Family owned companies
I have 3 client companies:
- Company A is owned 30% by Mr X, 25% by Mrs X, 20% each by their adult son and daughter and 5% by a non-family employee. Mr & Mrs X are the directors.
- Company B is owned 100% by the son, who is the only director. However, the company is run by Mr X and the son is barely involved.
- Company C is owned 100% by the daughter, who is the only director. However, the company is run by Mr X and the daughter is barely involved.
Companies A and B trade from the same premises. Company B sells only to Companies A & C. The majority of Company C's sales are to Company A, but there are other external customers. Company A is a massive loan creditor of Company C. There is therefore substantial commercial and financial interdependence.
- Are all or any combination of two of the companies associated for the purpose of the CT small profit rate threshold?
- Are all or any combination of two of the companies related parties for disclosure in the small company accounts under the FRSSE?
My first impression is that all the companies are associated and related because when there is substantial commercial interdependence, you attribute the shares held by family members. My doubt is that while this would give Mr X 95% control of Company A, I am not sure if this extends to attributing to him the shares held by the family members in the other two companies, giving him 100% of Companies B & C.
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,693 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 83 1
- Accounts Software 146 5
- HMRC Agents Line 205 4
- calculation DTR restriction 86 1
- Company Director In Prison 456 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 78 1
- AWeb - download file 174 3
- Charity work 242 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 259 6
- Director Drawings 176 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 269 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 233 7
- Collection or business assets 115 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 273 8
- Tax position re this lease? 372 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 731 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 108 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,675 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 93 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 679
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 521
- Cancelled 428
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 203