Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Have i messed up? 546 9
- loss on carbon credits 75 2
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 138 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 517 9
- SAGE con 153 3
- Dazed & confused 106 2
- Related Parties Note 378 8
- Goodwill ammortisation 221 2
- Overpayment relief claim 108 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 216 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,522 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 505 28
- Charity reserves 109 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,484 16
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,247 19
- do I have to pay NI? 267 4
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 96 3
- rates of pay query 151 1
- Flat rate vat error 422 8
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 99 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 999
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 541
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 203
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 180
- Personal consumption by landlord 177
- Interest on Loan to a Company 170