I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 241 6
- Invoice Help 147 4
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 116 1
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 270 6
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 77 2
- Employee overpaid who has left 149 3
- Peer to Peer lending 812 9
- VAT B2B V's Reverse Charge 65 2
- Sorry ignore me 814 22
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 197 4
- Is this a scam? 471 6
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 268 6
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 239 5
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,218 17
- Childcare for clients 172 1
- One off meeting new client 543 9
- Employment allowance (again) :( 163 1
- illegal dividends 341 3
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 199 3
- VAT questions 313 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 618
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 527
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 381
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 290
- Cancelled 277
- Cancelled 241
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 184
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 182
- Probiz 165
- What's the market like for temps? 160