the division of property
I have a client who along with his wife owns jointly and equally a number of properties with another party that are mortgaged in 4 names and are let out . There is an acrimonious split going on .
HMRC a long time ago agreed that there is not a partnership in place and this is still the view as per PIM 1030 there is no other link between these parties . Their arrangement was a bit unusual in that one party found and puchased the properties the other arranged the funding and refinancing ,the person who found the property was obviously "on the ground ", the person doing the funding was 600 miles away and never saw the properties.
The properties were good ,the work done to them was good ,the renting occupancy and attention to tenants was good and all the funding was and continues to be good, the problem is they now have fallen out over relatively simple but numerous issues.
My client has agreed in a series of emails to the division of the properties, the properties were put into small groups and my client allowed, rashly , his former investment colleague to make the allocations over a period of a year ,upon reflection and viewing the properties (he is the funding person ) my client finds that "the fair division " of the properties is not so both in terms of value and the types of properties.
He wishes to renegotiate the division of properties ,the other party advises he is content with the division as is ....the question now is?
Is my client free to renegotiate the property division or is he bound by the email agreements?
He had pointed out throughout the divisions that all divisions were part of the overall division process which would involve the division of properties ,the division of bank overdrafts and the division of remaining cash..and subject to review but he has also agreed in emails that he agreed with the divisions as they were happening.
Thirty properties have without any acrimony been divided over the previous 2 years and the bank overdraft has been split recently with my client reluctantly agreeing to the division of a number of properties to save planning permissions running out for his former investment colleague .
The question is again how bound is my client by his email commitment ?. thank you
- Professional Clearance 260 8
- Capital reduction 182 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 272 19
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 72 3
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 287 1
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 137 4
- Introduction of Goodwill 509 13
- CIC accounts submission 158 4
- Zero Rated Catering delivery charges 117 5
- are receipts needed? 379 12
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 619 21
- New accountant 534 9
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 238 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,085 67
- Working out a daily rate 330 7
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 611 9
- Loss Relief 161 2
- Tax case reference request 250 3
- How to? 175 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 211 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,594
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 887
- International interest certificate 495
- NOVA 352
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 256
- Management expenses for investment company 244
- Bonus Bonds 243
- Help with tax codes on Sage 188
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 151
- Clogged Losses 149