Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Mehjoo 283 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 33 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 295 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 181 4
- SA302 310 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 282 13
- Bringing money to Uk 264 4
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 272 5
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 198 4
- Go Cardless 343 9
- Hmrc software 238 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 137 1
- Hosted email exchange 179 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 309 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 313 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 248 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 154 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 295 7
- New Email Extensions 213 1
- Xtuple 513
- Qtac payroll for bureau 352
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 297
- Industrial & Provident Societies 288
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 228
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 189
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 189
- Domain name sale and limited company 173
- CIS schemes 171
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 148