Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Partnership returns software 113 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 820 18
- Tasks for new trainees 170 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 284 10
- VAT on garage rent 150 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 97 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 171 3
- Property scam victim 326 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 251 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 67 1
- Have i messed up? 760 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 427 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 64 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 122 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 84 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 89 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 581 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 111 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,659 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 277 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,101
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 579
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 386
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 291
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 191
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157