I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Late leaver notification 115 4
- Vat on solicitors charges 117 4
- A little bit of politics 450 6
- Could i ask for a bit of help please. 237 6
- Filling in my self assessment 664 14
- Should small companies be audited? 979 41
- Mileage claim restriction 359 3
- Self Assessment employed and self employed 122 1
- You know you're an accountant when... 1,400 41
- Overlap profit 566 15
- What does PITA mean? 411 9
- career 343 2
- Help required please 457 10
- Skype treating businesses as private consumers; no VAT invoices 458 1
- Help - ACCA uk practicing certification forms 219 3
- Vat to be Paid? 208 3
- CGT base cost 305 11
- Ultimate Controlling Party Disclosure Questions 250 5
- RSU and double taxation 151 1
- Can i really not unreconcile a vat return in sage? 185 1
- Sanzar 453
- Digital marketing focus group 376
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 336
- Continuity Agreement 289
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 272
- Sainsbury's mangement 266
- Buyback 263
- Avanti Accounts 243
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 200
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 172