Exchange rate fee in using PayPal for foreign payments
I use PayPal to pay a lot of my foreign invoices.
When I log an invoice in my accounting system I use the exchange rate as per XE. com at the invoice date to convert it into British pounds.
I then make the foreign payment through PayPal. They convert the foreign payment into British pounds using their rate.
I therefore have a difference in what I recorded the invoice for in GBP in my accounting system and what it has cost me to make that foreign payment using PayPal. At the moment I just move the difference to Forex movement on the profit and loss.
Is this the correct treatment because I know PayPal charges a 2.5% exchange conversion fee so technically not all the exchange difference is down to the exchange rate movement. Some of the movement is down to the fee PayPal charge to convert the currency.
- Share transfer question 332 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 272 7
- The stupidity continues 291 10
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 134 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,366 19
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 92 1
- Overlap relief 744 19
- What is IRIS World like? 342 8
- Pension contributions 354 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 114 4
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 468 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 153 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 446 9
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 253 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 201 1
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 553 10
- New Employers Helpline 153 3
- Budget 2015 - take two 217 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 209 4
- VAT Query 217 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 427
- WIP Software 291
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 224
- No payroll scheme in place 223
- Software recommendations 212
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 202
- Is there anything wrong with this? 195
- Small Part Disposal of Property 176