Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 441 7
- Company assets 268 9
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,005 12
- Director resignation 699 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,765 30
- Additional information attached to accounts 92 1
- CIS Only Scheme 65 1
- No payroll scheme in place 332 1
- Xero Training 379 3
- SA Penalty 216 1
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 231 13
- Debtor weighting by sales 70 1
- The stupidity continues 2,794 103
- Company oversea and VAT 171 7
- Am I too soft? 1,068 14
- looking for a practice consultant 375 4
- Sample wording for fair usage terms 188 2
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 440 11
- Small Business Payroll 194 7
- RTI - are HMRC picking any numbers? 243 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 498
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 474
- Is there anything wrong with this? 275
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 263
- Uncommercial property business 235
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 202
- Registering online CWF1 180
- Accrued income scheme 176
- VAT - registration needed? 171
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 170