Desecration of Chartered status
I have group of friends from University who've gone into a variety of "professions" such as chartered accountant, solicitors, doctors, IT consultants, engineers and vets.
Talking to a solicitor friend recently I asked "knowing then what you know now would you still go into law". The answer was emphatically no! Because the rewards do not match the risks and efforts required.
A friend who is an IT consultant (albeit a very good one) earns £1,500 a day does not pay membership fees, does not pay PII, has no governing body, did not have to study professional qualifications, does not need to do CPD.
As a Chartered Accountant the reward is simply not commensurate to the responsibilities and the associated risks. The term Chartered has been diluted to mean any old cra*. At Christmas I returned to the village where I grew to visit family. I bumped into the mother of an old friend, when I asked what her daughter was doing she said she was a Chartered Accountant. Who did she train with? I asked. South Hampton Council was the answer. Really, I wasn't aware you can train with a council?On no she's a CIPFA. Says it all.
Despite only ICAEW and ICAS being entitled to use the Chartered designation it seems everybody uses the term now. The problem is not limited to dubious accountancy bodies fraudulently using the Chartered term but the general over use of the term Chartered. The Chartered institute of marketing? the Chartered institute of environemental health? What next the chartered institute of toilet cleaners? Add to this the fact "accountant" in the UK is an unprotected term makes an absolute nonsense of the profession.
The profession (and I use the term very loosely) is not in a good place and needs a major overhaul to protect itself and to move forward into a global era.
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 614 12
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 314 7
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 93 1
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,125 11
- Strike off 408 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 115 2
- auto enrolment 274 1
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 301 6
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 324 3
- converting garage to use as office 175 1
- Private use of vans 148 1
- My friend may have unknowingly participated in a tax avoidance scheme... 664 6
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,146 92
- Directors pension 265 3
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 620 24
- Bookkeeping for voluntary organisations 133 1
- accounts software for a hotel 179 4
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 122 1
- charities 181 2
- Seeking advice: Penalty for 3-year Non-notified Self-Employed? 299 3
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 372
- Any thoughts on Capium? 322
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 290
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 266
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 251
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 223
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 176
- French ConnectionUK 161
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 158
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 155