Does anyone have any knowledge of typical P/E ratios currently being used in business earnings valuations? I know that business valuation is not a precise science(!), but I am trying to get an idea of the sort of earnings multipliers being used in disposal negotiations in the current market.
The particular business I am interested in, is privately owned, based in the North of England and operates in the construction industry. The shareholding in question is a minority holding, so it would also be very helpful if anyone has experience of typical P/E ratio discounts which might be applied for a minority shareholding.
I have commissioned and received a valuation of the shareholding, which has used one P/E ratio. However that P/E ratio differs wildly from the ratio being quoted by the 3rd party.
To reiterate, I know there is no right and wrong answer to this question, and any deal will only be done if the potential buyer and seller can agree a price for the shares. Nonetheless it would be very helpful to get some view on typical P/E ratios which might be applicable in the current market.
Many thanks in anticipation.
- directors control and tax problems 68 3
- Bulk Invoicing 154 6
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 167 5
- What would you do in this situation? 490 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 126 3
- Help Required 280 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 223 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 394 14
- What's in a name ? 236 4
- ATED Penalties 260 1
- late second payment on account 153 2
- US royalties 80 2
- Project being run jointly 125 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 177 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 178 3
- Sole trader mix up 292 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 735 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 893 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 210 4
- Filing company accounts 136 1
- CTA study material 697
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 423
- Employment related securities question 265
- AIM Stocks and IHT 244
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 198
- Trust for Employee 184
- Expat pension contributions? 181
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 159
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 152
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 118