Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 102 3
- Check my logic on this please? 196 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 45 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 213 6
- Share swap 391 13
- Late P45 181 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 500 13
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 162 3
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 421 13
- CIC accounts submission 79 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 583 20
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 429 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 263 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,497 44
- What does it mean?? 472 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,105 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 237 4
- VAT & Landlords 217 6
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 111 2
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 171 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,563
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 863
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 247
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 236
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 205
- Help with tax codes on Sage 161