Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- When do we qualify for state pension? 79 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 90 4
- BTC vs Digita 947 29
- Seeking a tax case 202 8
- How much to charge for payroll? 696 15
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 244 4
- See you all on the other side 185 5
- VATABLE Income 170 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 100 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 242 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 385 6
- P11D software 68 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 437 9
- VAT - business splitting 226 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 578 16
- RTI - how to correct HMRC's error 401 7
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 944 16
- Jersey - VAT 107 2
- how to file Late annual Accounts for dormant company ? 293 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme for a Welder 128 2
- HMRC Joint Filing 520
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 389
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 350
- IRIS and FRS 102 323
- USA help 279
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 242
- Capital gains on rental property 223
- Sage Coretime 210
- Capitalising Finance Lease 209
- PILON Foreign Service Exemption ITEPA 2003 S414 185