Experience of PAYE late payment penalties?
Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
A company has for many years paid monthly PAYE by BACS on the same day every month that they pay the net pay for the following month. Payment goes through between 23rd & 25th rather than by 22nd.
They never realised apparently that this was late.
They had a PAYE inspection in March 2009 which went fine & the Inspector did not make any comment to indicate they were paying late & nor did he mention that shortly late payment would lead to penalties.
Last month they received a penalty notice from HMRC for 4% of the annual PAYE bill of £500K so of almost £20K.
If you calculate what late payment interest would be on around 3 days per month at, say, 5% then it would not be much over about £200.
The company appealed saying they were unaware of the new rules but HMRC has rejected the appeal saying they were sent a letter after the first month was late & they should have kept up to date via Employer Bulletins & by reading HMRC website. The company say they do not recall receiving the letter but even if they did it seems to me ludicrous to send one letter in May 2010 & then to make no further contact until out of the blue issuing a £20K penalty eighteen months later!
They are not a client of mine but I act for one of the directors & they have asked me to submit a follow up appeal to request an HMRC internal review.
I find just writing the above makes my blood boil at the sheer iniquity of it all! I can't believe that at the end of the day we won't be able to make HMRC agree there is "reasonable excuse" hopefully with just one letter but otherwise at a tribunal but I wonder if others are experiencing these penalties and if so what responses are being received to appeals?
Thank you for any comments or advice.
- Share premium or Directors Loan 776 32
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 129 2
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 392 13
- HMRC Money Laundering Visit 567 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,661 74
- Dividend Payments 480 12
- Employed clients and expenses 888 18
- More HMRC on gov.uk 666 12
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 153 3
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 197 4
- Providing registered office address to clients 155 2
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 430 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,464 47
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 482 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 149 3
- What would you do in this situation? 248 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 165 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 636 13
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 359 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 260 4
- Bonus Bonds 396
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 389
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 300
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 263
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 199
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 193
- Company Car Lease 171
- Finance Lease 161
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 135