Desecration of Chartered status
I have group of friends from University who've gone into a variety of "professions" such as chartered accountant, solicitors, doctors, IT consultants, engineers and vets.
Talking to a solicitor friend recently I asked "knowing then what you know now would you still go into law". The answer was emphatically no! Because the rewards do not match the risks and efforts required.
A friend who is an IT consultant (albeit a very good one) earns £1,500 a day does not pay membership fees, does not pay PII, has no governing body, did not have to study professional qualifications, does not need to do CPD.
As a Chartered Accountant the reward is simply not commensurate to the responsibilities and the associated risks. The term Chartered has been diluted to mean any old cra*. At Christmas I returned to the village where I grew to visit family. I bumped into the mother of an old friend, when I asked what her daughter was doing she said she was a Chartered Accountant. Who did she train with? I asked. South Hampton Council was the answer. Really, I wasn't aware you can train with a council?On no she's a CIPFA. Says it all.
Despite only ICAEW and ICAS being entitled to use the Chartered designation it seems everybody uses the term now. The problem is not limited to dubious accountancy bodies fraudulently using the Chartered term but the general over use of the term Chartered. The Chartered institute of marketing? the Chartered institute of environemental health? What next the chartered institute of toilet cleaners? Add to this the fact "accountant" in the UK is an unprotected term makes an absolute nonsense of the profession.
The profession (and I use the term very loosely) is not in a good place and needs a major overhaul to protect itself and to move forward into a global era.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 512 5
- See you all on the other side 645 6
- 12Pay 367 2
- dividends 498 2
- R&D 279 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,135 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 420 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 359 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 328 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 516 5
- Seeking a tax case 592 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 455 4
- Companies house strike off 448 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 368 2
- Moving to the cloud 713 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 205 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 864 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 193 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,072 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 464 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 544
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 411
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 361
- IRIS and FRS 102 343
- Capitalising Finance Lease 309
- USA help 306
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 281
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 277
- Capital gains on rental property 253
- Sage Coretime 228