I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 985 27
- EIS Relief 139 1
- Splitting rental income on jointly owned property 148 1
- Gift or Capital Gain? 157 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 550 15
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 69 1
- S455 419 19
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 739 28
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 60 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 178 6
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 400 8
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 233 3
- Is this a scam? 1,393 25
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 221 5
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 149 4
- Wednesday rant 324 1
- RTI - new employee 73 1
- Profit split on buy-to let 313 5
- Overseas Sales 534 1
- Fax to email providers 394 14
- Benchmarking 462
- Possible Partnership? 408
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 397
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 378
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 318
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 189
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 172
- Income tax on foreign dividends 166
- Agent Registration - How Long? 164
- Clubs and Taxable Income 163