Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 387 7
- paye scheme very used 104 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 761 25
- Disclosure query 63 3
- Invoice factoring 38 2
- Auto enrolment 258 4
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 218 6
- LLP Accounts format 71 1
- Scoot 284 6
- A question about share structure 47 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 183 3
- Top slicing relief question 136 2
- Share swap 186 3
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 290 2
- Tax on sale of shares 161 3
- Accountants' Error 860 17
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 333 3
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 223 6
- Shareholder agreement 226 5
- VAT - time of supply 94 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,463
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 782
- Any views 710
- HMRC Employers Diary 530
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 398
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 266
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 259