I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Any Scottish members out there? 4,479 143
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 59 2
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 39 2
- Standard 'email' template system 370 7
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 143 1
- I had a baby! Small practice recruitment - where would you look? 575 7
- Travel expenses 440 16
- Reclaim vat on invoice 175 3
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,117 29
- Shadow director or alternative? 267 3
- Computerised Accountancy Software 282 1
- FRS VAT bad debt relief? 496 13
- Bankruptcy 432 10
- P11d Van - no private use 442 12
- Expanding To UK From USA 152 2
- How do I account for trees?! 295 1
- Foreign Dividends - tax repayment claim 504 17
- German VAT charged by US Supplier 243 5
- Abbreviated Accounts 354 4
- Accountancy fee tax return 587 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 991
- Employment related securities question 504
- Looking for a qualified accountant 330
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 309
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 277
- National Insurance 214
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 205
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 195
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 191
- Payments on account coded out?? 152