I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- flat rate scheme 828 28
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 593 18
- TAX CERTIFICATES- DO THEY NEED TAXPAYER'S NAME? 125 1
- Accountants reference for me?? 245 1
- CIS online 162 3
- Class IV NIC 179 3
- bookkeeping system 209 4
- Company van paid by director 118 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,573 46
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 253 3
- changes to small vat returns after death. 139 3
- Private company division 116 1
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 307 6
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 643 7
- Split year treatment ? 130 1
- How to reward a long standing employee 286 3
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 114 2
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 210 2
- Windows 7 to 8 should I go Excel or Office 365 258 3
- Special dividends & CGT 313 2