I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- corp tax software 1,034 14
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 305 13
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 423 6
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 171 4
- PRR 457 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 87 1
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 233 14
- Working from home - time apportionment 300 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 209 2
- cross border vat 119 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,922 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 785 17
- Can't read my handwriting 637 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,657 74
- Employing a carer 135 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 537 16
- Corp Tax Refund 176 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 412 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 286 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 102 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,374
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 520
- National Insurance 417
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 228
- Employer's Helpline 189
- CIS paid under reg 9 187
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 151