Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 423 16
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 251 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 325 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,279 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 131 2
- Companies House incorporation service 320 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 55 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 134 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 187 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 166 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 230 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 131 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 137 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,588 12
- Share Capital 116 2
- Trading income or not? 175 1
- Charge HMRC 395 3
- FRS17 query 229 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,772 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,721 29
- Xtuple 545
- Qtac payroll for bureau 374
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 315
- Industrial & Provident Societies 310
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 288
- CIS schemes 220
- Domain name sale and limited company 204
- Investment 183
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 177