Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 103 4
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 113 3
- property rental income split 235 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 450 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 69 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 73 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,237 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,103 339
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 384 21
- Use of home for storage 304 6
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 312 10
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 770 15
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,224 21
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 338 4
- VAT on stock sold at a loss 200 6
- Commercial property rental on disincorporation 79 1
- Payments on account coded out?? 291 1
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 357 9
- Mortgage deposit Gift 402 17
- What should I do for 'free' 619 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,182
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 399
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 312
- National Insurance 306
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 259
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 232
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 232
- Non Resident 216
- Franchise income and costs 199
- Hands on experience of Digita 139