We have been astonished as the number of P800T issued by HMRC in respect of years going back as far as 2006-07 to some of our clients and other individuals who have become clients following receipt of such. How did HMRC get it so wrong when issuing coding notices because lets face it this is the main reason why so many employed and/or retired individuals are now receiving so many demands of underpaid tax.
What also bugs me is that they can go back more than 4 years when clients are now restricted to 4 years to make claims... one set of rules for them and another for taxpayers.
But the worst thing is that we are having to fight really hard to get them to apply ESC A19. The latest rejection states:-
Reason for decision: Even though we did not use the information that we received from your client or a third party properly or on time, we cannot accept that they thought that their tax records were correct. This is because the tax that your client owes was large enough for them to notice." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concern the amount owed is irrelevant and based on our client earnings it would not have been obvious to him that he might have not paid enough tax at source.
The original P800T sent by HMRC was grossly overstated as some bright spark did not capture the P11D beneficial loan benefit correctly and treated the loan as available all year when it was only given 2/3 of the way into the tax year. So we pointed this out to them and apply to have the balance of tax Written off under ESC A19. They subsequently amended the computations accepting they got it wrong (again!!) and ignored our appeal altogether. So we wrote to them again and this above is what they came up with.
Another case I came accross not ESC A19 related concerns a elderly client whose income less regular Gift aid payments keeps her just below the aged allowance limit. She had a tax bill of just £2.67 for 2011-12. I have asked them to take her out of self-assessment and they refused!!!!. It probably cost them more to process and recover such a small amount of tax and they let other get away with millions!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly I have just about enough with HMRC. They treat people with so much disrespect and contempt it make my blood boil...
Some heads need banging together......
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 415 6
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 282 13
- VAT flat rate scheme 229 4
- Unpaid Fee's 433 8
- IHT on offshore settlement 109 1
- Subcontracting accountancy work 113 2
- Client information from previous accountant 252 5
- Tax and NI on payment to overseas employee 177 2
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 311 10
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 202 9
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 247 5
- Corporation Tax DTR 923 9
- PAYE NI 198 4
- break even point 1,041 31
- Tasbook email configuration 214 3
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 245 4
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 136 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 232 2
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,703 31
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 168 1
- Possible Partnership? 519
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 499
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 470
- New Fangled Penalties 314
- Clubs and Taxable Income 264
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 261
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 259
- Loans to other companies 198
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 173
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 166