Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 46 2
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 2,831 92
- Solicitor wants to rent room in my office but 122 3
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 150 2
- Statement of Accounts 54 3
- GP's Annual Certificate of Pensionable Profits - Multiple Practices 129 2
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 199 7
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 229 2
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 194 3
- Transfer of Software to sister company 172 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 327 4
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 150 1
- CGT history of shares 240 4
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 290 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 390 6
- CGT on sale of let property 172 2
- how do i get UTR 211 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 117 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 278 3
- Your comments please 370 6
- Moving away from CCH software 981
- QROP pension input amounts 459
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 388
- fraud 309
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 292
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 249
- Construction CIS LLP Company 234
- EPS and CIS deductions 228
- Out of time or not? 216