Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 331 6
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 84 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 326 11
- Starting up in practice - safety net 153 3
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 212 4
- Rental property company 109 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 306 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 262 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 384 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 158 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 197 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 148 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 493 5
- Director's tax return 401 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 184 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,139 34
- Flat rate vat 242 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 197 5
- Coming in from the cold 393 3
- Splitting the tax year 194 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 822
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 572
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 438
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 320
- Free Tax Legislation? 293
- Director Loan account operation 272
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 261
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 259
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 236
- Paye procedures for CVA 179