Fee for closing down company
My limited company clients pay my fees by standing order, three months in arrears.
One client (IT contractor who is sole director) wishes to close his limited company. The company can pay its debts, so it will be a simple closure. I have not acted for a company closure before, so although I am well aware of the process I must follow, I am less certain of the fees that should be charged.
The client's year end is 31st March, and they will pay a final instalment of fees for the 2011-12 tax year on 30th June, which is around the date that the company will cease trading. No fees have yet been paid for the 2012-13 tax year.
I am minded to charge the client half a year's fees to close down the company, given that I will still need to prepare 2012-13 company accounts, corporation tax return, P35, VAT return, and of course carry out all of the correspondence with HMRC, Companies House etc, while of course bearing in mind that all of these processes will be quicker than usual because only one third of a year's transactions are included.
Included in the annual fee is the preparation of the director's self assessment tax return, and I am not sure whether it would be appropriate to include this work in the final fee given that the tax return will be prepared several months after the company has closed. I would prefer not to but again, am unsure of the scope of work that is usually included in a company closure.
I would be interested to hear from more experienced practitioners whether they would agree with this approach or whether my proposed fees are too high or too low.
Many thanks in advance.
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 81 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,266 19
- Scanners 173 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 88 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 163 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 234 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 404 9
- Payment plans for clients 125 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 231 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 246 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 392 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 449 9
- P60 or payslips? 98 1
- Property income in different capacities 109 1
- IHT dilemma 1,384 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 194 1
- IT advisory questions? 180 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 798 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 150 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 531 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,161
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 799
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 489
- Digita Hosted Software 321
- Credit where credit's due....... 275
- Director phone costs 237
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 227
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 204
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 158
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 140