Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Where has Portia gone? 5,059 110
- Help 177 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 96 2
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 229 9
- Overlap profit 296 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 320 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,066 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 137 1
- Payments on account 188 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 86 1
- What do your junior staff do? 526 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 657 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 417 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 540 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 132 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,944 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 356 3
- On the high seas 116 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 149 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 861 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 853
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 344
- How do you do it 338
- Digital marketing focus group 313
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181