Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33
It's all a bit of a minefield for a non-accountant learning as they go - NIC payments, £2k NIC allowance, corp tax, income tax etc.
We recently got our first years books back from our accountants and she advised that paying £1k/mth wage to myself and business partner (as directors) was inefficient, I should pay £644. So I did some reading and found that in fact with NIC allowance and only two employees currently (both directors) it would be better to pay £833.33 or thereabouts.
The difficulty for me (doing payroll and understanding all this) is I've already paid the first 3 months wages of the year at £1k (I think we get about £916 of that, £40 ish NIC and the rest income tax) and now I'm not sure if I should make an adjustment for 1 month (lowering the wage) before going onto £833 so total annual salary is 10,000 or less (being aware of the £10/k personal allowance)?
Yesterday I paid £834.00 each, £20.52 each NIC (£813.48 cleared each) and no income tax using our PayRoo software. We're signed up for the £2k NIC employers allowance a while back, so I only ended up paying the HMRC £41.04 just for NIC for employee instead of something like £80 for us both NIC and another £60-80 for income tax (I forget how much). Quite a difference!
Next up, we want to employ next month, the salary would probably be ~£20k so I'm wondering how that will affect things, if at all (with regards to the NIC employers allowance)? I don't know how to do the sums but my gut tells me on my partner and my £10k each, another employee at £20k still probably wouldn't use up all the £2k allowance anyway? Especially as it'd only be 7 months of 2014/15 anyway, so even after employing it's probably best to stick to £834/month?
Note, I realise 12 x 834 is over 10k (just) but given I've already done 3 months @ £1k/mth, a few pounds here and there isn't a big deal. I'm not trying to be the perfect zero income tax payer, I'm trying to understand it all and trying to be tax efficient to save the business as much money as I can in it's early stages. Please help me understand this clearly and advice the best course of action for the next 8 months pay.
Thanks, I really appreciate expert input!
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,645 28
- do i need an online accounting software 47 2
- Moneysoft Payroll 603 13
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 150 3
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,593 28
- Who gets the CGT deduction 271 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 634 9
- Property gift to sister 226 6
- VAT training 357 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 279 7
- 31st october deadline 391 6
- RTI Late Registration query 155 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 265 2
- Payroll software 187 1
- Accounting for display stands 279 7
- Companies House Search 330 3
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 343 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,544 15
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 337 3
- A Friday Funny. 379 5
- NHS finance professionals 713
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 406
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 385
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 344
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 304
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 286
- IFA income recognition & reporting 227
- Incorporating doctors 226