Family owned companies
I have 3 client companies:
- Company A is owned 30% by Mr X, 25% by Mrs X, 20% each by their adult son and daughter and 5% by a non-family employee. Mr & Mrs X are the directors.
- Company B is owned 100% by the son, who is the only director. However, the company is run by Mr X and the son is barely involved.
- Company C is owned 100% by the daughter, who is the only director. However, the company is run by Mr X and the daughter is barely involved.
Companies A and B trade from the same premises. Company B sells only to Companies A & C. The majority of Company C's sales are to Company A, but there are other external customers. Company A is a massive loan creditor of Company C. There is therefore substantial commercial and financial interdependence.
- Are all or any combination of two of the companies associated for the purpose of the CT small profit rate threshold?
- Are all or any combination of two of the companies related parties for disclosure in the small company accounts under the FRSSE?
My first impression is that all the companies are associated and related because when there is substantial commercial interdependence, you attribute the shares held by family members. My doubt is that while this would give Mr X 95% control of Company A, I am not sure if this extends to attributing to him the shares held by the family members in the other two companies, giving him 100% of Companies B & C.
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 356 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,419 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 167 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 438 12
- Share premium or Directors Loan 736 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 115 3
- What would you do in this situation? 158 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 140 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 610 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 641 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 93 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 344 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 247 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 398 6
- NOVA 557 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 277 10
- Regional Development Grant 126 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,432 21
- Company car without a salary 239 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 378
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 290
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 259
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 180
- Finance Lease 157
- Company Car Lease 156
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132