Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Capital Gains Query 35 1
- Share restructure 251 9
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 395 7
- Unknown cash receipt 1,386 12
- Is an iPad a taxable benefit? 75 1
- Shareholder Loan write off 540 25
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 278 4
- CGT on Property 154 1
- Vat on sales invoice which includes expenses 139 3
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 728 19
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 341 9
- Gross sales to purchases 203 2
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 191 3
- Capital allowances 143 2
- RTI Filing 1,387 21
- Loan to a participator 166 4
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 377 7
- Import VAT can be set off against output VAT liability or not 116 3
- £2000 Employment Allowance 187 1
- Staff entertaining or not? 370 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 714
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 482
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 318
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 308
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 255
- growth voucher supplier 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 191
- VAT on Gaming Machines 189
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 161
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 161