Exchange rate fee in using PayPal for foreign payments
I use PayPal to pay a lot of my foreign invoices.
When I log an invoice in my accounting system I use the exchange rate as per XE. com at the invoice date to convert it into British pounds.
I then make the foreign payment through PayPal. They convert the foreign payment into British pounds using their rate.
I therefore have a difference in what I recorded the invoice for in GBP in my accounting system and what it has cost me to make that foreign payment using PayPal. At the moment I just move the difference to Forex movement on the profit and loss.
Is this the correct treatment because I know PayPal charges a 2.5% exchange conversion fee so technically not all the exchange difference is down to the exchange rate movement. Some of the movement is down to the fee PayPal charge to convert the currency.
- Capital Gain? 406 11
- IHT Query 63 2
- Reversing out RTI 114 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 296 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 847 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 300 8
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 271 6
- BrightPay 612 18
- Classic cars investment 241 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 226 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 322 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 345 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 272 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 270 2
- H&W company 249 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 204 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 173 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 184 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 810 32
- VAT silly question 2,416 56
- Benchmarking 496
- Possible Partnership? 439
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 414
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 413
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 359
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 214
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 211
- Clubs and Taxable Income 203
- Income tax on foreign dividends 194
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 188