Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- is my company accounts right? 712 18
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 364 6
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 64 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,480 55
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,544 21
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 98 1
- P11D Dispensation 83 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 225 2
- I have missing sales invoices 369 5
- Invoice Help 369 10
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 261 8
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 368 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 996 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,057 26
- Directors Subsistence 222 1
- (CIMA) - Qualified to Management Level (2006) 267 4
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 431 16
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 267 3
- Final year's accounts 349 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,965 27
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 555
- Cancelled 318
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 318
- Cancelled 268
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 225
- Married woman dies owning marital home 219
- Probiz 210
- What's the market like for temps? 200
- CIS Deductions 168
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 160