My client runs a small limited company based in offices with a couple of employees. They do have one client in Europe that I am aware of. However, when going through the Subsistence nominal account for their latest accounts there are a large number of cash withdrawals and payments for petrol and meals made overseas. I happen to know that the director of the company has family in Africa and quite often will go out their for months at a time.
On raising the matter to him and tentatively suggesting that many of these withdrawals from the business account should be posted to the directors loan account rather than an expense account my client insisted that these were bona fide business travel expenses. I had also asked that receipts and invoices for these expenses were provided for me to review if he felt these were valid business travel expenses. Unfortunately, as my client informs me, his car was broken into and his laptop along with all of the relevant paperwork was taken by the thief.
Any suggestions for the best course of action here? I would estimate that the expenses are in the region of £2-3000 for the year.
Many Thanks in advance for your advice.
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 107 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 459 5
- flat rate scheme 124 3
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 161 2
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 69 1
- VAT refund 309 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,279 37
- Turnover on a tax return 542 12
- incorrect old p60 562 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 111 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 181 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 148 1
- Special dividends & CGT 202 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 185 1
- Networking 358 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 276 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 304 4
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 334 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 292 2
- IT Contractor 284 1