Entrepreneurs' Relief - another question
I have a client (60 ish) who's about to start divorce proceedings. He wants to gift his company (of which he owns 99% of the shares) to his children (one of whom owns the other 1%) prior to doing so, and get Entrepreneurs' Relief. The main reason for this is to be able to get at the fairly large cash reserves held by the company which he cannot do at present without higher rate tax on dividends.
Not sure whether he can do this, though - if he gifts the shares this will perforce include the cash, which the children will have to give back to him, thereby incurring their own IHT problems, albeit hopefully academic as they're only around 30. And in any event, will they be able to get at the cash any more easily than the client ?
He wants to remain as MD, however, and receive a salary of maybe £60k, biting the NI bullet in doing so as he won't be able to have dividends. As far as I can see, becoming MD won't prevent his getting ER.
Other option might be to just wind up the company, claim ER on the assets, and start another company.
Any comments, anyone ?
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 102 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 168 1
- Shareholder agreement 188 4
- Corporation tax due date confusion 101 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,481 21
- Accountants' Error 756 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 167 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 166 3
- Scoot 204 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 166 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 229 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 668 11
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 118 1
- Regaining my qualification 243 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 251 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 274 2
- Auto enrolment 210 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 201 3
- Company Reorganisation 175 3
- Employee Loan 225 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,461
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 776
- Any views 706
- HMRC Employers Diary 527
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 263
- Advertising services? 262
- IRIS Open Books problem 253