Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- Hosted email exchange 154 5
- South African Government Pension 167 1
- SA302 215 3
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 141 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 215 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 279 13
- Prefer to start accepting Online Card Payments 134 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 909 25
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 223 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 129 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 261 7
- New Email Extensions 151 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,110 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 282 2
- Dental practice incorpration 132 1
- Audit rules 168 4
- Go Cardless 287 8
- business entertaining deductibility 157 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 193 2
- R & D 112 3
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 338
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 285
- Industrial & Provident Societies 279
- Mehjoo 224
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 222
- New strategic report 174
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- CIS schemes 156
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 150