I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 257 8
- Residents Association Corp Tax 20 1
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 387 12
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 320 11
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 143 4
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 703 9
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 121 2
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 214 3
- Cash accounting to flat rate scheme 63 2
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 278 8
- SA tax assessments 206 3
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 248 3
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 124 3
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,678 24
- new capital structure ltd with investors 290 4
- Who can I refer leads to? 294 6
- Companies House 308 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 165 2
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 150 1
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 685 14
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 433
- CTA study material 391
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 291
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 249
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 220
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 218
- Slight twist on employment related securities 199
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 155
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 144