Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33
It's all a bit of a minefield for a non-accountant learning as they go - NIC payments, £2k NIC allowance, corp tax, income tax etc.
We recently got our first years books back from our accountants and she advised that paying £1k/mth wage to myself and business partner (as directors) was inefficient, I should pay £644. So I did some reading and found that in fact with NIC allowance and only two employees currently (both directors) it would be better to pay £833.33 or thereabouts.
The difficulty for me (doing payroll and understanding all this) is I've already paid the first 3 months wages of the year at £1k (I think we get about £916 of that, £40 ish NIC and the rest income tax) and now I'm not sure if I should make an adjustment for 1 month (lowering the wage) before going onto £833 so total annual salary is 10,000 or less (being aware of the £10/k personal allowance)?
Yesterday I paid £834.00 each, £20.52 each NIC (£813.48 cleared each) and no income tax using our PayRoo software. We're signed up for the £2k NIC employers allowance a while back, so I only ended up paying the HMRC £41.04 just for NIC for employee instead of something like £80 for us both NIC and another £60-80 for income tax (I forget how much). Quite a difference!
Next up, we want to employ next month, the salary would probably be ~£20k so I'm wondering how that will affect things, if at all (with regards to the NIC employers allowance)? I don't know how to do the sums but my gut tells me on my partner and my £10k each, another employee at £20k still probably wouldn't use up all the £2k allowance anyway? Especially as it'd only be 7 months of 2014/15 anyway, so even after employing it's probably best to stick to £834/month?
Note, I realise 12 x 834 is over 10k (just) but given I've already done 3 months @ £1k/mth, a few pounds here and there isn't a big deal. I'm not trying to be the perfect zero income tax payer, I'm trying to understand it all and trying to be tax efficient to save the business as much money as I can in it's early stages. Please help me understand this clearly and advice the best course of action for the next 8 months pay.
Thanks, I really appreciate expert input!
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 185 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 126 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 88 1
- CT600 265 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 202 4
- signature required 905 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 174 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,341 22
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 456 13
- Community awards 2014 - first category 174 6
- Can you help me spot errors? 324 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 326 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 124 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 85 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 146 2
- Payment plans for clients 273 3
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 91 1
- Lease 145 4
- Free invoicing software 506 4
- Digita Hosted Software 397 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,306
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 546
- Credit where credit's due....... 336
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 229
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 187
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 179
- Director's business mileage 148
- Sole trader CPD 145