Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 264 5
- Share premium or Directors Loan 777 32
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 129 2
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 392 13
- HMRC Money Laundering Visit 567 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,664 74
- Dividend Payments 481 12
- Employed clients and expenses 890 18
- More HMRC on gov.uk 666 12
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 155 3
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 197 4
- Providing registered office address to clients 156 2
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 431 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,464 47
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 482 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 149 3
- What would you do in this situation? 249 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 166 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 636 13
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 359 14
- Bonus Bonds 396
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 389
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 300
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 263
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 199
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 193
- Company Car Lease 171
- Finance Lease 161
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 135