I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 275 15
- Value pricing 557 19
- Fee's for P11D's 250 4
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 373 1
- Childcare Vouchers 158 3
- Quarterly PAYE 157 6
- Audit Report Query 174 5
- Coming in from the cold 182 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 67 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,286 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 62 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 125 3
- Issuing an invoice as an individual (non UK resident) 65 1
- Thats Better 259 6
- reporting salary? 132 2
- apprentices 87 1
- Sage Payroll 253 10
- VAT 145 2
- Belated VAT Exception Application 223 7
- Enforcing A CCJ 255 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 763
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 519
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 389
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 213
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 212
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 195
- Director Loan account operation 194
- vat return 163
- Paye procedures for CVA 150