We have been astonished as the number of P800T issued by HMRC in respect of years going back as far as 2006-07 to some of our clients and other individuals who have become clients following receipt of such. How did HMRC get it so wrong when issuing coding notices because lets face it this is the main reason why so many employed and/or retired individuals are now receiving so many demands of underpaid tax.
What also bugs me is that they can go back more than 4 years when clients are now restricted to 4 years to make claims... one set of rules for them and another for taxpayers.
But the worst thing is that we are having to fight really hard to get them to apply ESC A19. The latest rejection states:-
Reason for decision: Even though we did not use the information that we received from your client or a third party properly or on time, we cannot accept that they thought that their tax records were correct. This is because the tax that your client owes was large enough for them to notice." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concern the amount owed is irrelevant and based on our client earnings it would not have been obvious to him that he might have not paid enough tax at source.
The original P800T sent by HMRC was grossly overstated as some bright spark did not capture the P11D beneficial loan benefit correctly and treated the loan as available all year when it was only given 2/3 of the way into the tax year. So we pointed this out to them and apply to have the balance of tax Written off under ESC A19. They subsequently amended the computations accepting they got it wrong (again!!) and ignored our appeal altogether. So we wrote to them again and this above is what they came up with.
Another case I came accross not ESC A19 related concerns a elderly client whose income less regular Gift aid payments keeps her just below the aged allowance limit. She had a tax bill of just £2.67 for 2011-12. I have asked them to take her out of self-assessment and they refused!!!!. It probably cost them more to process and recover such a small amount of tax and they let other get away with millions!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly I have just about enough with HMRC. They treat people with so much disrespect and contempt it make my blood boil...
Some heads need banging together......
- 5th April 333 12
- s455 Directors loan 238 4
- VAT on exports to EU 100 3
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 598 24
- Company buy back of shares from directors 210 11
- Please tell me what to do!! 377 8
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,993 33
- Cash basis 146 5
- Cash basis 805 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 283 2
- Investor exit 255 4
- client threatening legal action 2,322 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 143 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 245 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 350 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,595 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 339 9
- Rental income 175 2
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 78 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,198 8
- Skandia using wrong address 614
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 328
- Employee rewards 310
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 275
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 239
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 154
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 145
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 141