ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 129 2
- Invoicing for monthly clients 92 1
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 191 4
- Anyone using PracticePA? 271 5
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 651 26
- Tax - Paying Yearly 298 11
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 202 3
- New company uses old Bank Account 238 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 471 5
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 342 8
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 196 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 191 1
- charities 229 3
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 286 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 138 1
- converting garage to use as office 334 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 666 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 138 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,213 11
- Strike off 454 9
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 381
- Any thoughts on Capium? 343
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 296
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 268
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 232
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 177
- French ConnectionUK 169
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 165
- APN's 160