Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Professional coaching claimable? 67 1
- Sage instant account codes 113 1
- Networking 122 1
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 264 4
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 165 1
- Turnover on a tax return 293 8
- incorrect old p60 448 11
- Cashflow forecasting software 302 4
- Letter to HMRC over 3 months ago, still no reply 1,931 19
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 285 4
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 247 3
- VAT refund 177 1
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 257 1
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 268 3
- Missing tax return 392 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,127 30
- Inflation and fees 1,408 24
- Sage Priority Support 192 3
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 846 24
- Micro-entity accounts 310 1