Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Goodwill complications 78 2
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,749 18
- Personal pension 181 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 84 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 266 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 214 6
- Late Registration for VAT 95 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 980 25
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 949 26
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,133 12
- property development 257 8
- Registering a company late 165 5
- Business rates consultancy 101 2
- sale of house 627 18
- Corporation tax penalty 1,506 9
- Part Disposal of Freehold 323 13
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,815 15
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 360 6
- Are HMRC staff on early 375 5
- Backdated VAT registration claim 134 2
- TheTax Donut 992
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 655
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 611
- Follower cases 474
- Limited company purchase of property 398
- Hive up 397
- corporate hierarchy 372
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 368
- LIVE chat, starting now 302
- AIA or IFA 200