the division of property
I have a client who along with his wife owns jointly and equally a number of properties with another party that are mortgaged in 4 names and are let out . There is an acrimonious split going on .
HMRC a long time ago agreed that there is not a partnership in place and this is still the view as per PIM 1030 there is no other link between these parties . Their arrangement was a bit unusual in that one party found and puchased the properties the other arranged the funding and refinancing ,the person who found the property was obviously "on the ground ", the person doing the funding was 600 miles away and never saw the properties.
The properties were good ,the work done to them was good ,the renting occupancy and attention to tenants was good and all the funding was and continues to be good, the problem is they now have fallen out over relatively simple but numerous issues.
My client has agreed in a series of emails to the division of the properties, the properties were put into small groups and my client allowed, rashly , his former investment colleague to make the allocations over a period of a year ,upon reflection and viewing the properties (he is the funding person ) my client finds that "the fair division " of the properties is not so both in terms of value and the types of properties.
He wishes to renegotiate the division of properties ,the other party advises he is content with the division as is ....the question now is?
Is my client free to renegotiate the property division or is he bound by the email agreements?
He had pointed out throughout the divisions that all divisions were part of the overall division process which would involve the division of properties ,the division of bank overdrafts and the division of remaining cash..and subject to review but he has also agreed in emails that he agreed with the divisions as they were happening.
Thirty properties have without any acrimony been divided over the previous 2 years and the bank overdraft has been split recently with my client reluctantly agreeing to the division of a number of properties to save planning permissions running out for his former investment colleague .
The question is again how bound is my client by his email commitment ?. thank you
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 555 13
- Vat threshold issues 82 2
- Growing pains 351 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 230 14
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 56 1
- Consequential loss claim 106 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 186 5
- ATT Annual Return Problems 114 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 100 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 327 5
- private to company car? 179 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 947 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 577 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 140 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 222 1
- Partner with an IVA 164 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 588 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 415 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 307 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 231 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 456
- CTA study material 415
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 301
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 282
- Pre incorp expenses 272
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 242
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 232
- Slight twist on employment related securities 207
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 180
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 176