ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 240 7
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 230 1
- Audit rules 204 5
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 244 1
- Sales Commission to Employees / External Companies 30 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 260 2
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 34 1
- How do you value an internet based business 819 11
- Capital repayments 44 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 88 1
- business entertaining deductibility 254 2
- Flat Rate VAT 164 1
- SA302 398 8
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 518 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 414 8
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 466 5
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 482 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 212 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,546 41
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 160 1
- Xtuple 528
- Qtac payroll for bureau 359
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 303
- Industrial & Provident Societies 296
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 223
- Domain name sale and limited company 186
- CIS schemes 183
- Investment 162
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 161
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 136