I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Redundancy pay for directors? 230 9
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 456 7
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 465 10
- CIC Company 444 3
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,814 47
- Small company audit 230 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 208 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 215 5
- Problem partnership fees 128 1
- Car financed by employee 114 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 112 1
- Undisclosed income 194 3
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 298 8
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 253 4
- Private Investment Company 141 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 134 1
- New company - form a group? 203 3
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 802 17
- What are options for non CA firm 2,718 57
- Is this a scam? 831 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 605
- Cancelled 353
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 288
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 261
- Probiz 248
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 204
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 189
- Car leasing scheme 186
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 185