Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Sweet Tooth 31 1
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 155 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 145 2
- trading or dormant 71 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 46 1
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 986 11
- tax credits 94 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 491 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 164 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 550 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 248 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 99 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 184 3
- Foreign income for self employed 117 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 616 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 69 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 486 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 223 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 219 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 855
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 297
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 222
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 216
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 184
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 154