the division of property
I have a client who along with his wife owns jointly and equally a number of properties with another party that are mortgaged in 4 names and are let out . There is an acrimonious split going on .
HMRC a long time ago agreed that there is not a partnership in place and this is still the view as per PIM 1030 there is no other link between these parties . Their arrangement was a bit unusual in that one party found and puchased the properties the other arranged the funding and refinancing ,the person who found the property was obviously "on the ground ", the person doing the funding was 600 miles away and never saw the properties.
The properties were good ,the work done to them was good ,the renting occupancy and attention to tenants was good and all the funding was and continues to be good, the problem is they now have fallen out over relatively simple but numerous issues.
My client has agreed in a series of emails to the division of the properties, the properties were put into small groups and my client allowed, rashly , his former investment colleague to make the allocations over a period of a year ,upon reflection and viewing the properties (he is the funding person ) my client finds that "the fair division " of the properties is not so both in terms of value and the types of properties.
He wishes to renegotiate the division of properties ,the other party advises he is content with the division as is ....the question now is?
Is my client free to renegotiate the property division or is he bound by the email agreements?
He had pointed out throughout the divisions that all divisions were part of the overall division process which would involve the division of properties ,the division of bank overdrafts and the division of remaining cash..and subject to review but he has also agreed in emails that he agreed with the divisions as they were happening.
Thirty properties have without any acrimony been divided over the previous 2 years and the bank overdraft has been split recently with my client reluctantly agreeing to the division of a number of properties to save planning permissions running out for his former investment colleague .
The question is again how bound is my client by his email commitment ?. thank you
- Anybody still doing returns? 694 30
- Clothing 502 13
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 89 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 152 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 54 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 340 16
- Designated sole Residence 127 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 709 15
- Anyone know what this is? 215 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 884 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 492 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 257 9
- no utr 276 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,113 49
- Director drawings 601 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 289 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 85 1
- Capital Loss 122 3
- LLP formed in 2013 96 1
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 190 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 950
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 671
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 621
- Latest phishing scam 597
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 434
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 323
- Scratch Head 260
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 253
- Sabbatical payments 213
- Negligible Value Claim 194