Enquiry - rental property for parent in son's name
My client, a higher rate taxpayer, has several buy to let properties. A few years ago his mother, a non-taxpayer, wanted to acquire such a property but as she was unable to raise a mortgage, my client purchased it with the aid of a mortgage in his name. The rent has been retained by the mother and the mortgage paid by her. Apparently she has declared this on her tax returns. The Revenue have enquired into this arrangement and seem to be suggesting that the rent should have been included on my client's return. My client said that the whole family know about this arrangement (shame nobody told me!) and that all concerned feel that the property belongs to mother and that she is responsible for the mortgage. However, there is no documentary evidence, deed of trust, etc.
Can anyone provide case law or other advice that may assist me in defending my client's position.
Would it help if affidavits were obtained from all parties, setting out their intentions and should a deed of trust now be prepared confirming the beneficial ownership?
- Family Partnership 250 7
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 316 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 118 2
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 102 3
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 56 2
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 169 4
- flat rate scheme 2,326 47
- Signed accounts for bank 642 14
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 831 12
- Business lending another business money (UK) 292 7
- Deferring dividends on paper 170 5
- VAT Query on new build 105 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 140 1
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 146 4
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 93 1
- P11D Car Value 259 6
- NOVA declaration 104 1
- Business valuation advice 709 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,509 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,227 23