Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- SA302's anyone?? 602 17
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 98 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 343 12
- Cash in Hand 106 2
- Buy to let and capitak gain 156 4
- Busines software 146 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 193 6
- Converting a barn for business use 184 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 308 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 313 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 477 10
- are receipts needed? 609 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 306 3
- Bookkeping software 721 7
- Clogged Losses 282 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 268 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 657 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 318 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 271 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 127 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 521
- NOVA 372
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 322
- Management expenses for investment company 275
- Bonus Bonds 269
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 183
- P11D benefit received by widow 162
- EXACT ONLINE 157
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 153