the division of property
I have a client who along with his wife owns jointly and equally a number of properties with another party that are mortgaged in 4 names and are let out . There is an acrimonious split going on .
HMRC a long time ago agreed that there is not a partnership in place and this is still the view as per PIM 1030 there is no other link between these parties . Their arrangement was a bit unusual in that one party found and puchased the properties the other arranged the funding and refinancing ,the person who found the property was obviously "on the ground ", the person doing the funding was 600 miles away and never saw the properties.
The properties were good ,the work done to them was good ,the renting occupancy and attention to tenants was good and all the funding was and continues to be good, the problem is they now have fallen out over relatively simple but numerous issues.
My client has agreed in a series of emails to the division of the properties, the properties were put into small groups and my client allowed, rashly , his former investment colleague to make the allocations over a period of a year ,upon reflection and viewing the properties (he is the funding person ) my client finds that "the fair division " of the properties is not so both in terms of value and the types of properties.
He wishes to renegotiate the division of properties ,the other party advises he is content with the division as is ....the question now is?
Is my client free to renegotiate the property division or is he bound by the email agreements?
He had pointed out throughout the divisions that all divisions were part of the overall division process which would involve the division of properties ,the division of bank overdrafts and the division of remaining cash..and subject to review but he has also agreed in emails that he agreed with the divisions as they were happening.
Thirty properties have without any acrimony been divided over the previous 2 years and the bank overdraft has been split recently with my client reluctantly agreeing to the division of a number of properties to save planning permissions running out for his former investment colleague .
The question is again how bound is my client by his email commitment ?. thank you
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 399 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 130 3
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 99 1
- Registered Office 151 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,485 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 314 5
- Partnership Registration 108 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 907 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 112 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 690 12
- Audit Required 1,187 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 310 9
- Residential Management Companies 93 2
- Value pricing 2,857 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 400 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 396 11
- Payroll software for Mac 123 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 124 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 218 5
- CIS and Close Company 209 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 947
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 661
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 401
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 333
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 263
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Paye procedures for CVA 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 200
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 194
- Pension Fixed Protection 189