Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 264 4
- Director's tax return 346 8
- Comapny valuation qualifications 91 1
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 159 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,090 34
- Flat rate vat 184 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 177 5
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 76 1
- Coming in from the cold 341 3
- Splitting the tax year 164 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 201 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 170 4
- Submitting tax return 169 1
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 264 8
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 137 1
- Sage Payroll 318 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 212 6
- vat return 269 3
- Value pricing 740 26
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 257 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 805
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 557
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 426
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 306
- Free Tax Legislation? 275
- Director Loan account operation 257
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 253
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 248
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 170