Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Mandatory Capitalisation 99 2
- Running Sage on a Mac 84 1
- Allowable expenses on retal property 89 1
- Need help with How much or do I charge to much 154 3
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,309 94
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 278 5
- Cash bashed (FRS) vs cash accounting (standard VAT)? 117 2
- notarising & legalising documents 164 4
- question 433 4
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 397 11
- Income prior to company formation 204 8
- VAT on farm machinery sold 116 2
- Seeking advice: Tax on investing in a subsidiary 145 6
- Property pages or self-employed? 144 2
- Any thoughts on Capium? 419 3
- When to register or not for PAYE 455 8
- Can criminal action be a defence? 205 5
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,415 14
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 312 6
- Chargeable Gains - CT600 103 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 398
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 285
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 260
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 254
- French ConnectionUK 202
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 188
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 186
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 181
- APN's 173
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 147