Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,208 40
- Recharge for private use of a company car 96 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 336 7
- Wear and tear allowance 433 10
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 109 3
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 182 6
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 223 14
- Residency test 191 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 184 3
- VAT Turnover 96 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 121 1
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 119 4
- Company purchase of shares 277 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 118 2
- VAT QUESTION 156 2
- Holding on to fees paid monthly for work not yet done? 1,123 14
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,254 15
- Why should I retain membership? 2,280 35
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 493 14
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 688 10
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 687
- Auto enrolment excuses 632
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 363
- Social investment tax relief 178
- Call Centre Data Costs 175
- Digita Hosted Software 171
- option to tax 157
- VAT on deposits 141
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 135
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 131