the division of property
I have a client who along with his wife owns jointly and equally a number of properties with another party that are mortgaged in 4 names and are let out . There is an acrimonious split going on .
HMRC a long time ago agreed that there is not a partnership in place and this is still the view as per PIM 1030 there is no other link between these parties . Their arrangement was a bit unusual in that one party found and puchased the properties the other arranged the funding and refinancing ,the person who found the property was obviously "on the ground ", the person doing the funding was 600 miles away and never saw the properties.
The properties were good ,the work done to them was good ,the renting occupancy and attention to tenants was good and all the funding was and continues to be good, the problem is they now have fallen out over relatively simple but numerous issues.
My client has agreed in a series of emails to the division of the properties, the properties were put into small groups and my client allowed, rashly , his former investment colleague to make the allocations over a period of a year ,upon reflection and viewing the properties (he is the funding person ) my client finds that "the fair division " of the properties is not so both in terms of value and the types of properties.
He wishes to renegotiate the division of properties ,the other party advises he is content with the division as is ....the question now is?
Is my client free to renegotiate the property division or is he bound by the email agreements?
He had pointed out throughout the divisions that all divisions were part of the overall division process which would involve the division of properties ,the division of bank overdrafts and the division of remaining cash..and subject to review but he has also agreed in emails that he agreed with the divisions as they were happening.
Thirty properties have without any acrimony been divided over the previous 2 years and the bank overdraft has been split recently with my client reluctantly agreeing to the division of a number of properties to save planning permissions running out for his former investment colleague .
The question is again how bound is my client by his email commitment ?. thank you
- Client refusing to change basis period 162 6
- Companies House Authentication code 187 9
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,970 66
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 170 2
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 443 8
- VAT on converting Commercial property to residential 46 2
- Payroll Software Recommendations 300 10
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 339 15
- saturday staff 401 4
- Sports Club - Option to tax 32 1
- Highlighting a line on cell click 54 4
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,446 42
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 506 12
- Free accounts system for small business? 351 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 646 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 348 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 259 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 134 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 296 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 402 4
- Xtuple 585
- Qtac payroll for bureau 410
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 355
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 228
- Tax on damages received 208
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 169
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 165
- PTP Software 153
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141
- Software for Belgium Company 138