I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Mehjoo 291 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 43 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 303 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 181 4
- SA302 314 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 282 13
- Bringing money to Uk 266 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 273 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 199 4
- Go Cardless 343 9
- Hmrc software 239 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 138 1
- Hosted email exchange 180 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 311 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 315 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 248 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 154 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 298 7
- New Email Extensions 214 1
- Xtuple 513
- Qtac payroll for bureau 352
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 297
- Industrial & Provident Societies 288
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 193
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 192
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 171
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 148