I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Share premium or Directors Loan 748 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 373 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,428 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 171 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 447 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 120 3
- What would you do in this situation? 182 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 142 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 617 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 647 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 98 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 347 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 249 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 403 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 278 10
- Regional Development Grant 128 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,450 21
- Company car without a salary 245 2
- Bonus Bonds 392
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 383
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 295
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 261
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 183
- Finance Lease 158
- Company Car Lease 157
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132