I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 711 21
- PITA ex-client 163 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 230 6
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 147 1
- Tax on free shares 47 2
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 336 9
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 112 6
- Buying a horse?? 351 11
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 311 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,652 19
- New supplier 118 3
- Audit 414 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 821 22
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 83 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 239 13
- Scottish Independance 874 24
- Funding Circle experience 70 1
- Awkward IP 1,502 16
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 61 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,161 12
- CTA study material 797
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 489
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 445
- Employment related securities question 316
- AIM Stocks and IHT 295
- Expat pension contributions? 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 273
- Trust for Employee 252
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 216
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 155