Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 249 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 192 4
- SA302 283 6
- Go Cardless 334 9
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 227 3
- Hmrc software 230 3
- Mehjoo 270 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 116 1
- Hosted email exchange 174 5
- South African Government Pension 182 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 169 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 291 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 310 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 246 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 150 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 289 7
- New Email Extensions 206 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 322 2
- Dental practice incorpration 160 1
- Audit rules 186 4
- Xtuple 512
- Qtac payroll for bureau 351
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 295
- Industrial & Provident Societies 286
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 183
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 179
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 164
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 147