Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- VAT invoice 172 5
- Received a CIS invoice 236 8
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 178 8
- Fee protection 1,067 24
- Accounting for software development costs 234 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 224 7
- How to print invoice payment history Sage 50 Pro 26 1
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 398 5
- Anyone done ATT? 213 5
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 311 4
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 71 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,634 54
- Bereavment payment 336 4
- indexation factors 72 2
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,628 13
- LLP Salaried Partners 130 1
- claim fees with out without VAT? 133 2
- Vat on motor repairs 139 3
- saturday staff 348 3
- Free accounts system for small business? 259 5
- Xtuple 575
- Qtac payroll for bureau 403
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 350
- Domain name sale and limited company 249
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 238
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 221
- Tax on damages received 202
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 194
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 162
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 160