Disappearing tax return
We have received a late filing penalty notice for a client whose return we filed on 26 January (we have a receipt). I have checked the client record on the HMRC website and the return does not appear to be there.
On telephoning the agent hotline I was told that the return had recently been 'unlogged' by HMRC because another agent had in error filed a return using the same UTR number for a different taxpayer, thereby overwriting our client's return. The matter is now apparently with the Logging and Capturing Team to sort out and they are meant to be writing to us about it.
Surely it cannot be possible to overwrite a third party tax return simply by making a transposition error in a UTR number - there must be some sort of sanity check in the HMRC system, surely the return must at least contain UTR and NI numbers relating to the same person !!
I'm not at all sure that our software will allow us to re-file the return and am reluctant to do that anyway as that will now generate a notice for daily penalties on top of the £100.
Has anyone else had the same problem? and if so did HMRC actually manage to resolve it satisfactorily?
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 88 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 202 10
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 86 1
- Added years superannuation 71 2
- Giving a seminar 539 30
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 202 1
- JIEB Exams 137 1
- RTI 102 1
- Christmas party 115 1
- Am i Liable? 142 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 746 10
- Checking a contract 296 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 313 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 238 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 162 7
- VAT on garage rent 327 14
- Value-shifting 79 1
- Pattern for CTA 212 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 455 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 84 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,220
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 609
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 410
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 316
- Alphabet shares 192
- Agent fees to sell business 190
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 183
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 177
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 167
- Office recharges 150