Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Corporation Tax Software 392 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 78 1
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 27 1
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,005 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 663 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 81 1
- Auto enrolment 124 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 129 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 92 4
- Regular Director bonus 440 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 145 1
- Registration as self-employed 127 1
- BrightPay 1,090 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 530 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 347 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,109 17
- BIK for an electric car 164 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,629 90
- How do I save face? 2,369 14
- Goodie bag 3,101 72
- Possible Partnership? 689
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 534
- Fuming! 513
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 334
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 275
- Moving away from CCH software 265
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 256
- Outsource Data Entry 255
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 207