Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- Basic PAYE Tools update .... lost all my previous FPSs 91 3
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 484 9
- Bartercard 215 2
- One off meeting new client 255 4
- first year company tax return for a limited company 483 25
- Is this a scam? 104 3
- Deaf clients 129 3
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 842 14
- Furniture Rental Business 197 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 76 3
- C79 Discrepancy 197 1
- illegal dividends 212 2
- Work experience - pay 247 2
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 166 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 1,797 18
- Goodwill 157 5
- Dividend received from voluntary arrangement 152 1
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 127 2
- SAGE V12 143 3
- Consolidation and Comparatives 69 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 611
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 510
- Sorry ignore me 415
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 372
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 287
- Cancelled 270
- Cancelled 230
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 170
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 161
- Probiz 150