We have been astonished as the number of P800T issued by HMRC in respect of years going back as far as 2006-07 to some of our clients and other individuals who have become clients following receipt of such. How did HMRC get it so wrong when issuing coding notices because lets face it this is the main reason why so many employed and/or retired individuals are now receiving so many demands of underpaid tax.
What also bugs me is that they can go back more than 4 years when clients are now restricted to 4 years to make claims... one set of rules for them and another for taxpayers.
But the worst thing is that we are having to fight really hard to get them to apply ESC A19. The latest rejection states:-
Reason for decision: Even though we did not use the information that we received from your client or a third party properly or on time, we cannot accept that they thought that their tax records were correct. This is because the tax that your client owes was large enough for them to notice." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concern the amount owed is irrelevant and based on our client earnings it would not have been obvious to him that he might have not paid enough tax at source.
The original P800T sent by HMRC was grossly overstated as some bright spark did not capture the P11D beneficial loan benefit correctly and treated the loan as available all year when it was only given 2/3 of the way into the tax year. So we pointed this out to them and apply to have the balance of tax Written off under ESC A19. They subsequently amended the computations accepting they got it wrong (again!!) and ignored our appeal altogether. So we wrote to them again and this above is what they came up with.
Another case I came accross not ESC A19 related concerns a elderly client whose income less regular Gift aid payments keeps her just below the aged allowance limit. She had a tax bill of just £2.67 for 2011-12. I have asked them to take her out of self-assessment and they refused!!!!. It probably cost them more to process and recover such a small amount of tax and they let other get away with millions!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly I have just about enough with HMRC. They treat people with so much disrespect and contempt it make my blood boil...
Some heads need banging together......
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,024 30
- Dress code 411 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 486 16
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 89 1
- Project being run jointly 196 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 301 4
- Companies House 595 9
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 128 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 339 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 729 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,432 25
- What would you do in this situation? 614 13
- Help Required 394 10
- directors control and tax problems 273 5
- Fastest Software 802 13
- What's in a name ? 368 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 287 4
- Bulk Invoicing 190 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 177 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 258 2
- CTA study material 712
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 434
- Employment related securities question 273
- AIM Stocks and IHT 251
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 215
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 210
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 208
- Trust for Employee 195
- Expat pension contributions? 195
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 167