Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 549 6
- 27,000 Really? 1,061 33
- Legal title not in the company name 769 23
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 65 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 75 1
- This is getting boring 586 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 234 7
- pension paid by company? 91 3
- inheritance tax 401 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 328 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 221 4
- State pension 290 3
- Accountancy Career 114 1
- CIC Company 655 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,817 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,279 66
- Deduction from Salary 641 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 432 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,691 16
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 394
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 334
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 278
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 251
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 222