Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 356 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,419 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 167 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 438 12
- Share premium or Directors Loan 736 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 115 3
- What would you do in this situation? 158 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 140 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 610 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 641 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 93 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 344 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 247 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 399 6
- NOVA 557 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 277 10
- Regional Development Grant 126 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,432 21
- Company car without a salary 239 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 378
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 290
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 259
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 180
- Finance Lease 157
- Company Car Lease 156
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132