Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- 27,000 Really? 381 17
- West Bromich Albion 81 1
- accounting entries for over payments 47 2
- EYU adjustment to 13/14 PAYE 62 1
- This is getting boring 277 9
- Legal title not in the company name 490 18
- Child tax credits 288 5
- VAT on printing when being a third party 51 1
- NALS Accountants Report 227 3
- VAT - Recharge 178 6
- Employment Allowance 320 5
- Farm barn lettings 70 1
- CIC Company 586 10
- transitioning payroll 321 9
- dividend proposals 226 5
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 291 4
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,931 61
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,562 36
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 225 5
- Redundancy pay for directors? 568 14
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 629
- Cancelled 368
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 318
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 293
- Probiz 278
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 246
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 238
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 210
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 180