Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 128 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,342 377
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 129 4
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 77 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,250 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 486 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 263 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,276 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 112 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 168 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 107 1
- Scottish but not UK 318 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 287 10
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- P11D Query 152 4
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 93 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 441 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 104 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 299 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 429
- National Insurance 331
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 325
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 241
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152