Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33
It's all a bit of a minefield for a non-accountant learning as they go - NIC payments, £2k NIC allowance, corp tax, income tax etc.
We recently got our first years books back from our accountants and she advised that paying £1k/mth wage to myself and business partner (as directors) was inefficient, I should pay £644. So I did some reading and found that in fact with NIC allowance and only two employees currently (both directors) it would be better to pay £833.33 or thereabouts.
The difficulty for me (doing payroll and understanding all this) is I've already paid the first 3 months wages of the year at £1k (I think we get about £916 of that, £40 ish NIC and the rest income tax) and now I'm not sure if I should make an adjustment for 1 month (lowering the wage) before going onto £833 so total annual salary is 10,000 or less (being aware of the £10/k personal allowance)?
Yesterday I paid £834.00 each, £20.52 each NIC (£813.48 cleared each) and no income tax using our PayRoo software. We're signed up for the £2k NIC employers allowance a while back, so I only ended up paying the HMRC £41.04 just for NIC for employee instead of something like £80 for us both NIC and another £60-80 for income tax (I forget how much). Quite a difference!
Next up, we want to employ next month, the salary would probably be ~£20k so I'm wondering how that will affect things, if at all (with regards to the NIC employers allowance)? I don't know how to do the sums but my gut tells me on my partner and my £10k each, another employee at £20k still probably wouldn't use up all the £2k allowance anyway? Especially as it'd only be 7 months of 2014/15 anyway, so even after employing it's probably best to stick to £834/month?
Note, I realise 12 x 834 is over 10k (just) but given I've already done 3 months @ £1k/mth, a few pounds here and there isn't a big deal. I'm not trying to be the perfect zero income tax payer, I'm trying to understand it all and trying to be tax efficient to save the business as much money as I can in it's early stages. Please help me understand this clearly and advice the best course of action for the next 8 months pay.
Thanks, I really appreciate expert input!
- Non VAT invoices 144 3
- Time to ditch Sage? 158 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 247 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 146 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 277 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,365 32
- Fees 171 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 242 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 197 2
- Form 17 Download 113 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 542 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 370 4
- HMRC Information notice 987 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 268 3
- Accountant Specialization. 375 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,753 42
- Sage Line 50 172 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 188 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 453 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 395 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 412
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 363
- Electric Car 298
- S222 Charge 244
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 205
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 183
- AIA 179
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 177