Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33
It's all a bit of a minefield for a non-accountant learning as they go - NIC payments, £2k NIC allowance, corp tax, income tax etc.
We recently got our first years books back from our accountants and she advised that paying £1k/mth wage to myself and business partner (as directors) was inefficient, I should pay £644. So I did some reading and found that in fact with NIC allowance and only two employees currently (both directors) it would be better to pay £833.33 or thereabouts.
The difficulty for me (doing payroll and understanding all this) is I've already paid the first 3 months wages of the year at £1k (I think we get about £916 of that, £40 ish NIC and the rest income tax) and now I'm not sure if I should make an adjustment for 1 month (lowering the wage) before going onto £833 so total annual salary is 10,000 or less (being aware of the £10/k personal allowance)?
Yesterday I paid £834.00 each, £20.52 each NIC (£813.48 cleared each) and no income tax using our PayRoo software. We're signed up for the £2k NIC employers allowance a while back, so I only ended up paying the HMRC £41.04 just for NIC for employee instead of something like £80 for us both NIC and another £60-80 for income tax (I forget how much). Quite a difference!
Next up, we want to employ next month, the salary would probably be ~£20k so I'm wondering how that will affect things, if at all (with regards to the NIC employers allowance)? I don't know how to do the sums but my gut tells me on my partner and my £10k each, another employee at £20k still probably wouldn't use up all the £2k allowance anyway? Especially as it'd only be 7 months of 2014/15 anyway, so even after employing it's probably best to stick to £834/month?
Note, I realise 12 x 834 is over 10k (just) but given I've already done 3 months @ £1k/mth, a few pounds here and there isn't a big deal. I'm not trying to be the perfect zero income tax payer, I'm trying to understand it all and trying to be tax efficient to save the business as much money as I can in it's early stages. Please help me understand this clearly and advice the best course of action for the next 8 months pay.
Thanks, I really appreciate expert input!
- Software recommendations? 287 4
- Goodie bag 134 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 198 5
- Husband Wife let property 140 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 444 8
- Career in Practice 131 2
- Relevant life plan 346 8
- Limited Company expenses 379 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 197 6
- Telemarketing 171 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 163 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 156 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 191 3
- how to value rental space 108 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 334 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 72 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 465 5
- Output tax for retailer 266 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 453 11
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,939 32
- Possible Partnership? 607
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 502
- New Fangled Penalties 412
- Clubs and Taxable Income 333
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 300
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 258
- Loans to other companies 245
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 217
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 216
- Outsource Data Entry 213