Desecration of Chartered status
I have group of friends from University who've gone into a variety of "professions" such as chartered accountant, solicitors, doctors, IT consultants, engineers and vets.
Talking to a solicitor friend recently I asked "knowing then what you know now would you still go into law". The answer was emphatically no! Because the rewards do not match the risks and efforts required.
A friend who is an IT consultant (albeit a very good one) earns £1,500 a day does not pay membership fees, does not pay PII, has no governing body, did not have to study professional qualifications, does not need to do CPD.
As a Chartered Accountant the reward is simply not commensurate to the responsibilities and the associated risks. The term Chartered has been diluted to mean any old cra*. At Christmas I returned to the village where I grew to visit family. I bumped into the mother of an old friend, when I asked what her daughter was doing she said she was a Chartered Accountant. Who did she train with? I asked. South Hampton Council was the answer. Really, I wasn't aware you can train with a council?On no she's a CIPFA. Says it all.
Despite only ICAEW and ICAS being entitled to use the Chartered designation it seems everybody uses the term now. The problem is not limited to dubious accountancy bodies fraudulently using the Chartered term but the general over use of the term Chartered. The Chartered institute of marketing? the Chartered institute of environemental health? What next the chartered institute of toilet cleaners? Add to this the fact "accountant" in the UK is an unprotected term makes an absolute nonsense of the profession.
The profession (and I use the term very loosely) is not in a good place and needs a major overhaul to protect itself and to move forward into a global era.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 940 29
- You know its over 306 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 481 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 204 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 160 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 145 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 220 3
- Cocaine anyone? 498 8
- Late Registration for VAT 478 13
- EIS/SEIS 135 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 269 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 409 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 415 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 705 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 550 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 583 4
- Personal pension 397 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 220 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,212 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 165 3
- Hive up 488
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 453
- corporate hierarchy 433
- Advice - 270
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 223
- WWOOFers 216
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 205
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 193
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 175
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 172