Enquiry - rental property for parent in son's name
My client, a higher rate taxpayer, has several buy to let properties. A few years ago his mother, a non-taxpayer, wanted to acquire such a property but as she was unable to raise a mortgage, my client purchased it with the aid of a mortgage in his name. The rent has been retained by the mother and the mortgage paid by her. Apparently she has declared this on her tax returns. The Revenue have enquired into this arrangement and seem to be suggesting that the rent should have been included on my client's return. My client said that the whole family know about this arrangement (shame nobody told me!) and that all concerned feel that the property belongs to mother and that she is responsible for the mortgage. However, there is no documentary evidence, deed of trust, etc.
Can anyone provide case law or other advice that may assist me in defending my client's position.
Would it help if affidavits were obtained from all parties, setting out their intentions and should a deed of trust now be prepared confirming the beneficial ownership?
- Insovent companies 869 19
- Rounding errors on CT600 187 6
- Xerocon 2016 1,195 33
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 142 2
- New Build 173 1
- Mortgage Reference 499 6
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,292 48
- BrightPay quirks 174 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 794 20
- Website Content 126 1
- Personal Tax 618 12
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 121 1
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 161 1
- USA Tax Query 286 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 431 5
- last minute request 640 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 341 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 374 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,732 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 985 6