I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Limited Company 23 1
- I do not love you 59 1
- Stamp Duty 325 5
- Love is in the air 681 8
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 733 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 847 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 376 5
- Paying Son 792 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 402 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 284 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,071 47
- Setting up a practice 619 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 604 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 547 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 469 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 247 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,863 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 442 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 608 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 601 7
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Foreign domicile status 299
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 298
- CGT for NOn UK residents 285
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 282
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 246
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 234
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 230