So employees will be able to enter into an agreement with their (corporate) employers to give up certain employment rights in exchange for a free issue of shares with a market value of £2,000 (see S.27 growth and Infrastructure Bill).
So how do they get valued? What happens if some smart arse later established that the value was incorrect and they were only worth £1,999? Agreement nul and void? Employee gets their rights back?
What about the tax consequences?
The employee is receiving money's worth taxable under S.62 and there's no exemption, but presumably the company gets a CT deduction.
Assuming the shares are an RCA, am I right in thinking that there's no PAYE or NI and it's just reported on from 42 and the employee's own Tax Return.
What happens if HMRC then dispute the valuation?
Is it possible to agree valuations with HMRC up front?
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,331 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 278 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 860 18
- NALS Accountants Report 109 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,475 35
- Legal title not in the company name 279 10
- Dividend dates 567 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 133 3
- Sole properietor 183 4
- transitioning payroll 245 8
- dividend proposals 118 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 240 2
- Deduction from Salary 303 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 204 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,733 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 94 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 437 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 160 2
- 12 Pay Problems 257 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 90 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 312
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 274
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 232
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 231
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 203
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176