Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- TaxCalc Accounts production 129 2
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 373 8
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 215 3
- Running two businesses from the same premises 409 5
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 103 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,365 42
- How much of your work is admin? 629 5
- Nominal Ledger 392 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 586 20
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 191 2
- Old CGT loss 216 3
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 201 3
- Paper tax return 167 4
- Start up allowance? 387 12
- Will I need to resign? 223 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 254 3
- AIA or IFA 460 7
- Surely not? 470 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 649 9
- Late Registration for VAT 371 11