I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,241 45
- practice planning 157 3
- Accounts Software 713 19
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 241 9
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 499 14
- Dividend Vouchers 377 5
- Gift to employee 414 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 163 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 153 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,121 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 188 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 160 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,666 10
- Which address 1,080 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 615 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,527 17
- R&D tax claim 265 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 555 9
- Tax Allowance on University Course 212 1
- Transfer of a business 137 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 489
- CTA study material 467
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 339
- Pre incorp expenses 324
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 275
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 265
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 214
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 169
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 141
- Employment related securities question 129