Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,969 45
- Love is in the air 190 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,660 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 357 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 388 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 491 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 140 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 516 1
- Paying Son 636 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 340 7
- HMRC accounting 269 3
- Employers NI allowance 447 6
- Dividend taxation 266 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 176 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 182 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 162 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 448 4
- iris update 11.9.2 450 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 280 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 274
- CGT for NOn UK residents 273
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 260
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 243
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 233
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 208
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 186