Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 237 5
- Losses carry forward to self employed 210 3
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 290 4
- FHL - hedge purchase 117 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 536 18
- Fees 489 6
- HMRC Post 592 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 449 8
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 450 8
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 295 3
- www.pool.adzio 175 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,883 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 293 3
- Transactions with directors 484 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 314 9
- Non VAT invoices 253 4
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,441 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 283 5
- Form 17 Download 201 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 602 28
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 769
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 421
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 371
- Electric Car 304
- S222 Charge 255
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 218
- IP trans to holding company 198
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 191
- AIA 189
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 185