I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 157 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 426 8
- VAT on employee loan 267 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 651 28
- Accountants website 333 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 51 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 96 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 342 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,398 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 213 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 160 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 206 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 192 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 712 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 147 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 83 2
- Purchased Goodwill 141 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 109 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 223 4
- Recruitment agencies 595 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,079
- Moving away from CCH software 931
- QROP pension input amounts 425
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 341
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 266
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 237
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 211
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189