EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Self Assessment penalties again 235 3
- are we that stupid 749 17
- Flat Management Company 159 1
- Share structure questions - close company 123 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 142 4
- Income prior to company formation 318 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 708 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 267 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 104 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 491 5
- Practice software 1,398 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 353 1
- Company leaving VAT group 159 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 602 18
- Staff training 1,541 13
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 276 3
- Goodwill on incorporation 249 2
- Company Strike off 294 10
- Is there a UK CGT base cost on the sale of these shares? 180 1
- Company Limited by Guarantee 269 4
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 327
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 286
- French ConnectionUK 264
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 242
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 215
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 213
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 150
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 146
- Indian Provident Fund 145
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 140