ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 113 3
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 156 4
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 123 2
- Financial statements accounting policies 165 4
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 312 14
- Accountants website 115 1
- Employed or self employed 72 1
- Relationship between amortisation and distributable profits 170 9
- Design your ideal tax department 848 19
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 248 6
- Scams are not always obvious 1,708 30
- Deemed Employment Payment 391 2
- Little PPR calc question 205 4
- Restructuring company and Form 42 173 7
- Overpayment notice 126 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 230 9
- Cells from many sheets 188 3
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 184 8
- Investment company 199 6
- More RTI stuff 200 4
- New Fangled Penalties 1,058
- Moving away from CCH software 920
- Recruitment agencies 544
- QROP pension input amounts 420
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 369
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 324
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 304
- fraud 246
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 230
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 204