ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- backpack 264 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 125 3
- CIS 141 2
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 210 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 334 8
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,122 15
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 177 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 331 5
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 626 14
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 138 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 180 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 98 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 250 6
- Really?! 745 9
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 453 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 899 12
- Is the CT61 return dead? 299 4
- Car Purchase 156 1
- Directors liability insurance and scope 185 7
- IR35 156 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 704
- 2015 tax year end 437
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 415
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 355
- Costly Accounting Software contract 310
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 254
- Directors' advances and credits 251
- DTA tie-breaker issue 238
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 221
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 201