I am a Chartered Accountant who is in a steaming heap of debt. I live in a tiny house and haven't taken the micheal but due to family issues and economic pressures I have debts in excess of £120k with my spouse. My practice is a small limited company (just me) of which I am director and shareholder.
I have checked with my institute, and aside from making them aware, declaring myself bankrupt would have no bearing on my ability to practice as a chartered accountant.
I understand that I would not be able to act as a director (I could appoint a familiy member) but I understand that I would be able to continue to be a shareholder? This would satisfy the condition that more than 50% of the shares are held by a chartered accountant.
I know bankruptcy should only be considered as a last resort, but the chances of us repaying this debt are virtually nil. We strugggle to survive day to day and we have no equity in our house.
Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise if there is anything else that would affect my ability to continue with my small practice (which has no assets except a 3 year old laptop and a very cheap printer)! Also, would I need to make my clients aware? Or would they be able to obtain the information (short of doing a credit check - which if they did anyway would raise concerns).
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 12 1
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 76 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 685 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 264 4
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 256 2
- Old CGT loss 333 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 256 2
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 161 6
- Start up allowance? 472 13
- New Starter Checklist 315 9
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 443 7
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 816 22
- Goodwill complications 352 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 597 21
- HMRC Distraint 252 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 213 2
- Will I need to resign? 706 9
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 137 3
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 395 8
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 462 7
- TheTax Donut 1,071
- Follower cases 512
- Hive up 446
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 413
- corporate hierarchy 405
- LIVE chat, starting now 390
- Advice - 225
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 198
- Amortisation of Goodwill 195
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 182