ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 47 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,261 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,236 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 976 29
- You know its over 377 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 508 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 247 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 197 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 182 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 290 3
- Cocaine anyone? 532 8
- Late Registration for VAT 500 13
- EIS/SEIS 158 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 285 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 435 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 434 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 735 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 569 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 602 4
- Personal pension 408 9
- Hive up 497
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 465
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 278
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 224
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 212
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 208
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 187
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 181