Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- Two sole traders working at same shop 412 3
- Unhappy client over fees 1,486 36
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 1,072 13
- Profit split /Rent 132 3
- Is it possible and what should be done? 223 3
- Capital Gains Tax and Enhancement 105 2
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 233 3
- Accounting software for investment holding company 200 2
- Disposal of freehold from Ltd Co to another Ltd in a newly formed group 109 1
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 283 5
- Multi user accounting software 163 2
- S455 tax on existing loans on becoming a participator 135 1
- Does QuickBooks Online have aged debtors and creditors reports? 232 2
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 221 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 423 11
- do i need an online accounting software 566 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 139 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 702 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 263 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 1,045 16
- NHS finance professionals 795
- Foreign Pension Contribution 480
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 474
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 409
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 379
- IFA income recognition & reporting 282
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 270
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 258
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 224
- FRM claim for travel to training course 224