Dividend Waiver & CSA
Company wishes to pay Dividend to 5 family members all equal shareholders.
Dividend will put 2 shareholders into higher rate taxes & remaining 3 will remain basic rate taxpayers.
The 2 shareholders who will go into higher rate taxes have discussed possibility of waiving right to Dividend to avoid higher rates. This however is open to challenge under settlement legislation as the shareholders are all connected & the non waiving shareholders will pay less tax on any dividend than the waiving shareholders.
A 3rd shareholder who will remain basic rate taxpayer irrespective of receipt of dividend has also put forward the notion that he does not want the dividend as this will,affect a CSA assessmsnt he has to pay for maintenance.
I am currently looking into CSA assessments but from what I can see to date any dividend income which he receives will be brought into his maintenance calculation as he & connected person have control over the payment of dividends.
Can anyone point me in direction of how CSA treat Dividend payments in assessments of maintenance payments?
Also waiving dividend to get round maintenance assessment is morally questionable however has anyone come accross use of a waiver in this circumstance.
- Corporation tax due date confusion 73 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,470 21
- Accountants' Error 742 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 164 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 160 3
- Scoot 197 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 163 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 217 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 667 11
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 117 1
- Regaining my qualification 228 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 245 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 263 2
- Auto enrolment 205 3
- Shareholder agreement 178 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 201 3
- Company Reorganisation 172 3
- Employee Loan 221 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 471 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 608 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,459
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 776
- Any views 706
- HMRC Employers Diary 527
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 262
- Advertising services? 262
- IRIS Open Books problem 253