I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 419 5
- See you all on the other side 598 6
- 12Pay 315 2
- dividends 417 2
- R&D 237 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,108 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 394 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 300 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 265 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 487 5
- Seeking a tax case 539 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 396 4
- Companies house strike off 379 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 295 2
- Moving to the cloud 689 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 192 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 835 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 184 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,055 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 438 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 538
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 409
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 359
- IRIS and FRS 102 341
- Capitalising Finance Lease 304
- USA help 303
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 275
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 263
- Capital gains on rental property 246
- Sage Coretime 226