I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 293 10
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 237 2
- Recharge for private use of a company car 533 17
- how to object to registered company name... 262 2
- Capitalising purchased software 67 1
- Late Filing and Late Registration Penalty 105 2
- Property income in different capacities 233 5
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 485 12
- CGT 458 19
- CGT 276 5
- Vat registration exception 112 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 454 10
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 109 1
- Charity Grant accounting 99 3
- Entrepreneurs Relief 849 46
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 240 5
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 411 8
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 450 5
- VAT QUESTION 345 3
- More AE! 705 15
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,209
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 805
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 502
- Digita Hosted Software 325
- Credit where credit's due....... 296
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 231
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 175
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 149
- TheTax Donut 147
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 143