Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- Late leaver notification 393 8
- What does PITA mean? 864 22
- Any printer recommendations? 222 7
- PAYE & NIC 299 22
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 267 5
- Interim dividends 226 6
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,118 7
- proposed dividends 705 23
- Business loan not in client's name 128 1
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 176 2
- VAT on Exhibition services 161 4
- Company Payroll 211 2
- Dates, more dates and cessation 132 2
- Out of date tax returns 293 2
- Filling in my self assessment 999 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 193 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 385 7
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 487 6
- FPS responses ... 556 16
- Nominal Codes 301 9
- Sanzar 502
- Digital marketing focus group 401
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 382
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 340
- Sainsbury's mangement 338
- Continuity Agreement 331
- Avanti Accounts 330
- Buyback 289
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 237
- Aggresive sales from Iris 208