Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 135 3
- Was I rude 726 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 156 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 142 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 281 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 204 1
- Top slicing relief question 222 2
- Valuation of PET on death 95 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 241 6
- Share swap 285 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 80 1
- Online filing 144 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 325 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,685 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 100 2
- Converting a barn for business use 86 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 233 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 114 2
- Joint rental income 125 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 336 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,474
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 807
- Any views 726
- International interest certificate 444
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 416
- Sale of business 386
- NOVA 279
- IRIS Open Books problem 279
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 195
- Expenses claim for non employee 184