I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Pricing 303 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 227 5
- Partially exempt? 216 7
- Mexican student in UK 87 1
- Dividend in specie 173 3
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 137 7
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,010 23
- Lorry Drivers 90 1
- VAT 110 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 830 18
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 599 7
- Rental Income Tax Planning 198 3
- Vat 72 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,813 184
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 117 2
- Incorporation Relief 121 2
- First VAT Visit for client 136 2
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 249 11
- capital gains on PPR 1,441 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 326 9
- Skandia using wrong address 470
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 272
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 265
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 212
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 209
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 196
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 155