I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 209 5
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 501 16
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 302 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 207 6
- Auto Enrolment 97 1
- Not renewing AAT 859 11
- Company ceased trading 138 4
- Car benefit or not? 1,299 16
- Questions from Liquidator 2,124 22
- Casual Driver 407 6
- Email encryption 1,467 16
- New dividend taxation 732 4
- Another question on trusts and settlements 80 1
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,310 25
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 780 11
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 421 8
- Are Property Design Exhibitions Claimable 162 3
- Agent online self service 641 14
- Accountant won't release working papers 3,147 54
- What's the best software for this? 459 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 687
- Property letting & CAs 416
- 2015 tax year end 408
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 400
- FCA regulated company in a small group 353
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 330
- Costly Accounting Software contract 265
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 244
- DTA tie-breaker issue 230
- Directors' advances and credits 226