We have been astonished as the number of P800T issued by HMRC in respect of years going back as far as 2006-07 to some of our clients and other individuals who have become clients following receipt of such. How did HMRC get it so wrong when issuing coding notices because lets face it this is the main reason why so many employed and/or retired individuals are now receiving so many demands of underpaid tax.
What also bugs me is that they can go back more than 4 years when clients are now restricted to 4 years to make claims... one set of rules for them and another for taxpayers.
But the worst thing is that we are having to fight really hard to get them to apply ESC A19. The latest rejection states:-
Reason for decision: Even though we did not use the information that we received from your client or a third party properly or on time, we cannot accept that they thought that their tax records were correct. This is because the tax that your client owes was large enough for them to notice." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concern the amount owed is irrelevant and based on our client earnings it would not have been obvious to him that he might have not paid enough tax at source.
The original P800T sent by HMRC was grossly overstated as some bright spark did not capture the P11D beneficial loan benefit correctly and treated the loan as available all year when it was only given 2/3 of the way into the tax year. So we pointed this out to them and apply to have the balance of tax Written off under ESC A19. They subsequently amended the computations accepting they got it wrong (again!!) and ignored our appeal altogether. So we wrote to them again and this above is what they came up with.
Another case I came accross not ESC A19 related concerns a elderly client whose income less regular Gift aid payments keeps her just below the aged allowance limit. She had a tax bill of just £2.67 for 2011-12. I have asked them to take her out of self-assessment and they refused!!!!. It probably cost them more to process and recover such a small amount of tax and they let other get away with millions!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly I have just about enough with HMRC. They treat people with so much disrespect and contempt it make my blood boil...
Some heads need banging together......
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 287 9
- Where can I report and accountant for defraud 234 6
- Where has Portia gone? 3,579 93
- RTI Payroll ID 742 20
- Overlap profit 83 1
- Sole trader paying Class 1 NIC 93 1
- Stock of photos to capatilise 300 14
- Spousal transfer and PPR 784 34
- Rogue Accountant 3,579 57
- Assigning loan from Company to adult children 95 2
- Practice management software 1,111 21
- micro entity balance sheet query 148 4
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 338 19
- Inheritance Tax - Gifts UK 158 1
- VAT on a private sale? 187 5
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 250 3
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,242 24
- Payroll software 207 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 91 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 609 19
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 821
- Pensions Regulator 462
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 427
- Sanzar 328
- How do you do it 318
- Digital marketing focus group 307
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 279
- new investor structure 187
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 186
- Fit for purpose 182