the division of property
I have a client who along with his wife owns jointly and equally a number of properties with another party that are mortgaged in 4 names and are let out . There is an acrimonious split going on .
HMRC a long time ago agreed that there is not a partnership in place and this is still the view as per PIM 1030 there is no other link between these parties . Their arrangement was a bit unusual in that one party found and puchased the properties the other arranged the funding and refinancing ,the person who found the property was obviously "on the ground ", the person doing the funding was 600 miles away and never saw the properties.
The properties were good ,the work done to them was good ,the renting occupancy and attention to tenants was good and all the funding was and continues to be good, the problem is they now have fallen out over relatively simple but numerous issues.
My client has agreed in a series of emails to the division of the properties, the properties were put into small groups and my client allowed, rashly , his former investment colleague to make the allocations over a period of a year ,upon reflection and viewing the properties (he is the funding person ) my client finds that "the fair division " of the properties is not so both in terms of value and the types of properties.
He wishes to renegotiate the division of properties ,the other party advises he is content with the division as is ....the question now is?
Is my client free to renegotiate the property division or is he bound by the email agreements?
He had pointed out throughout the divisions that all divisions were part of the overall division process which would involve the division of properties ,the division of bank overdrafts and the division of remaining cash..and subject to review but he has also agreed in emails that he agreed with the divisions as they were happening.
Thirty properties have without any acrimony been divided over the previous 2 years and the bank overdraft has been split recently with my client reluctantly agreeing to the division of a number of properties to save planning permissions running out for his former investment colleague .
The question is again how bound is my client by his email commitment ?. thank you
- What do you all do in your spare time? 656 29
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 23 1
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 157 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 426 8
- VAT on employee loan 268 4
- Accountants website 338 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 52 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 96 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 344 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,400 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 213 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 160 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 207 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 193 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 713 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 147 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 83 2
- Purchased Goodwill 142 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 110 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 225 4
- New Fangled Penalties 1,079
- Moving away from CCH software 931
- QROP pension input amounts 425
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 341
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 267
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 237
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 211
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189