the division of property
I have a client who along with his wife owns jointly and equally a number of properties with another party that are mortgaged in 4 names and are let out . There is an acrimonious split going on .
HMRC a long time ago agreed that there is not a partnership in place and this is still the view as per PIM 1030 there is no other link between these parties . Their arrangement was a bit unusual in that one party found and puchased the properties the other arranged the funding and refinancing ,the person who found the property was obviously "on the ground ", the person doing the funding was 600 miles away and never saw the properties.
The properties were good ,the work done to them was good ,the renting occupancy and attention to tenants was good and all the funding was and continues to be good, the problem is they now have fallen out over relatively simple but numerous issues.
My client has agreed in a series of emails to the division of the properties, the properties were put into small groups and my client allowed, rashly , his former investment colleague to make the allocations over a period of a year ,upon reflection and viewing the properties (he is the funding person ) my client finds that "the fair division " of the properties is not so both in terms of value and the types of properties.
He wishes to renegotiate the division of properties ,the other party advises he is content with the division as is ....the question now is?
Is my client free to renegotiate the property division or is he bound by the email agreements?
He had pointed out throughout the divisions that all divisions were part of the overall division process which would involve the division of properties ,the division of bank overdrafts and the division of remaining cash..and subject to review but he has also agreed in emails that he agreed with the divisions as they were happening.
Thirty properties have without any acrimony been divided over the previous 2 years and the bank overdraft has been split recently with my client reluctantly agreeing to the division of a number of properties to save planning permissions running out for his former investment colleague .
The question is again how bound is my client by his email commitment ?. thank you
- IT advisory questions? 253 7
- signature required 531 22
- Use of home query 59 1
- Pratice Management Software 154 2
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 225 6
- Error in audited accounts 61 1
- Vat registration exception 197 3
- CIS software 72 2
- Homing sandwiches 467 11
- CT600 122 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 180 7
- Settlement discount 142 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 516 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 184 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 172 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 133 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 216 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 136 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 190 2
- Related Party Transactions 129 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,245
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 816
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 522
- Digita Hosted Software 339
- Credit where credit's due....... 314
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 238
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 197
- TheTax Donut 180
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 162
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 162