Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 350 11
- Start-up cost recognition 75 1
- SA316s 67 1
- Lunches 122 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 358 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 111 3
- Generic notification message 247 6
- Property Expenses 204 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 690 21
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 802 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 90 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 487 13
- Swiching tax 489 14
- Accrued salary unpaid 245 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,178 18
- Basis periods 88 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 102 2
- CGT on spouse's death 301 11
- Starting Again 316 11
- CT101 Completion 140 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 598
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 586
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 385
- Pensions Regulator 350
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 288
- Using the correct forms 264
- SA penalty proposals 255
- RTI - duplicate employee record 248
- Accelerated payment notices 231
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 223