Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 183 5
- Was I rude 747 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 165 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 151 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 286 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 215 1
- Top slicing relief question 224 2
- Valuation of PET on death 99 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 250 6
- Share swap 286 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 82 1
- Online filing 147 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 327 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,697 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 101 2
- Converting a barn for business use 89 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 234 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 120 2
- Joint rental income 128 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 342 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,474
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 808
- Any views 727
- International interest certificate 444
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 417
- Sale of business 387
- NOVA 280
- IRIS Open Books problem 279
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 195
- Expenses claim for non employee 185