We have a client who is the Director and 100% shareholder in A Ltd. He used to run two pubs in the company. The building of Pub A was personally owned by the director and the building of Pub B was owned by the company. The director used to charge the rent to the company for the use of building of Pub A at market rate. In April 2011 the director sold the building of Pub A to a developer and hence ceased the business of Pub A. Further after selling the building the director decided to go South Africa and leave the UK permanently. He ceased the business of Pub B as well and gave that pub to a tenant to run the pub. After 15-16 months, as things didn’t go according to his plan in SA, he came back to the UK and acquired the pub from the tenant and started running the pub in the company.
My question is, whether the director is eligible to claim Entrepreneur’s Relief on the capital gains on the sale of the building of Pub A? I assume that even though there is no sale of share by the director, there is material disposal in way of cessation of the business. And therefore the sale of building should be considered as an associate disposal and thus the client is eligible to claim Entrepreneur’s Relief on the capital gains.
Can anyone please advise on this and suggest whether the relief can be claimed?
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 122 4
- Business lending another business money (UK) 303 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 30 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 265 7
- Family Partnership 282 9
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 176 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 190 6
- Business trips - director and family 417 3
- Signed accounts for bank 662 15
- flat rate scheme 2,372 50
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 167 2
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 327 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 182 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 90 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 848 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 200 5
- VAT Query on new build 126 1
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 116 1
- P11D Car Value 273 6
- NOVA declaration 112 1