Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 246 4
- Agent for mobile DJs. Could the DJs be considered to be working for him? 110 1
- UK Subsidiary of Foreign Company 91 1
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 1,020 31
- Drop Down Boxes 239 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,643 504
- Any other payroll providers transferring from Sage to Moneysoft? 161 1
- Does anyone use quotation software? 593 8
- help needed with rti paye please 168 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 864 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 422 11
- Can't read my handwriting 819 19
- Undeclared rental income 426 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 351 7
- Sick pay 262 6
- Directors self assessment 184 2
- Employer's Helpline 226 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 145 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 202 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,776 70
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,417
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 545
- National Insurance 442
- Non Resident 331
- Hands on experience of Digita 263
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 261
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 172
- Umbrella pay services 147
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 131
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 124