Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 92 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 197 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 188 3
- Sorry ignore me 871 24
- Invoice Help 188 5
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 534 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,910 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,219 12
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 122 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 778 20
- VAT & capitalising 43 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 289 5
- Free Shares ? 230 2
- Is this a scam? 546 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 289 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 269 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 142 1
- Peer to Peer lending 862 9
- VAT B2B V's Reverse Charge 97 2
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 210 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 621
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 529
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 292
- Cancelled 283
- Cancelled 242
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 188
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 186
- Probiz 168
- What's the market like for temps? 163
- Married woman dies owning marital home 159