Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- Start up allowance? 434 13
- ACCA - still making me laugh 136 1
- Old CGT loss 314 9
- New Starter Checklist 273 9
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 422 7
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 771 22
- Goodwill complications 331 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 552 21
- TaxCalc Accounts production 236 3
- HMRC Distraint 232 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 199 2
- Will I need to resign? 672 9
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 125 3
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 375 8
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 443 7
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,044 16
- How to explain this to someone 248 1
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,423 20
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 148 5
- Should Nominal Ledger be given to new accountant 651 15