Desecration of Chartered status
I have group of friends from University who've gone into a variety of "professions" such as chartered accountant, solicitors, doctors, IT consultants, engineers and vets.
Talking to a solicitor friend recently I asked "knowing then what you know now would you still go into law". The answer was emphatically no! Because the rewards do not match the risks and efforts required.
A friend who is an IT consultant (albeit a very good one) earns £1,500 a day does not pay membership fees, does not pay PII, has no governing body, did not have to study professional qualifications, does not need to do CPD.
As a Chartered Accountant the reward is simply not commensurate to the responsibilities and the associated risks. The term Chartered has been diluted to mean any old cra*. At Christmas I returned to the village where I grew to visit family. I bumped into the mother of an old friend, when I asked what her daughter was doing she said she was a Chartered Accountant. Who did she train with? I asked. South Hampton Council was the answer. Really, I wasn't aware you can train with a council?On no she's a CIPFA. Says it all.
Despite only ICAEW and ICAS being entitled to use the Chartered designation it seems everybody uses the term now. The problem is not limited to dubious accountancy bodies fraudulently using the Chartered term but the general over use of the term Chartered. The Chartered institute of marketing? the Chartered institute of environemental health? What next the chartered institute of toilet cleaners? Add to this the fact "accountant" in the UK is an unprotected term makes an absolute nonsense of the profession.
The profession (and I use the term very loosely) is not in a good place and needs a major overhaul to protect itself and to move forward into a global era.
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 188 7
- US-UK pension problem 136 3
- FYAs on second-hand vans 22 3
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 60 3
- Limited Companies Merger 55 3
- VAT registration transfer 36 1
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 270 1
- Treatment of income for sole trader 310 3
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 255 10
- Company dividends 662 23
- Serious help with shutting down company I started as a kid? 171 3
- Dividend amount for company where tax year doesnt go to 31st March 173 4
- UK LTD Company to start working in Norway 90 2
- How to value a business asset? 177 4
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 447 15
- new partner 84 1
- Cafe Question 136 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,197 45
- Non resident income. 418 19
- Knuckle down one week to go! 1,261 24
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 890
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 588
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 555
- Latest phishing scam 492
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 363
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 332
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 260
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 179
- Capital allowances in first basis period 167
- Sabbatical payments 161