I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Anybody still doing returns? 600 26
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 326 15
- Designated sole Residence 102 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 686 15
- Anyone know what this is? 136 6
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 127 5
- HMRC filing meltdown? 856 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 457 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 247 9
- no utr 251 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,101 49
- Director drawings 596 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 275 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 72 1
- Capital Loss 105 3
- LLP formed in 2013 91 1
- Clothing 482 11
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 174 7
- Practice management 444 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 133 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 949
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 663
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 619
- Latest phishing scam 596
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 433
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 323
- Scratch Head 260
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 246
- Sabbatical payments 212
- Negligible Value Claim 192