Depreciation and Costings
I have a particular question about cost accounting and depreciation . This is also tied up with pricing.
The basic question is if, in a job costing system, I should or shouldn't include a depreciation value into the overhead calculation which will then feed into an overhead cost per direct labour hour for a service, not a product company.
The background is this:
I have recently calculated an overhead charge per direct labour hour. This was based on an analysis I made on the previous 12 months figures.
From this overhead charge per direct labour hour, I can calculate how much a job has cost to perform. I use the job's time card plus the cost of the direct materials to determine this.
The price we charge to the customer per job, is on average, the cost price plus 20%.
Recently, we bought a new piece of equipment and this has reduced the time spent on each job in terms of direct labour hours.
This has in turn made the process more efficient and reduced our cost price.
This, based on our sales price formula of cost price plus 20% could, theoretically, reduce the price we charge to our customers.
(This may be good for competition on price, but it doesn't feed the cost of the investment so far as I can see)
My thoughts are that an annual charge for depreciation should be included into an overhead calculation for costing purposes since if this isn't there, the cost of new investment isn't a component of the price charged out.
Any help welcomed :-)
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 236 7
- Director's tax return 311 7
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 68 1
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 156 2
- Sage Payroll 306 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 198 6
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,050 33
- vat return 254 3
- Flat rate vat 137 1
- Value pricing 725 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 159 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 225 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 291 4
- Reregister for VAT 152 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 201 6
- Weely paid employees 254 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 502 11
- Wrong career 494 18
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 299 7
- Laptop purchase 1,413 20
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 799
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 553
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 421
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 300
- Free Tax Legislation? 269
- Director Loan account operation 251
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 247
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 241
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 230
- Paye procedures for CVA 160