Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 200 1
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 726 16
- Servicing AE fees 211 3
- FRS 101 Software 361 1
- VAT on farm machinery sold 292 6
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 588 9
- proper link to login to HMRC online services 152 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 97 1
- When to register or not for PAYE 552 12
- Software for Accounts layout 297 5
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 260 6
- Directors Loan Account Question 487 13
- Invoicing for monthly clients 515 10
- VAT B2B EU service - curious 148 1
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,191 41
- Flat Rate VAT 267 8
- Practice software 1,207 17
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 330 7
- Redundancy pay 333 9
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 240 2
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 310
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 300
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 276
- French ConnectionUK 243
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 220
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 206
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 205
- APN's 189
- Job costing 162
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 141