Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Additional information attached to accounts 174 2
- CIS Software 105 1
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 80 5
- Company assets 359 16
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 217 6
- MoneySoft 161 2
- Late RTI filing re SMP 86 1
- Best way to advise a limited company client 59 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 658 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 143 2
- Self assessment 144 1
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 142 2
- Claiming VAT 124 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,118 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 176 4
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 272 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 269 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 152 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 509 9
- Director resignation 740 21
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 503
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 477
- Is there anything wrong with this? 278
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 266
- Uncommercial property business 241
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 204
- Registering online CWF1 183
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 179
- Accrued income scheme 179
- VAT - registration needed? 177