EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 512 5
- See you all on the other side 645 6
- 12Pay 367 2
- dividends 498 2
- R&D 279 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,136 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 420 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 359 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 328 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 516 5
- Seeking a tax case 592 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 455 4
- Companies house strike off 448 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 368 2
- Moving to the cloud 713 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 205 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 864 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 193 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,072 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 464 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 544
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 411
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 361
- IRIS and FRS 102 343
- Capitalising Finance Lease 309
- USA help 306
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 281
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 277
- Capital gains on rental property 253
- Sage Coretime 228