Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Goodie bag 530 19
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 276 4
- Husband Wife let property 217 6
- Budget 2015 predictions 312 7
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 301 7
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 30 1
- Freehold Property Depreciation 388 16
- How do I save face? 309 7
- Employee invoicing employer 45 1
- Warning - Spam "from" ICAEW 513 3
- brightpay? 116 1
- Director unable to work through illness 127 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 230 6
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 372 8
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 140 2
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 276 1
- Claiming VAT without invoice 411 5
- Directors loan - no longer a director 397 5
- Career in Practice 235 5
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 97 2
- Possible Partnership? 615
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 504
- New Fangled Penalties 419
- Clubs and Taxable Income 339
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 308
- Loans to other companies 250
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 223
- Outsource Data Entry 218
- Fuming! 213