Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 36 1
- inflation rate year on year 48 2
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,660 55
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 75 2
- Yorkshire Day 495 33
- Deleted question? 610 15
- SMP reclaimable by employer 247 6
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 255 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 325 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 138 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 337 15
- E-Magazines and pdfs 139 3
- Late annual return 194 2
- Flat rate VAT 359 8
- corporation tax 475 5
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,131 29
- Dividend dates 685 13
- Company Limited Liability vs Public Liability Insruance 131 2
- Companies House change of shareholding 587 16
- Agent help line - long queues? 196 3
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 569
- Cancelled 454
- Cancelled 379
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 370
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Probiz 349
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 252
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 230
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 222
- More spam 180