I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 759 22
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 189 7
- Related Parties Note 81 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,167 52
- what time is it ? 298 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 86 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 430 24
- VAT on disbursement 165 2
- Business Christmas Greetings 996 18
- tax credits 207 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,040 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 82 1
- LLP - Member leaving 189 6
- Year end 258 3
- Foreign income for self employed 172 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 306 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 323 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,148 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 252 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 627 21
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 907
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 526
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 335
- How to format a stock book 320
- Tax efficient holding company structure 257
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 247
- Investment property company accounts template 231
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 196
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 181
- Charge out rates in London? 157