Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- micro entity balance sheet query 25 1
- Stock of photos to capatilise 164 6
- Inheritance Tax - Gifts UK 133 1
- Rogue Accountant 3,300 51
- VAT on a private sale? 109 5
- RTI Payroll ID 487 17
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 210 3
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 314 18
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,212 24
- Where has Portia gone? 3,129 87
- Payroll software 159 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 57 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 592 19
- Practice management software 1,056 19
- Trade Association Dinner 141 1
- RTI - duplicate employee record 592 1
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 163 4
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 183 2
- Depreciation of Revalued Building 60 1
- Spousal transfer and PPR 756 32
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 808
- Pensions Regulator 459
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 419
- Sanzar 323
- How do you do it 313
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 278
- new investor structure 187
- Fit for purpose 178
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 178