Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 134 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,040 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 370 4
- Setting up a practice 378 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 493 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 453 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 267 1
- Love is in the air 537 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 653 17
- Stamp Duty 294 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,806 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 589 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 268 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 262 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 573 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 582 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 387 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 395 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 455 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 301
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 291
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 276
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 254
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 240
- Apprenticeship Levy 238
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Capital Gains personal representatives 221
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 213