Errors from former practice in VAT
A new small retail client has recently transferred their Accounting to my firm.
The reasons were due to:
1. A lack of support
2. the previous accountancy firm issued a schedule showing variances between Sales data provided by the client and actual sales.
The reasons for the variance was two fold:
1. All sales were not included on client's Revenue schedule
2. A fundamental error by previous accountants resulted in erroneous reporting of Sales, Output VAT and Input VAT
Clearly point 2 is an error of the accountancy firm. Point 1 is also, as they failed to check the Revenue reported by client to the bank statement which were made available in electronic format. If they had done this, they would have been able to advise the client the nature of the problem, rather than give client a schedule asking client to resolve. Also the problem goes back nearly 2 years at least.
My dilemma is the client can not pay the resulting VAT underpaid as the discrepancies cannot simply be absorbed due to the client's cash flow.
Should I raise this with previous accountants and will their indemnity insurance protect the client and stump up for previously unpaid VAT.
Also small loss last year may need to be restated.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
- Fee base v staff ratio 245 6
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 142 2
- Cash basis 412 11
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,835 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 306 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 214 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 72 1
- Investor exit 183 3
- Partially exempt? 359 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 118 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 393 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,208 22
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 372 4
- Statutory sick pay 235 3
- Overseas bank interest 223 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 166 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 363 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 225 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 318 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,960 589
- Skandia using wrong address 555
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 303
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 299
- Employee rewards 283
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 260
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 248
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 236
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 220
- Etax Australian 181
- LLP in Construction Industry 145