Dividend Waiver & CSA
Company wishes to pay Dividend to 5 family members all equal shareholders.
Dividend will put 2 shareholders into higher rate taxes & remaining 3 will remain basic rate taxpayers.
The 2 shareholders who will go into higher rate taxes have discussed possibility of waiving right to Dividend to avoid higher rates. This however is open to challenge under settlement legislation as the shareholders are all connected & the non waiving shareholders will pay less tax on any dividend than the waiving shareholders.
A 3rd shareholder who will remain basic rate taxpayer irrespective of receipt of dividend has also put forward the notion that he does not want the dividend as this will,affect a CSA assessmsnt he has to pay for maintenance.
I am currently looking into CSA assessments but from what I can see to date any dividend income which he receives will be brought into his maintenance calculation as he & connected person have control over the payment of dividends.
Can anyone point me in direction of how CSA treat Dividend payments in assessments of maintenance payments?
Also waiving dividend to get round maintenance assessment is morally questionable however has anyone come accross use of a waiver in this circumstance.
- Self-assessment statistics 2,464 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 198 5
- Transmission of ISA 45 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 172 2
- Next Move 706 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 167 2
- Not renewing AAT 670 9
- CGT of shares gifted 380 6
- New dividend taxation 486 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,795 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 150 1
- Company car v company allowance 276 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 437 9
- Company formation and bank account 430 9
- Owning overseas property 338 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 290 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 271 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 710 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 722 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 273 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 666
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 397
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 395
- 2015 tax year end 394
- FCA regulated company in a small group 346
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 319
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 210
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204