Enquiry - rental property for parent in son's name
My client, a higher rate taxpayer, has several buy to let properties. A few years ago his mother, a non-taxpayer, wanted to acquire such a property but as she was unable to raise a mortgage, my client purchased it with the aid of a mortgage in his name. The rent has been retained by the mother and the mortgage paid by her. Apparently she has declared this on her tax returns. The Revenue have enquired into this arrangement and seem to be suggesting that the rent should have been included on my client's return. My client said that the whole family know about this arrangement (shame nobody told me!) and that all concerned feel that the property belongs to mother and that she is responsible for the mortgage. However, there is no documentary evidence, deed of trust, etc.
Can anyone provide case law or other advice that may assist me in defending my client's position.
Would it help if affidavits were obtained from all parties, setting out their intentions and should a deed of trust now be prepared confirming the beneficial ownership?
- Old CGT loss 225 4
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 957 14
- Trade creditor journal 28 1
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 387 9
- How much of your work is admin? 640 6
- HMRC Distraint 84 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 139 2
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 216 3
- Running two businesses from the same premises 418 5
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 126 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,369 42
- Nominal Ledger 393 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 596 20
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 192 2
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 216 3
- Paper tax return 174 4
- Start up allowance? 391 12
- Will I need to resign? 249 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 256 3
- AIA or IFA 461 7