I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Director resignation 25 1
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 202 3
- Put fees on website 104 3
- effective advertising 47 1
- Sigma Red 1,305 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 325 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 57 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 138 2
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 427 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 442 7
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 127 6
- VAT Variation Team 181 3
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 70 1
- Sage help please 291 4
- charges for storing documents 190 1
- Share scheme annual returns problem 71 1
- VAT in Eu 65 1
- Sage opening balance / retained profit nightmare! 126 2
- minimum shareholding 89 1
- Budget 2015 - take two 378 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 473
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 457
- WIP Software 328
- No payroll scheme in place 277
- Is there anything wrong with this? 249
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 243
- Small Part Disposal of Property 223
- Uncommercial property business 216
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 187
- SA Penalty 179