Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- flat rate scheme 825 28
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 585 18
- TAX CERTIFICATES- DO THEY NEED TAXPAYER'S NAME? 115 1
- Accountants reference for me?? 243 1
- CIS online 162 3
- Class IV NIC 171 3
- bookkeeping system 204 4
- Company van paid by director 112 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,570 46
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 253 3
- changes to small vat returns after death. 136 3
- Private company division 105 1
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 307 6
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 643 7
- Split year treatment ? 124 1
- How to reward a long standing employee 281 3
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 111 2
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 210 2
- Windows 7 to 8 should I go Excel or Office 365 254 3
- Special dividends & CGT 313 2