Desecration of Chartered status
I have group of friends from University who've gone into a variety of "professions" such as chartered accountant, solicitors, doctors, IT consultants, engineers and vets.
Talking to a solicitor friend recently I asked "knowing then what you know now would you still go into law". The answer was emphatically no! Because the rewards do not match the risks and efforts required.
A friend who is an IT consultant (albeit a very good one) earns £1,500 a day does not pay membership fees, does not pay PII, has no governing body, did not have to study professional qualifications, does not need to do CPD.
As a Chartered Accountant the reward is simply not commensurate to the responsibilities and the associated risks. The term Chartered has been diluted to mean any old cra*. At Christmas I returned to the village where I grew to visit family. I bumped into the mother of an old friend, when I asked what her daughter was doing she said she was a Chartered Accountant. Who did she train with? I asked. South Hampton Council was the answer. Really, I wasn't aware you can train with a council?On no she's a CIPFA. Says it all.
Despite only ICAEW and ICAS being entitled to use the Chartered designation it seems everybody uses the term now. The problem is not limited to dubious accountancy bodies fraudulently using the Chartered term but the general over use of the term Chartered. The Chartered institute of marketing? the Chartered institute of environemental health? What next the chartered institute of toilet cleaners? Add to this the fact "accountant" in the UK is an unprotected term makes an absolute nonsense of the profession.
The profession (and I use the term very loosely) is not in a good place and needs a major overhaul to protect itself and to move forward into a global era.
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 53 4
- Claiming VAT on car lease 240 17
- Is it just me ... 85 4
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 80 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 296 10
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 99 1
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 198 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,403 18
- R&D - HMRC Manual 83 2
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 346 14
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 248 5
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,136 27
- How to network with other Accountants? 583 3
- Any reasons for a dissolved company to comply with HMRC requesting Corporation Tax and Tax Returns 536 21
- Advice for new build property 117 3
- Should training costs being reclaimed be deducted from gross or net salary 293 5
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 291 8
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 235 3
- Claiming accommodation as employment expense? 164 1
- Sage Line 50 111 2
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 737
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 402
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 349
- Electric Car 286
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 181
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 175
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 165
- AIA 160
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 153