Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- Charge for tax returns 385 10
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,622 19
- Large director's pension contribution 478 5
- Company car and the new dividend tax rules 37 1
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 672 9
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 440 6
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 586 13
- Best Auto Enrollment Provider for clients DIY 104 3
- Support / ticketing software 166 8
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 415 8
- Transfering bank balnces between old and new co. 425 11
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 289 9
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 226 6
- interest in client bank account 169 3
- Childcare voucher scheme for a director earning the minimum amount 267 13
- Landlord expenses incurred looking for new properties 333 6
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 605 14
- Company Number 10000000 882 11
- Company car v company allowance 754 2
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 212 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 780
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 280
- DTA tie-breaker issue 273
- CGT for NOn UK residents 236
- Apprenticeship Levy 209
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 202
- Just checking re PSA 186
- Capital Gains personal representatives 186
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 181