Would like an opinion this - thought I knew the rules until recently!
Just took on a client from another accountant.
They have applied a dividend waiver as follows:
2 shareholders each have 1 share. Dividend Declared - £200k. Shareholder 1 receives his 50% share so £100k.
Shareholder 2 (and this is the bit that gets me) PARTIALLY waives his entitlement to the dividend, so only receives £50k.
It get worse.....He then GIFTS his other £50k to shareholder 1 and this is taxed on shareholder 1 as a dividend!
So to summarise, a dividend waiver goes in, shareholder 1 receives (and is taxed on) £150k and shareholder two receives (and is taxed on) £50k. All this from a 50:50 shareholding!
This seems like utter nonsense to me! To me a dividend is paid out to shareholders on the basis of their shareholding. If a dividend waiver is put in place, the shareholder waives his entitlement to that dividend and the reserves remain in the company. So thats the first fault - partial wavers, as far as i'm concerned, don't exist! Secondly, he can gift the dividend if he wants, but it is still taxable on the shareholder who is due to receive the dividend, not the beneficiary of the gift!
Can someone confirm i've not lost the plot or tell me i'm not up to speed with these things!
- Cloud accounting package 104 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 981 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 773 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 477 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 237 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 141 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 220 6
- Next Move 312 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 391 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 169 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 215 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 333 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 698 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 264 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 153 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,221 34
- Casual Driver 239 4
- Self Assessment Software 631 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 339 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,257 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 393
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 371
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 369
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 230
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217