Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,189 17
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 267 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 399 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 165 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,118 13
- Really?! 832 10
- CIS 229 5
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,376 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 651 15
- VAT 701/49 query 228 2
- backpack 320 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 183 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 267 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 351 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 199 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 184 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 197 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 150 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 259 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 469 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 706
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 417
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 359
- Costly Accounting Software contract 314
- Directors' advances and credits 259
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 255
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 223
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 203