Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Transactions with directors 427 3
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 354 11
- HMRC Post 507 6
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 276 9
- Non VAT invoices 190 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 221 2
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 189 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,387 32
- Fees 233 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 252 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 219 2
- Form 17 Download 147 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 556 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 379 4
- HMRC Information notice 989 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 279 3
- Accountant Specialization. 389 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,774 42
- Sage Line 50 176 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 200 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 761
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 365
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 207
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178