EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- What does the "K" signify 44 2
- Amend tax return? 97 2
- Self Assessment and P11D 187 5
- Adding shop sales to sage 36 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 266 9
- self assessment repayment requesto 544 11
- Capital Gains Relief 189 7
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 118 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 996 42
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 677 26
- Tax on devidend in my company who is employee in other company 110 3
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 216 4
- HMRC SA302s 55 1
- Investment from Friend 208 10
- Receipt bank 362 8
- Trading lossess & non trading co & investment income 71 1
- Do we have to register for VAT? 503 10
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 354 4
- Company dividends 555 15
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,215 15
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 882
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 585
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 546
- Latest phishing scam 481
- Entrepreneurs' relief 429
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 353
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 327
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 251
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 251
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 175