Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 343 6
- Tech Champion of the Year 257 6
- Xmas party 122 1
- Just because it's Friday 294 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,361 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 153 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 108 4
- Capital Allowances 158 4
- equipment rental 221 10
- Acquisition by company 117 5
- Non sequitur 543 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,502 23
- R&D on products not sold 101 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 924 13
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 198 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 646 9
- Transfer of land to family members 101 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 592 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 218 6
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 242 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,366
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 437
- Alphabet shares 241
- Agent fees to sell business 231
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 230
- Charge out rates in London 184
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 169
- which entity 151
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 141