EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- PCTR for Audit Qualification 79 1
- Building premises bought on 99 year lease 66 1
- Client refusing to change basis period 167 6
- Companies House Authentication code 191 9
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,973 66
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 172 2
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 445 8
- VAT on converting Commercial property to residential 50 2
- Payroll Software Recommendations 301 10
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 342 15
- saturday staff 402 4
- Sports Club - Option to tax 42 1
- Highlighting a line on cell click 57 4
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,446 42
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 510 12
- Free accounts system for small business? 353 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 646 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 349 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 259 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 136 4
- Xtuple 585
- Qtac payroll for bureau 410
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 355
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 228
- Tax on damages received 208
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 170
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 165
- PTP Software 153
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141
- Software for Belgium Company 139