I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Deleted question? 716 19
- Accounts Question 79 4
- What are options for non CA firm 3,156 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,923 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 687 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,382 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,911 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 638 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 426 4
- VAT Return Errors 160 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 111 5
- inflation rate year on year 136 3
- Yorkshire Day 590 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 176 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 175 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 376 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 142 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 289 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 235 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 149 1
- Cancelled 468
- Cancelled 385
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 375
- Probiz 356
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 260
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 235
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 229
- More spam 183
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 161
- Employee Benefit Trust 151