Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 409 5
- WIP valuation at year end 47 1
- Business loan not in client's name 150 2
- Company Payroll 251 3
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,153 8
- Late leaver notification 407 8
- What does PITA mean? 888 22
- Any printer recommendations? 242 7
- PAYE & NIC 358 22
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 320 5
- Interim dividends 246 6
- proposed dividends 715 23
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 181 2
- VAT on Exhibition services 164 4
- Dates, more dates and cessation 150 2
- Out of date tax returns 302 2
- Filling in my self assessment 1,011 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 204 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 404 7
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 497 6
- Sanzar 505
- Digital marketing focus group 403
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 383
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 347
- Sainsbury's mangement 342
- Continuity Agreement 333
- Avanti Accounts 331
- Buyback 290
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 238
- Aggresive sales from Iris 212