EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Dependant Relative 215 3
- Providing registered office address to clients 200 5
- What would you do in this situation? 302 8
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 183 5
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,497 49
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 418 14
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,714 76
- Foster Care 111 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 791 33
- TOMS - Travel Agents 45 1
- Insurance Claim & VAT 85 1
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 275 5
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 138 2
- HMRC Money Laundering Visit 581 3
- Dividend Payments 505 12
- Employed clients and expenses 895 18
- More HMRC on gov.uk 676 12
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 208 4
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 456 8
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 494 12
- Bonus Bonds 397
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 391
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 304
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 265
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 200
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 197
- Company Car Lease 172
- Finance Lease 162
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 136