Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- R&D tax claim 102 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 582 13
- Vat threshold issues 118 2
- Growing pains 361 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 237 14
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 77 1
- Consequential loss claim 121 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 190 5
- ATT Annual Return Problems 120 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 107 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 339 5
- private to company car? 204 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 957 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 588 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 154 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 239 1
- Partner with an IVA 175 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 601 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 426 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 320 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 418
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 287
- Pre incorp expenses 279
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 246
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 210
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 185
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 178