Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- Accountants' Error 723 15
- Corporation tax due date confusion 45 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 160 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 155 3
- Scoot 194 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 158 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 215 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 666 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,458 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 113 1
- Regaining my qualification 219 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 242 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 249 2
- Auto enrolment 199 3
- Shareholder agreement 175 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 199 3
- Company Reorganisation 168 3
- Employee Loan 215 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 470 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 602 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,456
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 774
- Any views 702
- HMRC Employers Diary 525
- International interest certificate 427
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 392
- Sale of business 357
- NOVA 261
- Advertising services? 259
- IRIS Open Books problem 252