Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Buying a horse?? 26 1
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 462 7
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 94 5
- Audit 228 6
- Awkward IP 1,299 13
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 594 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 739 22
- Do I need to pay my accountant 949 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,106 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 120 1
- carry back of gift aid 186 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 303 8
- What's in a name ? 1,029 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 906 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 231 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 563 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 242 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 412 6
- Potentially dodgy client 464 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 569 28
- CTA study material 787
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 485
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 431
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 271
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 265
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 204
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154