Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- Coding Notice 59 1
- Free invoicing software 80 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 291 17
- New business - journal entries 203 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 534 15
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 239 7
- Why should I retain membership? 2,545 43
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 152 2
- Capitalised professional fees - with no corresponding asset 399 4
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 658 17
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 331 4
- Trade name 73 1
- Resident Landlord Expenses 181 6
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 114 3
- Employee shareholder contracts 104 1
- Lettings expenses 111 2
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 359 12
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 339 11
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 306 9
- PAYE 463 12
- Auto enrolment excuses 737
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 700
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 376
- Social investment tax relief 195
- Digita Hosted Software 188
- Call Centre Data Costs 186
- option to tax 168
- VAT on deposits 162
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 150
- Travel costs and contractors 138