EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 986 27
- EIS Relief 139 1
- Splitting rental income on jointly owned property 148 1
- Gift or Capital Gain? 157 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 551 15
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 70 1
- S455 420 19
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 739 28
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 61 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 179 6
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 400 8
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 234 3
- Is this a scam? 1,396 25
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 221 5
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 149 4
- Wednesday rant 324 1
- RTI - new employee 73 1
- Profit split on buy-to let 313 5
- Overseas Sales 534 1
- Fax to email providers 394 14
- Benchmarking 462
- Possible Partnership? 408
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 397
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 378
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 318
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 189
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 172
- Income tax on foreign dividends 166
- Agent Registration - How Long? 164
- Clubs and Taxable Income 163