Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,691 61
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 278 5
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 827 20
- The importance of Grammar 902 24
- New starter - tax code 180 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 121 2
- PI cover 102 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 128 2
- HMRC site down ? 165 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 140 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 203 3
- Xero Pain Points 257 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 94 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 122 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 162 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 384 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 152 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 593 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 234 3
- Childcare 275 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 285
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 272
- Electric Car 223
- S222 Charge 203
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 196
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 174