I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 617 20
- Do I need to pay my accountant 767 10
- Audit 59 1
- carry back of gift aid 165 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 288 8
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 443 13
- Awkward IP 1,119 12
- What's in a name ? 916 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 821 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 128 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 549 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 223 3
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,078 11
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 365 6
- Potentially dodgy client 374 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 556 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 454 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 398 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 540 23
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 207 6
- CTA study material 781
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 422
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 264
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 199
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 151