Exchange rate fee in using PayPal for foreign payments
I use PayPal to pay a lot of my foreign invoices.
When I log an invoice in my accounting system I use the exchange rate as per XE. com at the invoice date to convert it into British pounds.
I then make the foreign payment through PayPal. They convert the foreign payment into British pounds using their rate.
I therefore have a difference in what I recorded the invoice for in GBP in my accounting system and what it has cost me to make that foreign payment using PayPal. At the moment I just move the difference to Forex movement on the profit and loss.
Is this the correct treatment because I know PayPal charges a 2.5% exchange conversion fee so technically not all the exchange difference is down to the exchange rate movement. Some of the movement is down to the fee PayPal charge to convert the currency.
- Questions from Liquidator 2,170 23
- Really?! 254 4
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 324 7
- Is the CT61 return dead? 105 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 791 10
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 971 14
- HMRC site still hasn't updated for January SA filings 526 8
- SSP and Contractual Sick Pay Query 354 9
- Commercial Premises Purchase using Company Profits 487 13
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 365 4
- Property letting & CAs 438 1
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 551 18
- Viewing folder contens en masse 284 7
- HMRC time to pay and bailiff letters 486 6
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 504 10
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 338 6
- No Contact From Client - When to Disengage? 401 2
- Car benefit or not? 1,647 17
- Associate Dentist SD86 much higher than deductions 161 1
- Auto Enrolment 189 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 696
- 2015 tax year end 422
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 403
- FCA regulated company in a small group 357
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 335
- Costly Accounting Software contract 280
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 246
- Directors' advances and credits 235
- DTA tie-breaker issue 233
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 213