Director national insurance & AEP
I have a nasty suspicion I already know the answer to this question but hopefully someone might be able to point me in an alternative direction.
A colleague and I are co-directors of a start-up and have been since inception in Nov-10. The Company has only been in a position to pay salaries to our one employee and the two directors since Jul-11 i.e. from month 4 of this tax year. Prior to this, we were all working for free.
From July 11 to date, we have all been paid regular monthly salaries and basing the PAYE and NI contributions on the outputs from the HMRC Basic PAYE Tools software. Within the software, we have set the two directors to pay NIC's as if they were employees (we had originally believed this to be the most prudent approach). Having now prepared the last payroll run for this tax year (31 Mar 12), I see that the directors are now required to pay additional national insurance contributions as we are being assessed for national insurance based upon annual earnings (under the AEP) rather than month by month earnings as a normal employee would be. i.e. we are effectively expected to pay NI for the 3 months at the beginning of this tax year when we couldn't take salaries.
Is this assessment correct as it means the directors will be paying NI for the 3 months when they were unpaid and working for free whereas our employee only pays NI for the months that they were being paid salary? Is this a fault of the software not allowing for unpaid months or should I have set the software to show that we were only became directors from Jul-11 (i.e. when we starting getting paid) and therefore the NI would pro-rate and we would be treated no differently to an employee?
I know this is rather involved but I hope somebody can help as I'm waiting for a call back from HMRC but given how busy their call centre is, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance!
- SA302's anyone?? 591 17
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 35 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 339 12
- Cash in Hand 73 2
- Buy to let and capitak gain 138 4
- Busines software 131 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 183 6
- Converting a barn for business use 182 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 302 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 308 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 469 10
- are receipts needed? 606 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 294 3
- Bookkeping software 715 7
- Clogged Losses 278 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 263 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 653 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 314 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 264 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 124 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 908
- International interest certificate 520
- NOVA 370
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 319
- Management expenses for investment company 274
- Bonus Bonds 265
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 181
- P11D benefit received by widow 161
- EXACT ONLINE 154
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 151