DISPOSING OF SHARES
Family company with husband and wife holding 48% shareholding each. Turnover £1.6million, Balance Sheet £1.2 million of which 87% is held in cash.
They want the cash out of the company, possibly selling some or or of their shares, at lowest possible tax cost without necessarily loosing management control.
Company buy back of some of the shares would not attract ER relief and connected parties rules apply. Due to the cash held there is doubt over whether HMRC would challenge it being a trading company ?
They have two adult children, one of whom is employed in the business but is unable to run it herself. The other child's husband is employed in the business but likely to ruin it if left to his own devices.
We are currently looking at all and any options for the client to choose one. The husband and wife are in their 70's and not in great health. We would be tempted to leave things as they are and hopefully get IHT relief on business asset but they want cash out and the cash held could cloud the 'business asset'
- Are HMRC getting it right? 228 6
- Payroll Liabilities 75 2
- Is Hold over relief available? 170 5
- trading or dormant 221 5
- SAGE con 258 6
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 121 4
- Dazed & confused 282 4
- Goerge fixes PAs for long period 64 1
- Charity reserves 148 5
- Part-time work - advice please? 69 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,636 18
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 264 5
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 163 12
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 149 2
- Tax efficient holding company structure 304 1
- Property scam victim 130 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 142 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 81 1
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,694 68
- Loss on disposal and impairment 78 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,032
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 559
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 369
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 278
- Charge out rates in London? 216
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 215
- Personal consumption by landlord 185
- Interest on Loan to a Company 176
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 151
- Agent fees to sell business 147