Does anyone have any knowledge of typical P/E ratios currently being used in business earnings valuations? I know that business valuation is not a precise science(!), but I am trying to get an idea of the sort of earnings multipliers being used in disposal negotiations in the current market.
The particular business I am interested in, is privately owned, based in the North of England and operates in the construction industry. The shareholding in question is a minority holding, so it would also be very helpful if anyone has experience of typical P/E ratio discounts which might be applied for a minority shareholding.
I have commissioned and received a valuation of the shareholding, which has used one P/E ratio. However that P/E ratio differs wildly from the ratio being quoted by the 3rd party.
To reiterate, I know there is no right and wrong answer to this question, and any deal will only be done if the potential buyer and seller can agree a price for the shares. Nonetheless it would be very helpful to get some view on typical P/E ratios which might be applicable in the current market.
Many thanks in anticipation.
- Pre- trading Expenses 65 1
- IRIS Practice Management 122 1
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 224 7
- Was I rude 763 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 173 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 161 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 295 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 233 1
- Top slicing relief question 228 2
- Valuation of PET on death 106 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 262 6
- Share swap 289 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 86 1
- Online filing 152 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 328 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,707 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 104 2
- Converting a barn for business use 96 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 238 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 125 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,477
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 810
- Any views 728
- International interest certificate 445
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 418
- Sale of business 388
- NOVA 282
- IRIS Open Books problem 280
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 196
- Expenses claim for non employee 187