ESC A19 - is it worth seeking a review of my rejected appeal?
Since getting early retirement in 2005 I have received a pension from UKAEA (and their successor organisations). Whilst working I had also contributed to a superannuation 'additional voluntary contribution' fund from which I started to receive an annuity in 2008 from the Prudential*.
On 7 Nov HMRC notified me that I had personal allowances on both incomes and I owed them £5004. I appealed under ESC A19 as they knew about both incomes. I received their rejection on 24 November as they hadn't received information and 'end of year pay and tax details sent by your employer is not classified as information for the purposes of ESC A19'
I appealed against this decision based on a letter from Prudential dated April 2009 referring to a change in tax coding which confirmed that HMRC knew about the annuity.
HMRC have just rejected this appeal as the law allows them 4 years to investigate P14 / P60 information and they received no other source of information.
Prudential have confirmed they have no record of sending a P46 but they had sent the P14 each year.
Since 2005 HMRC told me I no longer need to send them a return and I didn't inform them about the annuity by any other means.
Have I any basis for further appeal with a likelihood of success (bearing in mind delays have the potential to result in penalties and interest charges)?
* Under an agreement with HMRC whereby the annuity can be taken over the period between early retirement and reaching State Pension age.
- Do we have to register for VAT? 473 10
- Receipt bank 333 7
- Investment from Friend 163 9
- Self Assessment and P11D 119 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 337 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 624 23
- Company dividends 544 15
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 164 5
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 65 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 903 38
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,153 15
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 150 2
- TRONC scheme 103 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 705 13
- Capital Gains Relief 154 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,607 29
- Identity check problem 1,265 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 204 3
- Business Set up cost 111 1
- Aged Debtor 90 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 876
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 575
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 541
- Latest phishing scam 474
- Entrepreneurs' relief 423
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 345
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 320
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 244
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 241
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 166