Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- AIA 26 2
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 238 6
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 501 25
- HMRC SA software error? 103 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 162 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 250 14
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 149 4
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 158 6
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 966 43
- Treatment of income for sole trader 111 2
- wave software 117 1
- Freelance software consultant 327 5
- client can't/won't pay 303 11
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,144 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 107 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 220 5
- losses carried forward 372 10
- Auto enrolment 1,626 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 225 8
- VT 364 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 780
- Copy Wanted 497
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 454
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 451
- Latest phishing scam 281
- Entrepreneurs' relief 268
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 262
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 247
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 233
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 230