Desecration of Chartered status
I have group of friends from University who've gone into a variety of "professions" such as chartered accountant, solicitors, doctors, IT consultants, engineers and vets.
Talking to a solicitor friend recently I asked "knowing then what you know now would you still go into law". The answer was emphatically no! Because the rewards do not match the risks and efforts required.
A friend who is an IT consultant (albeit a very good one) earns £1,500 a day does not pay membership fees, does not pay PII, has no governing body, did not have to study professional qualifications, does not need to do CPD.
As a Chartered Accountant the reward is simply not commensurate to the responsibilities and the associated risks. The term Chartered has been diluted to mean any old cra*. At Christmas I returned to the village where I grew to visit family. I bumped into the mother of an old friend, when I asked what her daughter was doing she said she was a Chartered Accountant. Who did she train with? I asked. South Hampton Council was the answer. Really, I wasn't aware you can train with a council?On no she's a CIPFA. Says it all.
Despite only ICAEW and ICAS being entitled to use the Chartered designation it seems everybody uses the term now. The problem is not limited to dubious accountancy bodies fraudulently using the Chartered term but the general over use of the term Chartered. The Chartered institute of marketing? the Chartered institute of environemental health? What next the chartered institute of toilet cleaners? Add to this the fact "accountant" in the UK is an unprotected term makes an absolute nonsense of the profession.
The profession (and I use the term very loosely) is not in a good place and needs a major overhaul to protect itself and to move forward into a global era.
- transactions after account have been closed 154 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 149 5
- The stupidity continues 590 22
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 523 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 203 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 113 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,339 25
- New Employers Helpline 200 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 212 3
- Software recommendations 272 1
- Share transfer question 376 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 321 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 179 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,453 19
- Overlap relief 758 19
- What is IRIS World like? 364 8
- Pension contributions 381 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 509 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 201 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 280 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 438
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 434
- WIP Software 299
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 290
- No payroll scheme in place 234
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 206
- Is there anything wrong with this? 201
- Small Part Disposal of Property 188
- Uncommercial property business 180