I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 84 2
- 2 companies, one payroll 121 3
- Director Liability 41 1
- Freelance/Employee 357 9
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 129 4
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 377 4
- exemptions from CIS 235 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 557 10
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 182 5
- Xero Pain Points 633 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 263 13
- The importance of Grammar 1,736 52
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 214 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,671 56
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 385 3
- How much do you pay for Xero? 294 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 597 23
- Cut-off accounting question 393 8
- VAT reverse charge on consulting from EC 112 2
- VAT Reclaim 209 7
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 393
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 350
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 333
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 313
- Electric Car 265
- S222 Charge 230
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 226
- Company Structure 206
- IP trans to holding company 169
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 168