Employee Tax Relief for living accommodation and incidental costs
A client has taken a job in London. The job is at a single permanent workplace. He lives with his wife and family near Chester, so daily commuting is simply not feasible for him. He has rented a property in London and wants to know if:
1. The rentals can be claimed as an employment expense.
2. Tube travel to work from rented property can be claimed as an employment expense.
3. Train travel from Chester to rented property and back once a week can be claimed.
4. Subsistence meals can be claimed.
Can't find much guidance on HMRC site on this. Initially said to client 1. Maybe, 2. No, 3. No, 4. Maybe.
Can anyone help with a definitive answer?
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 74 1
- LLP - Member leaving 172 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 713 21
- Year end 209 3
- tax credits 178 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 988 16
- Foreign income for self employed 154 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 277 9
- what time is it ? 153 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 284 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,091 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 232 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 588 21
- How would you account for warranty? 170 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 407 22
- Sweet Tooth 212 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 189 2
- trading or dormant 131 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 148 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 579 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 888
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 520
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 313
- Tax efficient holding company structure 249
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 244
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 220
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 172