Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Bulk Invoicing 154 6
- directors control and tax problems 50 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 164 5
- What would you do in this situation? 489 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 126 3
- Help Required 279 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 223 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 392 14
- What's in a name ? 233 4
- ATED Penalties 260 1
- late second payment on account 153 2
- US royalties 79 2
- Project being run jointly 125 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 177 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 173 3
- Sole trader mix up 291 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 735 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 893 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 210 4
- Filing company accounts 136 1
- CTA study material 697
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 422
- Employment related securities question 264
- AIM Stocks and IHT 244
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 197
- Trust for Employee 184
- Expat pension contributions? 181
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 158
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 152
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 117