Do you know about tax in the Entertainment business
I have a new client who is a sole trader and trades as a composer of musical score.
Business is good and he turns over around £200k making £130k in profit and paying substantial tax through self assessment.
A substantial part of his income is in the form of royalties paid every year and he is also credited with the copyrights of the work
We want to incorporate him to give him a better tax position but we want to understand the implications of this action.
Specifically whether or not the rights to the royalties and payments due to the copyright holder can be assigned to a limited company and if so whether a transfer of these rights could be considered a transfer of a business asset and attract relief under TCGA 1992 S165 transfer of business assets to avoid any capital gain.
Anyone with experience or anyone who may know an specialist in Entertainment Law please get in touch.
Any comments also welcome?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 639 5
- See you all on the other side 690 6
- 12Pay 457 2
- dividends 604 2
- R&D 316 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,181 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 438 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 405 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 372 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 545 5
- Seeking a tax case 641 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 505 4
- Companies house strike off 546 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 426 2
- Moving to the cloud 743 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 216 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 903 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 208 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,090 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 500 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 562
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 327
- USA help 317
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 297
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 293
- Marginal rates of tax 290
- Class 2 NI 274