Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- ACCA practice certificates 44 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 182 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,080 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 158 2
- What would you do in this situation? 680 14
- Dress code 502 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 517 16
- Project being run jointly 212 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 318 4
- Companies House 615 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 373 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 738 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,451 25
- Help Required 431 10
- directors control and tax problems 322 5
- Fastest Software 812 13
- What's in a name ? 414 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 328 4
- Bulk Invoicing 198 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 196 3
- CTA study material 717
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 441
- Employment related securities question 276
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 265
- AIM Stocks and IHT 254
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 219
- Expat pension contributions? 206
- Trust for Employee 205
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 186