Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- Real names 237 8
- Builder - Roll over relief 353 16
- What are options for non CA firm 1,277 14
- Studying accountant has hit a brick wall - help me! 2,084 19
- Use of aliases 652 17
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 139 5
- Accounting Crew 788 17
- Dividend payment date 1,766 30
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 63 1
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 470 12
- Complete business outside UK 114 2
- What's the plural? 583 12
- to VAT or not to VAT 148 3
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 258 11
- Loan interest rental property 150 4
- Processing RTI whilst on holiday 2,848 47
- Unclaimed customer balance 140 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 376 3
- Self Employed travel 334 7
- Company Secretarial Software 1,253 26
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 566
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 421
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 324
- IFA incorporation 298
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 290
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 279
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 245
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 232
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 216
- Sorry ignore me 177