Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 182 3
- Companies House incorporation service 206 8
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,484 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 541 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 256 2
- How to opt out? 384 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 72 1
- utr 147 4
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 141 3
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 303 7
- P9D or P11D 724 7
- CT return error message 382 10
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,707 43
- Group subcontracting - accounts not consolidated 106 2
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 101 1
- Should the Report of the Director be included in the interim financial statements of a small company 97 1
- Audit rules 376 8
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 297 7
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 837 11
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 193 2
- Xtuple 541
- Qtac payroll for bureau 369
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 313
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 277
- CIS schemes 213
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 180
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 172
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 172