Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Partnership Registration 27 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 866 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 77 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 648 12
- Audit Required 1,172 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 292 9
- Residential Management Companies 66 2
- Value pricing 2,840 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 384 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 376 11
- Payroll software for Mac 114 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 97 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 211 5
- CIS and Close Company 196 6
- LLP members share of profits 631 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 423 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 135 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 96 1
- Registered Office 102 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 108 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 936
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 659
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 390
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 330
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 254
- Paye procedures for CVA 246
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 242
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 191
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 188
- Pension Fixed Protection 184