Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 497 13
- Incapable of reading 89 1
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,244 19
- How to pay national insurance 130 2
- Overlap relief 454 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 92 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 66 1
- Dormant payroll 837 9
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 169 5
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 119 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,326 21
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 623 13
- PPR exemption on separation 143 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,544 10
- Selling a practice 327 4
- Intercompany loans 109 1
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 170 3
- Limited Company 335 11
- Sage renewals and terminations 125 1
- Suspicious debt recovery offer? 208 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 442
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 345
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 335
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 311
- Perkbox 274
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 242
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 242
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 231
- Document Management Systems 215
- WIP Software 199