Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Vat treatment of charity business income 95 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 853 18
- Company Accounts 107 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,181 343
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 175 6
- Donations (to a school!) 425 11
- Vat on Royalites 80 1
- 100% Xero practice 2,111 34
- Umbrella Company 138 2
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 426 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 76 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 152 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 427 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 165 3
- property rental income split 254 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 468 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 132 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 97 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,269 5
- Use of home for storage 329 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,188
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 405
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 315
- National Insurance 310
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 261
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 235
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 234
- Non Resident 221
- Franchise income and costs 204
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 156