Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 186 7
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 883 19
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 458 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 153 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 176 7
- tagging in Iris accounts production for non standard item 117 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 95 1
- Auto-Enrolment 2,858 155
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 104 1
- 'Find an accountant' 206 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 104 1
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 86 1
- Depreciation on property improvements 107 1
- Construction Industry Funding 112 5
- CGT advice on amicable divorce settlement 102 1
- How important are Journals? 330 9
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 722 15
- Company trading loss relief 271 4
- National Insurance 602 1
- Social Worker limited Co 130 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 492
- Skandia using wrong address 434
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 387
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 236
- Employee rewards 228
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 207
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 180
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 180