EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 230 6
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,542 42
- CIC Company 378 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,647 57
- Is this a scam? 753 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 113 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 324 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 232 5
- New company - form a group? 154 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 172 4
- PITA client 206 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 362 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,311 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 739 15
- Dividend dates 487 8
- R&D tax credit claim 211 5
- CIS Deductions 271 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 113 1
- is this fraud? 786 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 495 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 345
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 331
- Cancelled 282
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 254
- Probiz 241
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 185
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 176
- Car leasing scheme 175
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 153