Exchange rate fee in using PayPal for foreign payments
I use PayPal to pay a lot of my foreign invoices.
When I log an invoice in my accounting system I use the exchange rate as per XE. com at the invoice date to convert it into British pounds.
I then make the foreign payment through PayPal. They convert the foreign payment into British pounds using their rate.
I therefore have a difference in what I recorded the invoice for in GBP in my accounting system and what it has cost me to make that foreign payment using PayPal. At the moment I just move the difference to Forex movement on the profit and loss.
Is this the correct treatment because I know PayPal charges a 2.5% exchange conversion fee so technically not all the exchange difference is down to the exchange rate movement. Some of the movement is down to the fee PayPal charge to convert the currency.
- Goods Purchased for Rental 334 10
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 643 23
- Myfirmsapp 589 13
- Valuation of business 242 4
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 97 4
- Dividend Payments 338 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 44 2
- I.d for vat registration 101 6
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 265 1
- Completing Self-Assessment for a Director of Owner Managed Business 143 3
- CIS Deductions 91 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,630 40
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 113 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 468 17
- Legal Counsel PC costs 61 1
- High Income Child Benefit 119 2
- Fees for sale 352 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,612 24
- Share premium or Directors Loan 653 28
- Taxfiler V's BTC 487 18
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,007
- International interest certificate 586
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 506
- NOVA 470
- Bonus Bonds 354
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 327
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 225
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 221
- Quickbooks 2015 145