Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Where has Portia gone? 5,127 113
- Help 229 11
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 290 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 120 2
- Overlap profit 301 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 326 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,073 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 146 1
- Payments on account 196 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 106 1
- What do your junior staff do? 536 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 667 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 426 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 542 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 139 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,949 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 370 3
- On the high seas 120 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 149 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 863 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 854
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 344
- How do you do it 338
- Digital marketing focus group 315
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181