EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 977 29
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 53 1
- Project being run jointly 186 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 297 4
- Companies House 585 9
- Dress code 356 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 118 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 317 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 721 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,424 25
- What would you do in this situation? 601 13
- Help Required 384 10
- directors control and tax problems 247 5
- Fastest Software 796 13
- What's in a name ? 357 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 277 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 460 15
- Bulk Invoicing 186 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 170 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 255 2
- CTA study material 712
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 434
- Employment related securities question 273
- AIM Stocks and IHT 251
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 207
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 201
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 200
- Expat pension contributions? 194
- Trust for Employee 192
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 164