the division of property
I have a client who along with his wife owns jointly and equally a number of properties with another party that are mortgaged in 4 names and are let out . There is an acrimonious split going on .
HMRC a long time ago agreed that there is not a partnership in place and this is still the view as per PIM 1030 there is no other link between these parties . Their arrangement was a bit unusual in that one party found and puchased the properties the other arranged the funding and refinancing ,the person who found the property was obviously "on the ground ", the person doing the funding was 600 miles away and never saw the properties.
The properties were good ,the work done to them was good ,the renting occupancy and attention to tenants was good and all the funding was and continues to be good, the problem is they now have fallen out over relatively simple but numerous issues.
My client has agreed in a series of emails to the division of the properties, the properties were put into small groups and my client allowed, rashly , his former investment colleague to make the allocations over a period of a year ,upon reflection and viewing the properties (he is the funding person ) my client finds that "the fair division " of the properties is not so both in terms of value and the types of properties.
He wishes to renegotiate the division of properties ,the other party advises he is content with the division as is ....the question now is?
Is my client free to renegotiate the property division or is he bound by the email agreements?
He had pointed out throughout the divisions that all divisions were part of the overall division process which would involve the division of properties ,the division of bank overdrafts and the division of remaining cash..and subject to review but he has also agreed in emails that he agreed with the divisions as they were happening.
Thirty properties have without any acrimony been divided over the previous 2 years and the bank overdraft has been split recently with my client reluctantly agreeing to the division of a number of properties to save planning permissions running out for his former investment colleague .
The question is again how bound is my client by his email commitment ?. thank you
- Cloud accounting package 96 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 979 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 767 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 472 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 234 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 139 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 208 6
- Next Move 299 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 388 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 164 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 206 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 330 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 696 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 256 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 145 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,204 34
- Casual Driver 237 4
- Self Assessment Software 629 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 337 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,250 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 393
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 371
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 369
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 230
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217