Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Scottish but not UK 283 8
- Pension Contributions Relief 275 10
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 59 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,193 364
- What is the role of an accountant? 391 13
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 249 1
- P11D Query 142 4
- 100% Xero practice 2,247 40
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 66 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,322 25
- Company Accounts 435 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 85 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 285 7
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 191 4
- VAT on introducer fees 120 2
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 85 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 202 12
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 323 18
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 285 5
- CIS 354 11
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 428
- National Insurance 327
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 321
- Non Resident 252
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 240
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152