FHL and spousal transfers
Victoria and David owned a FHL property for many years, and continue to let it on this basis. The property stands at a gain and they have a chance to sell it, but for tax planning reasons they want to transfer the property in to one spouse's name prior to the sale. Assuming the sale takes place within three years of the business activity ceasing, does ER apply in full on the sale by the single spouse?
s.169I TCGA1992 contains the legislation surrounding this, and subsection (2)(a) and/or (b) appears to qualify the transfer from one spouse to the other in that the initial transfer is covered by the usual inter-spouse rules, and at the point of the sale, the remaining spouse still is disposing of their "interest" - the level or size of their interest doesn't need to be quantified for the legislation to be applied.
However the real question appears to be whether they can be both treated as having owned the business up to the sale of the property - s.169I(3) and (4) both state that it is a material disposal if "the business is owned by the individual" for the relevant time periods.
So, does the legislation take on a literal meaning - has the business been owned by the spouse selling the property for one year leading up to cessation of activity and within three years of this date, or did they only own 50% of the property for this amount of time, with the other 50% transferred from their spouse being own for only a matter of months?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The names have been changed (David is probably more upset not to be in the Olympics) and this isn't an exam question!
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 47 1
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 24 2
- Is it possible and what should be done? 126 1
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 180 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 387 11
- Unhappy client over fees 1,350 29
- do i need an online accounting software 544 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 98 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 614 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 242 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 998 16
- Can you claim part of the AIA and WDAs on the remainder 159 2
- Bank account security - Kashflow 280 4
- Double tax relief -UK tax paid in error 117 2
- Partnership Share Ratio Quandary 460 12
- Multi user accounting software 108 1
- ACCA student with study package 408 8
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 404 3
- Flat rate VAT and Work in progress 297 5
- Incorporating doctors 424 1
- NHS finance professionals 791
- Foreign Pension Contribution 473
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 465
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 405
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 371
- IFA income recognition & reporting 280
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 261
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 256
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 208
- FRM claim for travel to training course 199