Dividend Waiver & CSA
Company wishes to pay Dividend to 5 family members all equal shareholders.
Dividend will put 2 shareholders into higher rate taxes & remaining 3 will remain basic rate taxpayers.
The 2 shareholders who will go into higher rate taxes have discussed possibility of waiving right to Dividend to avoid higher rates. This however is open to challenge under settlement legislation as the shareholders are all connected & the non waiving shareholders will pay less tax on any dividend than the waiving shareholders.
A 3rd shareholder who will remain basic rate taxpayer irrespective of receipt of dividend has also put forward the notion that he does not want the dividend as this will,affect a CSA assessmsnt he has to pay for maintenance.
I am currently looking into CSA assessments but from what I can see to date any dividend income which he receives will be brought into his maintenance calculation as he & connected person have control over the payment of dividends.
Can anyone point me in direction of how CSA treat Dividend payments in assessments of maintenance payments?
Also waiving dividend to get round maintenance assessment is morally questionable however has anyone come accross use of a waiver in this circumstance.
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 62 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 56 1
- Overpayment relief claim 138 5
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 120 9
- Charity reserves 123 3
- Have i messed up? 626 10
- rates of pay query 192 2
- Year end 339 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 196 3
- Comments on this scenario 67 1
- Related Parties Note 409 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 82 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 118 4
- loss on carbon credits 100 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 565 9
- SAGE con 182 3
- Dazed & confused 175 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 231 2
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 230 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,536 63
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,004
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 543
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 212
- Charge out rates in London? 208
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 180
- Personal consumption by landlord 179
- Interest on Loan to a Company 172