Dilution of Entrepreneur's Relief
Client owns shares in a limited company - 100% shareholder, also director.
5 years ago company built a property and received rental income.
1.5 years ago this property was sold and made a substantial gain (tax has been paid).
Company then used the net proceeds to fund a building project (with no intention to rent) which has been sold to a third party. Company is now building a third proeprty which is to be sold to a third party.
Up to the point when the first property was sold the company was an investement company, and then became a trading company when the building activities started.
If my client formally liquidates the company after selling the third property (and paying all the CT due on the trading activities), will he be entitled to full ER on the gain at liquidation? Or will there be a time apportionment between the period of being an investment company and being a trading company?
My reading of the legislation suggest that he will be entitled to ER in full but someone has suggested that I should check time apportionment.
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 137 4
- Easy way to not pay tax 115 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 345 14
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 196 2
- Builder using cash labour 109 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 213 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 437 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 269 10
- Was I rude 817 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 324 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 218 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 296 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 303 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 211 6
- Non-compete agreement 189 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 205 1
- Any views 741 1
- IRIS Practice Management 155 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 115 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 116 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,487
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 301
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 211
- Bonus Bonds 180
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172