I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 174 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 236 4
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 346 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 300 9
- Merging my businesses 94 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,526 61
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 95 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,674 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 511 16
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 133 4
- VAT on commercial property 118 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,006 49
- deceased creditor 177 5
- Corporate member of LLP 272 1
- Investment company 264 6
- Error or mistake in CT return 331 1
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 212 1
- HMRC computer behind the times 366 3
- Sage & IRIS Payroll Employee ID. Problem Using Old Ee ID's? 103 1
- Transfer of stock 362 12
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 779
- RTI - duplicate employee record 531
- Pensions Regulator 443
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 402
- Sage Vat return box 2 305
- Sanzar 302
- Digital marketing focus group 282
- How do you do it 271
- Report old income 239
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 238