Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- Payroll Operation post Trading Cessation 90 1
- Companies House 217 4
- When does my Property business start 286 5
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 891 20
- Gross Profit Percentage 283 6
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 234 10
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 156 1
- How to Value a Business 484 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 160 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 564 13
- How much did you pay for your website 507 13
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 127 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 389 7
- Company Pension Contributions 277 6
- Expenses allowable 197 3
- Let Property Campaign 394 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 148 1
- Self employment trap - pension 357 3
- Awkward IP 624 9
- ESC A19 143 2
- CTA study material 604
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 598
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 369
- Employment related securities question 227
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 200
- ATED Penalties 197
- AIM Stocks and IHT 179
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 139
- Expat pension contributions? 130
- Trust for Employee 126