Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 130 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 335 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 216 3
- FreeAgent question 114 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 142 2
- CIS monthly returns 192 2
- Goodie bag 1,562 52
- Husband Wife let property 354 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 504 12
- Output tax for retailer 319 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 289 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 142 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 139 1
- CT600 Advice 147 1
- Fair Value Accounting 83 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 163 4
- can I approach clients ? 420 8
- Companies House Penalties 157 2
- Apostille documents 123 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 552 13
- Possible Partnership? 645
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 521
- New Fangled Penalties 450
- Fuming! 384
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 319
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 260
- Outsource Data Entry 244
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 238
- Moving away from CCH software 231
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 178