Desecration of Chartered status
I have group of friends from University who've gone into a variety of "professions" such as chartered accountant, solicitors, doctors, IT consultants, engineers and vets.
Talking to a solicitor friend recently I asked "knowing then what you know now would you still go into law". The answer was emphatically no! Because the rewards do not match the risks and efforts required.
A friend who is an IT consultant (albeit a very good one) earns £1,500 a day does not pay membership fees, does not pay PII, has no governing body, did not have to study professional qualifications, does not need to do CPD.
As a Chartered Accountant the reward is simply not commensurate to the responsibilities and the associated risks. The term Chartered has been diluted to mean any old cra*. At Christmas I returned to the village where I grew to visit family. I bumped into the mother of an old friend, when I asked what her daughter was doing she said she was a Chartered Accountant. Who did she train with? I asked. South Hampton Council was the answer. Really, I wasn't aware you can train with a council?On no she's a CIPFA. Says it all.
Despite only ICAEW and ICAS being entitled to use the Chartered designation it seems everybody uses the term now. The problem is not limited to dubious accountancy bodies fraudulently using the Chartered term but the general over use of the term Chartered. The Chartered institute of marketing? the Chartered institute of environemental health? What next the chartered institute of toilet cleaners? Add to this the fact "accountant" in the UK is an unprotected term makes an absolute nonsense of the profession.
The profession (and I use the term very loosely) is not in a good place and needs a major overhaul to protect itself and to move forward into a global era.
- Dress code 1,399 32
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 141 1
- Limited company buying director's car 94 5
- Scottish Independance 653 17
- Entrepeneurs relief 196 10
- How to complain about HMRC 1,300 15
- Historical figures for WTC 52 1
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 93 1
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 128 2
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 145 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 418 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,150 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 109 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 256 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 423 6
- WC's and capital allowances 103 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 259 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 890 10
- carry back of gift aid 125 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 139 3
- CTA study material 756
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 467
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 362
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 246
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 145
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142