Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Client died family to pay redundancy 78 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 388 13
- Builder using cash labour 283 3
- Notes to statutory accounts 23 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 695 18
- Holding companies 26 1
- Accomodation charge for Publican 105 2
- VAT & Landlords 40 1
- VAT Registration 324 16
- Singaporean Tax Adviser 38 1
- Valuation of PET on death 205 6
- Auto enrolment 855 10
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 246 4
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 405 17
- Vat on second hand goods 167 2
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 127 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 629 17
- another ir35!!!! 842 3
- Entrepreneur's relief and LLPs 165 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 1,981 39
- Skandia using wrong address 1,511
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 836
- International interest certificate 454
- NOVA 310
- Bonus Bonds 193
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 190
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 187
- Management expenses for investment company 184
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 164