Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Accountants website 356 5
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 210 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 671 29
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 67 1
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 161 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 443 8
- VAT on employee loan 273 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 70 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 102 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 351 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,402 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 215 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 165 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 215 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 197 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 714 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 148 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 89 2
- Purchased Goodwill 148 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 116 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,080
- Moving away from CCH software 934
- QROP pension input amounts 426
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 371
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 343
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 310
- fraud 268
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 238
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 212
- Construction CIS LLP Company 190