Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Starting Again 133 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 651 31
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 362 10
- Mortgage Adviser's request 164 4
- CGT on spouse's death 92 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 394 8
- Payroll software 173 4
- Company UTR numbers 292 6
- Summer house for business only 83 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 97 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 560 18
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 133 3
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 128 3
- How do you count your clients 399 4
- Contractor & possible IR35 152 1
- GASDS What's the rule? 112 1
- Proposal to strike off...... 468 9
- Property Expenses 122 3
- Accrued salary unpaid 169 3
- Calling my southern Brothers. 744 15
- Construction CIS LLP Company 591
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 578
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 375
- Pensions Regulator 345
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 279
- Government Gateway - VAT 275
- Using the correct forms 261
- SA penalty proposals 244
- RTI - duplicate employee record 234
- Accelerated payment notices 227