Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Coming in from the cold 303 3
- Splitting the tax year 151 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 182 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 163 4
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 147 2
- Submitting tax return 108 1
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 203 3
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 255 8
- Director's tax return 329 7
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 110 1
- Sage Payroll 313 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 207 6
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,068 33
- vat return 262 3
- Flat rate vat 153 1
- Value pricing 732 26
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 164 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 241 4
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 293 4
- Reregister for VAT 164 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 805
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 557
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 426
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 304
- Free Tax Legislation? 274
- Director Loan account operation 255
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 252
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 245
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 169