Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 648 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 62 1
- Auto enrolment 101 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 81 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 76 4
- Regular Director bonus 429 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 141 1
- Registration as self-employed 102 1
- BrightPay 1,086 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 515 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 330 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,087 17
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 961 13
- BIK for an electric car 158 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,624 90
- Corporation Tax Software 366 10
- How do I save face? 2,336 14
- Goodie bag 3,082 72
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 115 1
- How many associated companies 194 2
- Possible Partnership? 684
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 533
- Fuming! 510
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 332
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 273
- Moving away from CCH software 263
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 255
- Outsource Data Entry 253
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 206