Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 163 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 200 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,230 35
- Mortgage Reference 549 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 253 7
- Insovent companies 885 19
- New Build 214 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,297 48
- BrightPay quirks 228 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 808 20
- Website Content 183 1
- Personal Tax 631 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 199 1
- USA Tax Query 314 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 441 5
- last minute request 656 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 368 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 402 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,743 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 988 6