Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 30 1
- Wrong tax code 121 5
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,035 31
- Am I getting Soft?? 197 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 629 11
- Deferred Tax 455 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 201 1
- You know its over 467 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 237 1
- Benefit in Kind 215 5
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 136 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 219 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,262 14
- Cocaine anyone? 600 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 136 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 178 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 300 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 489 15
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,301 8
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 535 9
- Hive up 506
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 472
- corporate hierarchy 448
- Advice - 287
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 232
- WWOOFers 227
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 214
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 191
- The booking.com con 167
- UK State pension paid in NZ 161