EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 1,298 16
- CGT on compulsory purchase cpmpensation re lease 40 1
- Just for fun. 511 21
- VAT - TOGC 75 2
- Independent Review of a Company Limited by Guarantee 79 2
- Edible spam? 351 12
- Capitalisation of loan 81 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 275 2
- Are solicitors worth the money? 1,056 12
- Intercompany loans 210 5
- New Website Look 310 9
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 154 6
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,405 16
- Xero - Should I partner with them 127 1
- Overlap relief 534 14
- Suspicious debt recovery offer? 301 2
- Reduced payments on account 127 2
- Payment on account and EIS relief 77 1
- Amending a CT return 100 2
- Directors Share Purchase 288 12
- Theatre Tax Relief 458
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 357
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 352
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 327
- Perkbox 294
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 270
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 252
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 250
- Document Management Systems 225
- WIP Software 215