Desecration of Chartered status
I have group of friends from University who've gone into a variety of "professions" such as chartered accountant, solicitors, doctors, IT consultants, engineers and vets.
Talking to a solicitor friend recently I asked "knowing then what you know now would you still go into law". The answer was emphatically no! Because the rewards do not match the risks and efforts required.
A friend who is an IT consultant (albeit a very good one) earns £1,500 a day does not pay membership fees, does not pay PII, has no governing body, did not have to study professional qualifications, does not need to do CPD.
As a Chartered Accountant the reward is simply not commensurate to the responsibilities and the associated risks. The term Chartered has been diluted to mean any old cra*. At Christmas I returned to the village where I grew to visit family. I bumped into the mother of an old friend, when I asked what her daughter was doing she said she was a Chartered Accountant. Who did she train with? I asked. South Hampton Council was the answer. Really, I wasn't aware you can train with a council?On no she's a CIPFA. Says it all.
Despite only ICAEW and ICAS being entitled to use the Chartered designation it seems everybody uses the term now. The problem is not limited to dubious accountancy bodies fraudulently using the Chartered term but the general over use of the term Chartered. The Chartered institute of marketing? the Chartered institute of environemental health? What next the chartered institute of toilet cleaners? Add to this the fact "accountant" in the UK is an unprotected term makes an absolute nonsense of the profession.
The profession (and I use the term very loosely) is not in a good place and needs a major overhaul to protect itself and to move forward into a global era.
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 185 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 68 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 59 1
- Overpayment relief claim 140 5
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 121 9
- Charity reserves 123 3
- Have i messed up? 628 10
- rates of pay query 193 2
- Year end 339 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 196 3
- Comments on this scenario 69 1
- Related Parties Note 412 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 84 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 118 4
- loss on carbon credits 100 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 568 9
- SAGE con 186 3
- Dazed & confused 177 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 232 2
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 230 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,005
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 543
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 212
- Charge out rates in London? 208
- Personal consumption by landlord 179
- Interest on Loan to a Company 172
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 149