Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 689 18
- B2B vat in the EU 154 4
- Coding Notice 186 6
- VAT on Hire Purchase 64 1
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 362 9
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 180 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 195 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 159 4
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 153 3
- LLP as member of LLP 109 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,760 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 466 7
- Vat 288 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,287 13
- Recharge for private use of a company car 198 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 175 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,499 18
- CT/CIS offset 154 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 204 4
- Trade name 203 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 828
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 712
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 396
- Social investment tax relief 211
- Digita Hosted Software 207
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 167
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 152
- accounting for this transaction 152