Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 296 15
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 34 1
- Money laundering POCA 175 4
- Company incorrectly marked 'dormant' by HMRC 36 1
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 61 1
- Auto-Enrolment 2,948 157
- Pricing 116 2
- P11d mistake 86 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 168 2
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 453 1
- CLG exempt under s60 122 2
- Improvement expenses allowable against rental income 136 4
- Alternative to CIS 406 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 354 4
- Supplier 1,259 13
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 143 2
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 955 22
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,011 7
- Mutual trading organisation 127 2
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 520 9
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 498
- Skandia using wrong address 441
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 239
- Employee rewards 232
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 208
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 183
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 181
- Etax Australian 149