I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Do we have to register for VAT? 473 10
- Receipt bank 334 7
- Investment from Friend 164 9
- Self Assessment and P11D 121 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 338 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 625 23
- Company dividends 544 15
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 165 5
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 65 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 903 38
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,155 15
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 150 2
- TRONC scheme 103 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 705 13
- Capital Gains Relief 154 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,607 29
- Identity check problem 1,267 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 204 3
- Business Set up cost 111 1
- Aged Debtor 90 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 876
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 575
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 541
- Latest phishing scam 474
- Entrepreneurs' relief 423
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 345
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 320
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 244
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 241
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 166