Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33
It's all a bit of a minefield for a non-accountant learning as they go - NIC payments, £2k NIC allowance, corp tax, income tax etc.
We recently got our first years books back from our accountants and she advised that paying £1k/mth wage to myself and business partner (as directors) was inefficient, I should pay £644. So I did some reading and found that in fact with NIC allowance and only two employees currently (both directors) it would be better to pay £833.33 or thereabouts.
The difficulty for me (doing payroll and understanding all this) is I've already paid the first 3 months wages of the year at £1k (I think we get about £916 of that, £40 ish NIC and the rest income tax) and now I'm not sure if I should make an adjustment for 1 month (lowering the wage) before going onto £833 so total annual salary is 10,000 or less (being aware of the £10/k personal allowance)?
Yesterday I paid £834.00 each, £20.52 each NIC (£813.48 cleared each) and no income tax using our PayRoo software. We're signed up for the £2k NIC employers allowance a while back, so I only ended up paying the HMRC £41.04 just for NIC for employee instead of something like £80 for us both NIC and another £60-80 for income tax (I forget how much). Quite a difference!
Next up, we want to employ next month, the salary would probably be ~£20k so I'm wondering how that will affect things, if at all (with regards to the NIC employers allowance)? I don't know how to do the sums but my gut tells me on my partner and my £10k each, another employee at £20k still probably wouldn't use up all the £2k allowance anyway? Especially as it'd only be 7 months of 2014/15 anyway, so even after employing it's probably best to stick to £834/month?
Note, I realise 12 x 834 is over 10k (just) but given I've already done 3 months @ £1k/mth, a few pounds here and there isn't a big deal. I'm not trying to be the perfect zero income tax payer, I'm trying to understand it all and trying to be tax efficient to save the business as much money as I can in it's early stages. Please help me understand this clearly and advice the best course of action for the next 8 months pay.
Thanks, I really appreciate expert input!
- Annual Report - How to? 110 4
- 15% restirction on lease cars 51 1
- CGT on 'listed co return of capital via B share' 52 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,023 14
- Investment property? 620 5
- PAYE 107 2
- Quote for client 327 8
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 257 6
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 106 2
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 198 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 51 1
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 91 1
- Investment Unrealised Gains Accounting Treatment 73 1
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 291 6
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 272 10
- error on companies house accounts 914 20
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 205 3
- ATT Exam tips and study help 135 2
- Client's company struck off 1,902 21
- Refurbised Pub 193 4
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 517
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 454
- EPS and CIS deductions 320
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 304
- Construction CIS LLP Company 295
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 279
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 228
- SAGE winforecast 218
- Overdrawn director account 202
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 200