Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Business only use of company car 772 29
- Assets at strike off 43 2
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 179 5
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,115 34
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 387 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,199 30
- New Company reviews please 655 16
- Voluntary Disclosure 427 8
- Gift to son by parents 206 1
- valuation of vehicles 498 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 301 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 225 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 436 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 472 4
- BTC is slow 320 3
- Director registration for SA question 553 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 495 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 523 22
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 535 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 375 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 329
- Any thoughts on Capium? 271
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 265
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 251
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 231
- auto enrolment 209
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 189
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 179
- How to account for investment in JV? 170
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 160