ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- When to include value of import in Box 7 56 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 157 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 292 7
- Capital gain? 64 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,240 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 258 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 345 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 411 8
- vat help for catering concession 272 10
- IHT dilemma 1,152 17
- Tax return software for remote working 228 3
- CGT 329 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 313 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 106 2
- Compliance check 504 13
- sole trader accountant 779 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 396 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 602 21
- More AE! 489 11
- How to classify an asset 154 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,078
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 776
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 460
- Digita Hosted Software 278
- Call Centre Data Costs 246
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 222
- Credit where credit's due....... 212
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 203
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 184
- Director phone costs 145