Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,086 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 125 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 600 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 118 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 119 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 168 1
- How to deal with prior year error 166 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 536 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,342 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,050 20
- Tax Calculations 657 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 414 4
- Exemption from CGT 246 2
- VAT Registration 252 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 467 14
- Autumn statement predictions 444 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 347 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 196 3
- Moneysoft error 436 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 649 26