Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Project being run jointly 162 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 290 4
- Companies House 574 9
- Dress code 328 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 109 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 307 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 713 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,418 25
- What would you do in this situation? 588 13
- Help Required 368 10
- directors control and tax problems 231 5
- Fastest Software 785 13
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 955 28
- What's in a name ? 340 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 268 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 452 15
- Bulk Invoicing 185 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 167 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 254 2
- ATED Penalties 280 1
- CTA study material 710
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 432
- Employment related securities question 272
- AIM Stocks and IHT 249
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 206
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 195
- Trust for Employee 191
- Expat pension contributions? 189
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 186
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 163