Does anyone have any knowledge of typical P/E ratios currently being used in business earnings valuations? I know that business valuation is not a precise science(!), but I am trying to get an idea of the sort of earnings multipliers being used in disposal negotiations in the current market.
The particular business I am interested in, is privately owned, based in the North of England and operates in the construction industry. The shareholding in question is a minority holding, so it would also be very helpful if anyone has experience of typical P/E ratio discounts which might be applied for a minority shareholding.
I have commissioned and received a valuation of the shareholding, which has used one P/E ratio. However that P/E ratio differs wildly from the ratio being quoted by the 3rd party.
To reiterate, I know there is no right and wrong answer to this question, and any deal will only be done if the potential buyer and seller can agree a price for the shares. Nonetheless it would be very helpful to get some view on typical P/E ratios which might be applicable in the current market.
Many thanks in anticipation.
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,185 17
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 267 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 392 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 165 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,117 13
- Really?! 825 10
- CIS 221 5
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,375 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 650 15
- VAT 701/49 query 227 2
- backpack 312 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 175 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 259 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 350 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 199 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 177 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 197 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 144 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 257 6
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 468 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 706
- 2015 tax year end 440
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 416
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 359
- Costly Accounting Software contract 314
- Directors' advances and credits 255
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 255
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 222
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 203