Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 108 6
- payroll software 381 4
- client threatening legal action 2,107 30
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 137 2
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 148 1
- Instant CPD offer 292 4
- Cash basis 530 13
- Income from rent charged to business 155 2
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 453 5
- Statutory sick pay 319 4
- Dividend in specie 374 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 228 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 183 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 149 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 278 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 299 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 179 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 418 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,863 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 340 3
- Skandia using wrong address 584
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 311
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 310
- Employee rewards 291
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 261
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 232
- Etax Australian 191
- LLP in Construction Industry 158
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 135
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 135