238 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,007
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 544
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 360
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 273
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 213
- Charge out rates in London? 208
- Personal consumption by landlord 181
- Interest on Loan to a Company 173
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 149