Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,038 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 365 4
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 101 1
- Setting up a practice 353 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 477 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 434 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 248 1
- Love is in the air 520 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 652 17
- Stamp Duty 293 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,800 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 570 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 246 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 261 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 571 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 579 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 376 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 394 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 454 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 300
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 288
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 253
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 224
- Capital Gains personal representatives 220
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 207