ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 763 32
- VAT Invoice 58 3
- IHT and Swiss Property 101 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 173 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 122 7
- General tax book with planning 91 1
- Gift of property & improvements 75 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 236 10
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 118 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 412 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 337 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 232 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 153 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 248 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 149 4
- SA302's anyone?? 515 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,627 41
- Renting for military reasons 173 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,560 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,042 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,616
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 896
- International interest certificate 508
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 288
- Management expenses for investment company 261
- Bonus Bonds 259
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 170
- tax on apprenticeship income 166
- P11D benefit received by widow 147