Dividends paid by overseas subsidary
I'm the accountant of a UK coy that provides technical training services. The coy also owns 40% of a coy registered in Dubai which provides training in the middle east. The other 60% is owned by a major training coy based in Jordan.The subsidiary recently won a contract which includes sending students to the UK for training. The subsidiary wanted to set up a coy in the UK to facilitate this. It is going to take up premises in the uk and will be more substantial than the existing UK coy itself. All working cap are to be provided by the 60% shareholder.
Say if newco in UK makes profits, it pays UK corp tax as normal and out of its retained profit pays dividends back to its parent in Dubai who in turn pays dividends to the existing UK coy (probably without withholding tax I think). Am I right in thinking there maybe a double tax here. Newco UK pays CT in UK. Newco pays div to Dubai who in turn pays div to the existing UK coy which will then have to pay tax on the dividend from Dubai?
If I'm correct in my thinking, does anyone has an idea on the best way to structure this inorder to avoid double taxation. The best way I thought was to set up newco with the same shareholding structure as the Dubai coy therefore divs from one UK coy to another is not taxed. Unfortunately this is not acceptable to the 60% shareholders as they wanted to build the Dubai coy into a substantial training coy.
Any help would be much appreciated..
- Xerocon 2016 1,092 28
- New Build 79 1
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 67 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,230 43
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 696 15
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 81 1
- USA Tax Query 250 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 400 5
- last minute request 588 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 301 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 331 7
- Personal Tax 567 11
- Disengagement Help! 1,701 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 967 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 371 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 618 18
- Corrupt Excel File 687 10
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 2,000 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 295 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 447 7