Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33
It's all a bit of a minefield for a non-accountant learning as they go - NIC payments, £2k NIC allowance, corp tax, income tax etc.
We recently got our first years books back from our accountants and she advised that paying £1k/mth wage to myself and business partner (as directors) was inefficient, I should pay £644. So I did some reading and found that in fact with NIC allowance and only two employees currently (both directors) it would be better to pay £833.33 or thereabouts.
The difficulty for me (doing payroll and understanding all this) is I've already paid the first 3 months wages of the year at £1k (I think we get about £916 of that, £40 ish NIC and the rest income tax) and now I'm not sure if I should make an adjustment for 1 month (lowering the wage) before going onto £833 so total annual salary is 10,000 or less (being aware of the £10/k personal allowance)?
Yesterday I paid £834.00 each, £20.52 each NIC (£813.48 cleared each) and no income tax using our PayRoo software. We're signed up for the £2k NIC employers allowance a while back, so I only ended up paying the HMRC £41.04 just for NIC for employee instead of something like £80 for us both NIC and another £60-80 for income tax (I forget how much). Quite a difference!
Next up, we want to employ next month, the salary would probably be ~£20k so I'm wondering how that will affect things, if at all (with regards to the NIC employers allowance)? I don't know how to do the sums but my gut tells me on my partner and my £10k each, another employee at £20k still probably wouldn't use up all the £2k allowance anyway? Especially as it'd only be 7 months of 2014/15 anyway, so even after employing it's probably best to stick to £834/month?
Note, I realise 12 x 834 is over 10k (just) but given I've already done 3 months @ £1k/mth, a few pounds here and there isn't a big deal. I'm not trying to be the perfect zero income tax payer, I'm trying to understand it all and trying to be tax efficient to save the business as much money as I can in it's early stages. Please help me understand this clearly and advice the best course of action for the next 8 months pay.
Thanks, I really appreciate expert input!
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 738 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,148 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 699 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 59 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 253 8
- recompense capital input 190 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 104 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 226 2
- CT losses carry back 95 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 162 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 766 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 418 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,276 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 144 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 230 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 992 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 214 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 258 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 798
- RTI - duplicate employee record 564
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 335
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 184