FHL and spousal transfers
Victoria and David owned a FHL property for many years, and continue to let it on this basis. The property stands at a gain and they have a chance to sell it, but for tax planning reasons they want to transfer the property in to one spouse's name prior to the sale. Assuming the sale takes place within three years of the business activity ceasing, does ER apply in full on the sale by the single spouse?
s.169I TCGA1992 contains the legislation surrounding this, and subsection (2)(a) and/or (b) appears to qualify the transfer from one spouse to the other in that the initial transfer is covered by the usual inter-spouse rules, and at the point of the sale, the remaining spouse still is disposing of their "interest" - the level or size of their interest doesn't need to be quantified for the legislation to be applied.
However the real question appears to be whether they can be both treated as having owned the business up to the sale of the property - s.169I(3) and (4) both state that it is a material disposal if "the business is owned by the individual" for the relevant time periods.
So, does the legislation take on a literal meaning - has the business been owned by the spouse selling the property for one year leading up to cessation of activity and within three years of this date, or did they only own 50% of the property for this amount of time, with the other 50% transferred from their spouse being own for only a matter of months?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The names have been changed (David is probably more upset not to be in the Olympics) and this isn't an exam question!
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 29 1
- PITA ex-client 57 5
- Audit 378 12
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 812 22
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 51 2
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 219 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 317 8
- Scottish Independance 858 24
- Funding Circle experience 46 1
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 687 20
- Awkward IP 1,479 16
- New supplier 82 2
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 49 2
- Buying a horse?? 289 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 205 4
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,121 12
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 971 11
- What's in a name ? 1,145 9
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 222 2
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 507 7
- CTA study material 792
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 489
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 441
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 274
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 271
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 212
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154