Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- How much to charge for payroll? 714 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 131 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 110 4
- BTC vs Digita 968 29
- Seeking a tax case 237 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 266 4
- See you all on the other side 216 5
- VATABLE Income 267 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 197 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 258 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 396 6
- P11D software 88 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 445 9
- VAT - business splitting 231 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 585 16
- RTI - how to correct HMRC's error 408 7
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 951 16
- Jersey - VAT 122 2
- how to file Late annual Accounts for dormant company ? 297 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme for a Welder 225 2
- HMRC Joint Filing 520
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 391
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 350
- IRIS and FRS 102 323
- USA help 279
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 243
- Capital gains on rental property 225
- Sage Coretime 212
- Capitalising Finance Lease 209
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 199