Directors' pay rose by 49% - what are your views on performance-related pay?
Research carried out by the Incomes Data Services (IDS) reveals that FTSE 100 directors have seen their total earnings increase by an average of 49% in the last financial year, and are now averaging £2,697,664 per annum.
IDS say that this increase was even higher than the 43% rise in total earnings for CEOs, which suggests that executive largesse is evenly spread across the board.
FTSE 100 directors also saw their average bonus payments increase by 23%, from £737,624 in 2010 to £906,044 in 2011.
Steve Tatton, editor of the IDS report, said: “The generous remuneration packages that FTSE 100 directors now receive indicates a marked improvement in boardroom fortunes.”
“But with closer scrutiny of boardroom pay expected in the future, remuneration committees will have to make sure that they are able to provide full and thorough justifications for the bonuses awarded.”
“This means that they will have to be much more transparent about how total benefits packages are structured and how performance is measured.”
Total earnings of FTSE 100 directors rose across the board, with the breakdown as follows:
- CEOs received an average increase of 43.5% (£3,855,172)
- Finance directors received an average increase of 34.1% (£2,001,515)
- All other directors received an average increase of 66.5% (£2,260,033)
What are your views on performance-related pay? What are the incentives that work?
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,081 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 120 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 597 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 113 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 113 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 165 1
- How to deal with prior year error 161 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 531 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,340 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,050 20
- Tax Calculations 657 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 409 4
- Exemption from CGT 239 2
- VAT Registration 249 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 467 14
- Autumn statement predictions 440 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 344 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 193 3
- Moneysoft error 436 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 649 26