We have been astonished as the number of P800T issued by HMRC in respect of years going back as far as 2006-07 to some of our clients and other individuals who have become clients following receipt of such. How did HMRC get it so wrong when issuing coding notices because lets face it this is the main reason why so many employed and/or retired individuals are now receiving so many demands of underpaid tax.
What also bugs me is that they can go back more than 4 years when clients are now restricted to 4 years to make claims... one set of rules for them and another for taxpayers.
But the worst thing is that we are having to fight really hard to get them to apply ESC A19. The latest rejection states:-
Reason for decision: Even though we did not use the information that we received from your client or a third party properly or on time, we cannot accept that they thought that their tax records were correct. This is because the tax that your client owes was large enough for them to notice." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concern the amount owed is irrelevant and based on our client earnings it would not have been obvious to him that he might have not paid enough tax at source.
The original P800T sent by HMRC was grossly overstated as some bright spark did not capture the P11D beneficial loan benefit correctly and treated the loan as available all year when it was only given 2/3 of the way into the tax year. So we pointed this out to them and apply to have the balance of tax Written off under ESC A19. They subsequently amended the computations accepting they got it wrong (again!!) and ignored our appeal altogether. So we wrote to them again and this above is what they came up with.
Another case I came accross not ESC A19 related concerns a elderly client whose income less regular Gift aid payments keeps her just below the aged allowance limit. She had a tax bill of just £2.67 for 2011-12. I have asked them to take her out of self-assessment and they refused!!!!. It probably cost them more to process and recover such a small amount of tax and they let other get away with millions!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly I have just about enough with HMRC. They treat people with so much disrespect and contempt it make my blood boil...
Some heads need banging together......
- VAT on nightclub vouchers 52 3
- Which software for practice books? 388 17
- Seed EIS company 66 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,728 35
- Flat rate vat error 86 2
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 258 6
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 137 7
- EC TAX 39 1
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 182 4
- Pension contributions limits 201 9
- Write off of former director's loan 302 7
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 82 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 93 1
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 528 10
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 250 6
- Pension contributions > £50k BRB effect 89 2
- VAT enquiry 162 2
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 498 15
- Inheritance tax 272 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 85 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 661
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 488
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 454
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 279
- How to format a stock book 239
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 198
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 192
- Tax efficient holding company structure 182
- Investment property company accounts template 170
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 165