ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- Would this fall into IR35 48 2
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 851 8
- How much did you pay for your website 37 1
- Company Accounts - Limited company 337 3
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,561 27
- Charging for book-keeping on a 'per transaction' basis 507 8
- Who can I refer leads to? 1,195 16
- Computers & Network Depreciation 137 3
- Capital Allowances and Hire Purchase 170 3
- Awkward IP 327 3
- Let Property Campaign 239 4
- DTL adjustement in P &L 172 4
- R & D 182 2
- Bookkeeping Package 538 7
- practice planning 524 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,183 29
- Expenses management strategy 1,001 12
- Employment status 404 8
- Benefits in kind: employees who benefit from client entertainment and alcohol consumed on-premises 219 3
- sub contractors payments in C tax return 174 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 576
- CTA study material 560
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 335
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 255
- Employment related securities question 202
- CCJ and Shareholder/ Director ramifications 176
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 176
- ATED Penalties 173
- AIM Stocks and IHT 157
- Foreign Premium Distributions 131