EBT / Stamp Duty schemes 'too good to be true'
A friend of mine bought into an EBT scheme a couple of years ago.
The way they sold it to him was that it was insured by a certain well known insurer and if he ever had to pay any tax then this would be covered by the scheme insurance (seems too good to be true!)
Within a couple of days of the EBT legislation being announced, he received communications from the promoter confirming that the new rules would not apply to this scheme (it seemed almost too soon after the introduction of new rules for any in depth research to be done by them). My friend is still comfortable using it, given the apparent insurance already mentioned.
I am quite concerned that he is not quite seeing the whole picture on this, and possibly being taken for a ride.
The reason this has come to mind now is that I have also seen 'insured' stamp duty avoidance schemes (based on subsale relief) that are saying that the budget this week hasn't changed anything!
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
- Pension contributions limits 208 10
- Flat rate vat error 110 3
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 193 5
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,744 36
- Tax residence 114 3
- VAT on nightclub vouchers 76 4
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 282 7
- Which software for practice books? 396 17
- Seed EIS company 67 2
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 141 7
- EC TAX 49 1
- Write off of former director's loan 308 7
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 85 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 97 1
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 539 10
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 268 6
- Pension contributions > £50k BRB effect 93 2
- VAT enquiry 165 2
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 502 15
- Inheritance tax 286 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 662
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 488
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 454
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 279
- How to format a stock book 239
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 199
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 194
- Tax efficient holding company structure 183
- Investment property company accounts template 173
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 166