I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- VAT on motor expenses 873 31
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 143 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 172 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 146 4
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 261 10
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 729 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 379 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 190 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 314 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 95 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 382 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 86 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 315 15
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 391 9
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 125 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 91 1
- VAT Registration 453 19
- Tax Credit Overpayment 271 9
- Property Expenses - Allowable 144 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 125 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,538
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 845
- International interest certificate 464
- NOVA 323
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 221
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 214
- Bonus Bonds 203
- Management expenses for investment company 199
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 190
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 177