EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Was I rude 721 19
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 121 2
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 151 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 138 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 279 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 199 1
- Top slicing relief question 221 2
- Valuation of PET on death 92 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 236 6
- Share swap 285 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 79 1
- Online filing 140 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 324 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,681 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 100 2
- Converting a barn for business use 86 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 231 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 112 2
- Joint rental income 121 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 333 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,474
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 807
- Any views 726
- International interest certificate 444
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 416
- Sale of business 386
- IRIS Open Books problem 279
- NOVA 279
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 195
- Expenses claim for non employee 184