Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- CT return error message 32 1
- Audit rules 223 6
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 258 7
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 236 1
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 251 1
- Sales Commission to Employees / External Companies 33 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 267 2
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 57 1
- How do you value an internet based business 828 11
- Capital repayments 56 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 109 1
- business entertaining deductibility 266 2
- Flat Rate VAT 168 1
- SA302 404 8
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 528 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 419 8
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 473 5
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 504 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 217 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,557 41
- Xtuple 528
- Qtac payroll for bureau 359
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 303
- Industrial & Provident Societies 296
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 225
- Domain name sale and limited company 186
- CIS schemes 184
- Investment 163
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 161
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 137