Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Accounting Crew 48 1
- PII and previous accountant 272 7
- Processing RTI whilst on holiday 2,617 43
- Self Employed travel 203 3
- What's the plural? 302 7
- deleted 553 24
- Use of aliases 501 15
- Builder - Roll over relief 237 13
- xbrl accounts and HMRC template help 530 11
- Alphabet Shares - tax implications? 1,442 8
- What should I charge for unlimited advice and support ? 222 5
- DISCOUNTED RENT FREE PERIOD 146 2
- VAT - Quidco Cash-back 214 3
- Subsidiary or New Company? 82 2
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 277 3
- VAT on Import goods 144 4
- Sale of Van to a Guernsey company and VAT 108 2
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 731 8
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 92 1
- Client leaving and querying previous years accounts 691 25
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 561
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 409
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 315
- IFA incorporation 286
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 271
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 271
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 240
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 228
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 199
- Life assurance gains anomoly?? 191