Does anyone have any knowledge of typical P/E ratios currently being used in business earnings valuations? I know that business valuation is not a precise science(!), but I am trying to get an idea of the sort of earnings multipliers being used in disposal negotiations in the current market.
The particular business I am interested in, is privately owned, based in the North of England and operates in the construction industry. The shareholding in question is a minority holding, so it would also be very helpful if anyone has experience of typical P/E ratio discounts which might be applied for a minority shareholding.
I have commissioned and received a valuation of the shareholding, which has used one P/E ratio. However that P/E ratio differs wildly from the ratio being quoted by the 3rd party.
To reiterate, I know there is no right and wrong answer to this question, and any deal will only be done if the potential buyer and seller can agree a price for the shares. Nonetheless it would be very helpful to get some view on typical P/E ratios which might be applicable in the current market.
Many thanks in anticipation.
- Capital introduction 187 6
- CIS Deductions 299 9
- Inheritance Tax Advice 202 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 140 8
- Final accounts - procedure 68 1
- Accountex flash mob 251 7
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,117 28
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 230 3
- Property sale split between years 245 9
- Spousal transfer and PPR 351 10
- Group structure - transfer of shares 65 2
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 166 3
- Cycle to work 115 1
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 755 17
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 148 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,273 36
- Direct payment schene 118 4
- Employment Allowance 101 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 238 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,153 37
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 642
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- RTI - duplicate employee record 330
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 325
- Using the correct forms 300
- SA penalty proposals 298
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 282
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 194