Family owned companies
I have 3 client companies:
- Company A is owned 30% by Mr X, 25% by Mrs X, 20% each by their adult son and daughter and 5% by a non-family employee. Mr & Mrs X are the directors.
- Company B is owned 100% by the son, who is the only director. However, the company is run by Mr X and the son is barely involved.
- Company C is owned 100% by the daughter, who is the only director. However, the company is run by Mr X and the daughter is barely involved.
Companies A and B trade from the same premises. Company B sells only to Companies A & C. The majority of Company C's sales are to Company A, but there are other external customers. Company A is a massive loan creditor of Company C. There is therefore substantial commercial and financial interdependence.
- Are all or any combination of two of the companies associated for the purpose of the CT small profit rate threshold?
- Are all or any combination of two of the companies related parties for disclosure in the small company accounts under the FRSSE?
My first impression is that all the companies are associated and related because when there is substantial commercial interdependence, you attribute the shares held by family members. My doubt is that while this would give Mr X 95% control of Company A, I am not sure if this extends to attributing to him the shares held by the family members in the other two companies, giving him 100% of Companies B & C.
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,003 18
- Creative Auto Enrolment 573 8
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,714 38
- Tax Fines - HMRC 874 15
- Can an owner hold company money 319 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 315 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 236 6
- Class 2 NIC 280 5
- Probate services 428 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 394 7
- Vat payable on van 173 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,835 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 246 7
- Community Faux Pas 933 26
- Cash gift from India 152 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,314 40
- Windows10 208 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 627 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 481 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 248 2
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 838
- Benchmark accounting software 692
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 322
- What are HMRC implying? 307
- VAT 258
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 220
- Is the APN valid 196