Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 234 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 926 15
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 72 1
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 223 6
- Best time software for small practice? 159 1
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 439 17
- Vat threshold issues 429 10
- Sale of an investment between group companies 154 7
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,094 41
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 442 9
- Gift to employee 284 5
- Residents Association Corp Tax 291 12
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 373 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,030 21
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,967 27
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 312 1
- Unquoted company valuation multiples 111 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 278 6
- private to company car? 318 6
- Question re Career choice... 1,517 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 465
- CTA study material 447
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 319
- Pre incorp expenses 298
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 255
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 245
- Slight twist on employment related securities 222
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 210
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 198
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 141