Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- what time is it ? 212 3
- VAT on disbursement 153 2
- Business Christmas Greetings 973 18
- tax credits 189 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,019 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 78 1
- LLP - Member leaving 180 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 728 21
- Year end 227 3
- Foreign income for self employed 164 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 292 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 302 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,125 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 241 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 606 21
- How would you account for warranty? 176 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 412 22
- Sweet Tooth 225 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 200 2
- trading or dormant 134 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 897
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 521
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 333
- How to format a stock book 315
- Tax efficient holding company structure 252
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 245
- Investment property company accounts template 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 195
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 175
- Charge out rates in London? 153