We have been astonished as the number of P800T issued by HMRC in respect of years going back as far as 2006-07 to some of our clients and other individuals who have become clients following receipt of such. How did HMRC get it so wrong when issuing coding notices because lets face it this is the main reason why so many employed and/or retired individuals are now receiving so many demands of underpaid tax.
What also bugs me is that they can go back more than 4 years when clients are now restricted to 4 years to make claims... one set of rules for them and another for taxpayers.
But the worst thing is that we are having to fight really hard to get them to apply ESC A19. The latest rejection states:-
Reason for decision: Even though we did not use the information that we received from your client or a third party properly or on time, we cannot accept that they thought that their tax records were correct. This is because the tax that your client owes was large enough for them to notice." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concern the amount owed is irrelevant and based on our client earnings it would not have been obvious to him that he might have not paid enough tax at source.
The original P800T sent by HMRC was grossly overstated as some bright spark did not capture the P11D beneficial loan benefit correctly and treated the loan as available all year when it was only given 2/3 of the way into the tax year. So we pointed this out to them and apply to have the balance of tax Written off under ESC A19. They subsequently amended the computations accepting they got it wrong (again!!) and ignored our appeal altogether. So we wrote to them again and this above is what they came up with.
Another case I came accross not ESC A19 related concerns a elderly client whose income less regular Gift aid payments keeps her just below the aged allowance limit. She had a tax bill of just £2.67 for 2011-12. I have asked them to take her out of self-assessment and they refused!!!!. It probably cost them more to process and recover such a small amount of tax and they let other get away with millions!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly I have just about enough with HMRC. They treat people with so much disrespect and contempt it make my blood boil...
Some heads need banging together......
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 144 8
- Buying a horse?? 159 8
- What's in a name ? 1,076 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 205 2
- Audit 301 8
- Awkward IP 1,367 14
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 779 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 476 7
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 621 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 767 22
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,027 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,112 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 132 1
- carry back of gift aid 192 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 307 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 935 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 251 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 569 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 253 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 427 6
- CTA study material 791
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 432
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 272
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 266
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 209
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154