Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 995 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 230 2
- Dental practice incorpration 102 1
- Audit rules 147 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 219 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 801 20
- Go Cardless 254 8
- business entertaining deductibility 114 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 114 2
- R & D 99 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 69 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 106 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 147 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 138 1
- New Business Registration 209 5
- Hosted email exchange 128 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 145 1
- G P life time allowance 113 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 369 11
- Bringing money to Uk 214 3
- Xtuple 500
- Qtac payroll for bureau 333
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 277
- Industrial & Provident Societies 275
- Mehjoo 219
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 216
- New strategic report 169
- Domain name sale and limited company 156
- South African Government Pension 153
- CIS schemes 147