I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Writing Website Content 536 20
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 39 3
- AIA 312 5
- Seeking advice: Charging VAT on commission on my commission! 263 8
- CT600 X ERROR in relation to Tangible Assets 174 9
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 145 3
- Charity Account-independent examiner 83 1
- Capital Goods Scheme 203 7
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 309 7
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 2,695 14
- The Pensions Regulator 345 9
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 102 1
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,572 14
- Badges of trade 288 5
- Rollover Relief - Commercial to Residential 199 6
- Intercompany - Sage 50 Accounts 55 1
- HMRC Post 920 12
- Form 17 Download 292 2
- Schedule A losses 426 12
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,975 26
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 443
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 413
- Electric Car 351
- S222 Charge 277
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 258
- IP trans to holding company 217
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 215
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 193
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 184
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 160