ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- Stock of photos to capatilise 190 9
- Rogue Accountant 3,346 53
- Practice management software 1,067 20
- Assigning loan from Company to adult children 30 1
- micro entity balance sheet query 60 3
- Where has Portia gone? 3,206 88
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 324 19
- Inheritance Tax - Gifts UK 145 1
- VAT on a private sale? 130 5
- RTI Payroll ID 544 17
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 216 3
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,217 24
- Payroll software 168 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 60 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 593 19
- Trade Association Dinner 146 1
- RTI - duplicate employee record 593 1
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 167 4
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 192 2
- Depreciation of Revalued Building 62 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 809
- Pensions Regulator 459
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 420
- Sanzar 323
- How do you do it 313
- Digital marketing focus group 304
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 278
- new investor structure 187
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 179
- Fit for purpose 178