Exchange rate fee in using PayPal for foreign payments
I use PayPal to pay a lot of my foreign invoices.
When I log an invoice in my accounting system I use the exchange rate as per XE. com at the invoice date to convert it into British pounds.
I then make the foreign payment through PayPal. They convert the foreign payment into British pounds using their rate.
I therefore have a difference in what I recorded the invoice for in GBP in my accounting system and what it has cost me to make that foreign payment using PayPal. At the moment I just move the difference to Forex movement on the profit and loss.
Is this the correct treatment because I know PayPal charges a 2.5% exchange conversion fee so technically not all the exchange difference is down to the exchange rate movement. Some of the movement is down to the fee PayPal charge to convert the currency.
- What is your favourite font? 176 7
- RTI Mess 579 10
- directors loan 468 9
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 69 2
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 3,535 81
- When to register or not for PAYE 198 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 544 23
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 565 8
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 413 6
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 520 5
- Assets at strike off 156 3
- Business only use of company car 790 29
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 209 5
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,146 34
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,221 30
- New Company reviews please 679 16
- Voluntary Disclosure 457 8
- Gift to son by parents 255 1
- valuation of vehicles 506 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 325 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 332
- Any thoughts on Capium? 276
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 266
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 254
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 233
- auto enrolment 214
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 192
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 181
- How to account for investment in JV? 171
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 161