Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33
It's all a bit of a minefield for a non-accountant learning as they go - NIC payments, £2k NIC allowance, corp tax, income tax etc.
We recently got our first years books back from our accountants and she advised that paying £1k/mth wage to myself and business partner (as directors) was inefficient, I should pay £644. So I did some reading and found that in fact with NIC allowance and only two employees currently (both directors) it would be better to pay £833.33 or thereabouts.
The difficulty for me (doing payroll and understanding all this) is I've already paid the first 3 months wages of the year at £1k (I think we get about £916 of that, £40 ish NIC and the rest income tax) and now I'm not sure if I should make an adjustment for 1 month (lowering the wage) before going onto £833 so total annual salary is 10,000 or less (being aware of the £10/k personal allowance)?
Yesterday I paid £834.00 each, £20.52 each NIC (£813.48 cleared each) and no income tax using our PayRoo software. We're signed up for the £2k NIC employers allowance a while back, so I only ended up paying the HMRC £41.04 just for NIC for employee instead of something like £80 for us both NIC and another £60-80 for income tax (I forget how much). Quite a difference!
Next up, we want to employ next month, the salary would probably be ~£20k so I'm wondering how that will affect things, if at all (with regards to the NIC employers allowance)? I don't know how to do the sums but my gut tells me on my partner and my £10k each, another employee at £20k still probably wouldn't use up all the £2k allowance anyway? Especially as it'd only be 7 months of 2014/15 anyway, so even after employing it's probably best to stick to £834/month?
Note, I realise 12 x 834 is over 10k (just) but given I've already done 3 months @ £1k/mth, a few pounds here and there isn't a big deal. I'm not trying to be the perfect zero income tax payer, I'm trying to understand it all and trying to be tax efficient to save the business as much money as I can in it's early stages. Please help me understand this clearly and advice the best course of action for the next 8 months pay.
Thanks, I really appreciate expert input!
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 39 2
- Anybody still doing returns? 804 34
- Clothing 571 18
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 280 12
- Digita in the cloud 30 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 216 7
- IHT and US resident 121 2
- Tax relief when working away 45 1
- Parent and subsidiary... 149 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 202 8
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,237 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 362 16
- Designated sole Residence 168 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 742 15
- Anyone know what this is? 313 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 932 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 560 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 285 9
- no utr 315 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,147 49
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 625
- Latest phishing scam 604
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 328
- Scratch Head 266
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 259
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199