I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 72 1
- Goodie bag 1,495 52
- Husband Wife let property 336 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 488 12
- Output tax for retailer 300 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 253 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 108 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 102 1
- CT600 Advice 80 1
- Fair Value Accounting 62 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 107 4
- can I approach clients ? 353 8
- Companies House Penalties 86 2
- Apostille documents 95 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 527 13
- AE - employees making different contributions 68 1
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 327 14
- Classic cars investment 553 15
- Why .... 818 9
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 524 5
- Possible Partnership? 638
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 512
- New Fangled Penalties 442
- Fuming! 372
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 315
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 253
- Outsource Data Entry 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 232
- Moving away from CCH software 224
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 173