Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 175 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 69 2
- Director's tax return 152 3
- Tricky VAT question 77 1
- Wrong career 358 15
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 84 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 200 6
- VT accounts licence key 196 5
- Weely paid employees 188 2
- Splitting the tax year 57 1
- FPS Submission 102 2
- PTP software disaster 170 1
- Value pricing 625 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 194 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 106 1
- vat return 208 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 159 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,957 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 158 3
- reporting salary? 248 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 781
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 536
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 405
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 287
- Free Tax Legislation? 242
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 231
- Director Loan account operation 225
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 217
- Paye procedures for CVA 155