Directors' pay rose by 49% - what are your views on performance-related pay?
Research carried out by the Incomes Data Services (IDS) reveals that FTSE 100 directors have seen their total earnings increase by an average of 49% in the last financial year, and are now averaging £2,697,664 per annum.
IDS say that this increase was even higher than the 43% rise in total earnings for CEOs, which suggests that executive largesse is evenly spread across the board.
FTSE 100 directors also saw their average bonus payments increase by 23%, from £737,624 in 2010 to £906,044 in 2011.
Steve Tatton, editor of the IDS report, said: “The generous remuneration packages that FTSE 100 directors now receive indicates a marked improvement in boardroom fortunes.”
“But with closer scrutiny of boardroom pay expected in the future, remuneration committees will have to make sure that they are able to provide full and thorough justifications for the bonuses awarded.”
“This means that they will have to be much more transparent about how total benefits packages are structured and how performance is measured.”
Total earnings of FTSE 100 directors rose across the board, with the breakdown as follows:
- CEOs received an average increase of 43.5% (£3,855,172)
- Finance directors received an average increase of 34.1% (£2,001,515)
- All other directors received an average increase of 66.5% (£2,260,033)
What are your views on performance-related pay? What are the incentives that work?
- Furnished Holiday Lets & VAT 31 1
- Do accountants work at home? 373 8
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 399 8
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 846 15
- I used to think HMRC contact lines couldnt get any worse................ 96 1
- Rogue Accountant 3,846 58
- Where has Portia gone? 5,964 120
- How to introduce funds in to a Limited by guarantee company 46 1
- ER Relief 93 2
- 'Workers' for AE purposes 99 1
- Payroll question 243 3
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 269 5
- Where did you buy your Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500? 95 3
- Can a trust benefit from PPR 710 6
- VAT Registration 214 1
- How do you do it 430 1
- Help 506 14
- Payments on account 337 6
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 796 21
- Do you need to account for a director loan separate from the current account 130 1