I've acted for a farmer for the last 10 years or so and, he's been retired for around the last five years.
I've a couple of Forms R40 with HMRC and, in May this year, they advised that they were unable to locate the claim for 2008/09. However, they were aware that I'd submitted the claim for 2009/10 and they suggested that; I resubmit the earlier claim and they would then deal with both claims together.
The above sets the scene, so to speak and, as shown above, it would be quite clear that this particular taxpayer, has instructed an agent.
Over the week-end, I've received the agents copy of a tax calculation, for 2010/11which shows the client is due to a refund of over £800 and, from what I can see, the calculation includes accurate information and income from; state pension, Paye income (small annuity), bank and building society interest and untaxed interest. Being aware of my client's savings/investment income, the list would have been quite long!
I contacted my client to make sure that; he hadn't completed the claim for 2010/11 on his own, or, give instructions, to an alternate. The answer, negative in both cases.
I've therefore, somehow "lost out" here, on the one hand, with regard to my fee income but, equally importantly, will HMRC now be calculating all the elderly taxpayers refunds, at the same time as they are seeking collection of tax which is underpaid? Of course they won't.
And I mistakenly thought that our tax system was supposedly fair!
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 391 15
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 836 28
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,058 29
- directors loan 272 8
- Director registration for SA question 278 11
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 230 3
- New Company reviews please 466 12
- Business only use of company car 608 23
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 345 4
- CIS not deducted 316 5
- Car Capital Contribution 183 2
- cgt quoted shares losses 211 1
- LLP and corporate members - timing differences impact on corp tax 99 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 209 3
- Money Laundering Manual 264 10
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 358 8
- VAT with Russia 143 1
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 219 2
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,167 9
- CGT on Let Property 241 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 285
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 236
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 235
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 211
- Any thoughts on Capium? 204
- Expenses Software 189
- auto enrolment 178
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- How to account for investment in JV? 147
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 146