I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 465 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 189 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 140 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 130 2
- You know its over 257 3
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 179 3
- Cocaine anyone? 469 8
- Late Registration for VAT 473 13
- EIS/SEIS 132 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 262 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 403 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 405 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 687 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 539 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 569 4
- Personal pension 395 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 219 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,205 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 908 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 153 3
- Hive up 487
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 450
- corporate hierarchy 431
- Advice - 268
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 220
- WWOOFers 214
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 204
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 192
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 171
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171