Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Charge for tax returns 65 3
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 83 2
- interest in client bank account 51 1
- Company Number 10000000 708 6
- Childcare voucher scheme for a director earning the minimum amount 173 9
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 452 9
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 353 6
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 507 16
- Large director's pension contribution 384 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 64 1
- Auto Enrolment 71 1
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 304 8
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 567 13
- will this work for IHT 301 3
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 191 3
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 186 2
- Online or Paper 64-8? 384 7
- Notes on related parties 122 4
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 291 2
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 618 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 776
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 460
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 277
- DTA tie-breaker issue 268
- CGT for NOn UK residents 230
- Apprenticeship Levy 205
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 199
- Capital Gains personal representatives 185
- Just checking re PSA 181
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 173