Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- R&D tax credit claim 274 7
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 620 10
- One off meeting new client 1,158 10
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,188 20
- Child tax credits 112 2
- Deaf clients 594 6
- rental income since 2003 102 1
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,675 29
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 403 10
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,242 54
- PITA client 415 4
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 540 12
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 87 1
- Estate agent and VAT registration 235 4
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 223 4
- Peer to Peer lending 1,076 8
- Small company audit 347 9
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 124 2
- CIC Company 506 6
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 280 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 613
- Cancelled 358
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 339
- Cancelled 293
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 269
- Probiz 259
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 216
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 206
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 193
- Car leasing scheme 193