Does anyone have any knowledge of typical P/E ratios currently being used in business earnings valuations? I know that business valuation is not a precise science(!), but I am trying to get an idea of the sort of earnings multipliers being used in disposal negotiations in the current market.
The particular business I am interested in, is privately owned, based in the North of England and operates in the construction industry. The shareholding in question is a minority holding, so it would also be very helpful if anyone has experience of typical P/E ratio discounts which might be applied for a minority shareholding.
I have commissioned and received a valuation of the shareholding, which has used one P/E ratio. However that P/E ratio differs wildly from the ratio being quoted by the 3rd party.
To reiterate, I know there is no right and wrong answer to this question, and any deal will only be done if the potential buyer and seller can agree a price for the shares. Nonetheless it would be very helpful to get some view on typical P/E ratios which might be applicable in the current market.
Many thanks in anticipation.
- Interprise software 71 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 498 19
- Charity accounting 258 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 80 1
- sage 103 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 151 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,049 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 202 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 123 1
- FBI2 199 3
- Double entry 167 4
- Companies House 141 3
- Small house in garden 146 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 141 2
- Clients 920 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 288 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 147 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 276 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 310 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 130 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 537
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 468
- EPS and CIS deductions 327
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 310
- Construction CIS LLP Company 300
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 295
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 263
- Overdrawn director account 217
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 204
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 199