Dividends over-paid...what to do?
I have completed a set of annual accounts for year ended Nov 2010 using the Sage data supplied to me by the company's previous accountant.
After calculating the corporation tax and putting this through the accounts, the total dividends paid in the year now result in a negative retained profit of around £150.
I know that dividends can only be paid out of retained profits, and have read various discussions on "illegal" dividends, but my query is, what to do about it?
The dividends have been paid, so do I need to reclassify anything to directors loans? Or do I just submit to Companies House / HMRC as is and wait for HMRC to contact the company and tell them whether they need to reclassify?
Thanks for any advice
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 548 11
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 183 5
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 267 6
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 151 2
- Capital Gain? 520 14
- Sell business after leaving country 156 2
- How much to charge? 282 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 194 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 647 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 249 2
- break even point 601 18
- Simple consolidation question 145 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 397 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,010 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 409 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 213 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 308 5
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 203 4
- IHT Query 265 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 449 2
- Possible Partnership? 470
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 445
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 432
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 237
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 232
- New Fangled Penalties 226
- Clubs and Taxable Income 223
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 219
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 197
- Loans to other companies 171