Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Claiming VAT on car lease 44 8
- How to network with other Accountants? 511 3
- Any reasons for a dissolved company to comply with HMRC requesting Corporation Tax and Tax Returns 468 21
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,052 26
- Advice for new build property 44 3
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 241 8
- Should training costs being reclaimed be deducted from gross or net salary 271 5
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,287 17
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 203 4
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 276 8
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 209 3
- Claiming accommodation as employment expense? 118 1
- Sage Line 50 93 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,934 58
- mileage claim via self assessment - how far back? 150 2
- HMRC Post 363 5
- Freelance/Employee 581 14
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 540 11
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 338 8
- Employment Allowance 382 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 401
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 370
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 345
- Electric Car 283
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 181
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 178
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 167
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 163
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 153