Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 232 10
- Companies House 199 3
- Gross Profit Percentage 269 5
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 155 1
- How to Value a Business 482 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 153 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 562 13
- How much did you pay for your website 502 13
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 126 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 389 7
- Company Pension Contributions 275 6
- Expenses allowable 192 3
- Let Property Campaign 394 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 145 1
- Self employment trap - pension 355 3
- Awkward IP 623 9
- ESC A19 139 2
- When does my Property business start 279 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,543 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 881 19
- CTA study material 604
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 598
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 369
- Employment related securities question 227
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 200
- ATED Penalties 197
- AIM Stocks and IHT 179
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 139
- Expat pension contributions? 130
- Trust for Employee 126