EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 914 28
- You know its over 281 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 473 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 197 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 144 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 136 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 193 3
- Cocaine anyone? 481 8
- Late Registration for VAT 474 13
- EIS/SEIS 132 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 263 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 406 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 407 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 694 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 544 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 573 4
- Personal pension 395 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 219 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,208 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 155 3
- Hive up 487
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 451
- corporate hierarchy 431
- Advice - 269
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 221
- WWOOFers 215
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 204
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 192
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 171