Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- Starting up in practice - safety net 210 6
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 350 9
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 107 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 344 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 235 4
- Rental property company 114 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 328 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 264 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 387 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 165 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 204 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 151 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 507 5
- Director's tax return 402 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 189 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,142 34
- Flat rate vat 247 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 199 5
- Coming in from the cold 404 3
- Splitting the tax year 199 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 823
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 572
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 441
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 321
- Free Tax Legislation? 294
- Director Loan account operation 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 260
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 239
- Paye procedures for CVA 181