Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Accounts Software 107 5
- HMRC Agents Line 186 4
- calculation DTR restriction 73 1
- Company Director In Prison 435 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 51 1
- AWeb - download file 158 3
- Charity work 229 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 233 6
- Director Drawings 146 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,674 38
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 257 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 221 7
- Collection or business assets 99 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 265 8
- Tax position re this lease? 370 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 719 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 103 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,673 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 89 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 348 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 674
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 515
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 203