the division of property
I have a client who along with his wife owns jointly and equally a number of properties with another party that are mortgaged in 4 names and are let out . There is an acrimonious split going on .
HMRC a long time ago agreed that there is not a partnership in place and this is still the view as per PIM 1030 there is no other link between these parties . Their arrangement was a bit unusual in that one party found and puchased the properties the other arranged the funding and refinancing ,the person who found the property was obviously "on the ground ", the person doing the funding was 600 miles away and never saw the properties.
The properties were good ,the work done to them was good ,the renting occupancy and attention to tenants was good and all the funding was and continues to be good, the problem is they now have fallen out over relatively simple but numerous issues.
My client has agreed in a series of emails to the division of the properties, the properties were put into small groups and my client allowed, rashly , his former investment colleague to make the allocations over a period of a year ,upon reflection and viewing the properties (he is the funding person ) my client finds that "the fair division " of the properties is not so both in terms of value and the types of properties.
He wishes to renegotiate the division of properties ,the other party advises he is content with the division as is ....the question now is?
Is my client free to renegotiate the property division or is he bound by the email agreements?
He had pointed out throughout the divisions that all divisions were part of the overall division process which would involve the division of properties ,the division of bank overdrafts and the division of remaining cash..and subject to review but he has also agreed in emails that he agreed with the divisions as they were happening.
Thirty properties have without any acrimony been divided over the previous 2 years and the bank overdraft has been split recently with my client reluctantly agreeing to the division of a number of properties to save planning permissions running out for his former investment colleague .
The question is again how bound is my client by his email commitment ?. thank you
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 71 2
- Two trades one individual - Vat registration? 309 2
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 194 3
- looking for a practice consultant 166 2
- The stupidity continues 1,456 73
- Withdrawing company car 119 1
- AML report needed? 191 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 246 6
- RE assets introduced and rent 95 1
- transactions after account have been closed 321 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 90 1
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 396 9
- Marketing and email surprises 454 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 770 26
- What is IRIS World like? 421 10
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 334 5
- Mlom bollocks 279 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 126 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 160 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 599 11
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 449
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 448
- WIP Software 310
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 296
- No payroll scheme in place 244
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 242
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 218
- Is there anything wrong with this? 213
- Small Part Disposal of Property 203
- Uncommercial property business 191