EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Company formation and bank account 207 7
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 632 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,521 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 489 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 387 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 178 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 390 8
- OneNote is fantastic 470 11
- VAT Direct Debit 353 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 435 8
- Self Assessment Software 681 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 434 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,349 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 245 11
- Owning overseas property 234 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 344 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 281 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 689 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,148 21
- PPR on a development? 240 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 651
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 400
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 400
- Property letting & CAs 387
- 2015 tax year end 382
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 381
- FCA regulated company in a small group 339
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 264
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 236
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 230