Employment confusion and suspicion
We have a new client for a 'simple' tax return.
This client had employment until end Feb 2011. Unfortunately, his employer sacked him but has not provided a P45, or any payslips. He was employed by the same company for over 12 months, and net pay went direct to his bank.
The only proof of employment that I have are his bank statements showing the monthly pay received, his previous years P60, and the letter of dismissal from the MD of the company which says he is not entitled to pay in lieu of notice, but is entitled to unused entitlement to holiday pay, and this will be calculated, and forwarded with his P45, which never arrived!.
Now the mystery ... the company 'employing' him only registered with Companies House in November 2011. There is a company with a similar name (and the same MD!!!!) which is in liquidation, due to a winding up order which commenced in 2008. The last accounts filed were for 2005!!!!
I contacted HMRC to get PAYE details and there is no employment recorded at HMRC for tax year 2010/11.
So what next? I have his total net pay (taken from bank statements) and the PAYE reference taken from the previous years P60. I can enter estimated employment income/tax, and provide plenty of info in the white space, and attach a scanned copy of the letter of dismissal, but what warnings should I give my client? Is it possible that HMRC will pursue him for any tax that hasn't been paid over, or will they pursue one, or both, of the 'employers'?
We do need to complete this return as he has 1 months self employment income, and two small pensions in addition to the employment income.
- tax credits 161 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 967 16
- Foreign income for self employed 144 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 685 20
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 264 9
- LLP - Member leaving 155 6
- what time is it ? 104 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 265 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,064 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 230 4
- Year end 173 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 580 21
- How would you account for warranty? 163 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 405 22
- Sweet Tooth 197 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 182 2
- trading or dormant 122 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 133 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 573 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 277 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 881
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 519
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 313
- Tax efficient holding company structure 247
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 243
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 220
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 168