I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 178 4
- IFA incorporation problems 125 1
- Director's loan account in credit 161 1
- Excel question - how can I easily link to a row of data with gaps between the cells? 655 23
- Excel Help - Check box and hiding cells 285 3
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,350 17
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 259 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 304 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 148 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 152 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 210 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,262 42
- Recharge for private use of a company car 144 2
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 130 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 397 7
- Wear and tear allowance 469 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 203 6
- Residency test 205 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 261 3
- VAT Turnover 165 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 702
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 693
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 372
- Social investment tax relief 189
- Call Centre Data Costs 181
- Digita Hosted Software 181
- option to tax 165
- VAT on deposits 155
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 140
- Travel costs and contractors 136