Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 215 6
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 230 5
- Employed clients and expenses 762 13
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 34 1
- FRS 102 Fair Value v open market value 106 2
- Taxfiler V's BTC 807 31
- Quickbooks 2015 171 1
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 363 13
- Sage reporting 105 4
- SA302's anyone?? 2,776 41
- Directors loan accounts 247 6
- Professional Clearance 1,512 23
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 341 8
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 113 2
- Change of director first name on Annual Return 124 2
- BTC Software 265 9
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 200 7
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 102 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 572 30
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,715 25
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,014
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 523
- NOVA 481
- Bonus Bonds 361
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 346
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 261
- Payment for Promotional Samples 234
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 233
- Friendly Pensions 158
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 147