FHL and spousal transfers
Victoria and David owned a FHL property for many years, and continue to let it on this basis. The property stands at a gain and they have a chance to sell it, but for tax planning reasons they want to transfer the property in to one spouse's name prior to the sale. Assuming the sale takes place within three years of the business activity ceasing, does ER apply in full on the sale by the single spouse?
s.169I TCGA1992 contains the legislation surrounding this, and subsection (2)(a) and/or (b) appears to qualify the transfer from one spouse to the other in that the initial transfer is covered by the usual inter-spouse rules, and at the point of the sale, the remaining spouse still is disposing of their "interest" - the level or size of their interest doesn't need to be quantified for the legislation to be applied.
However the real question appears to be whether they can be both treated as having owned the business up to the sale of the property - s.169I(3) and (4) both state that it is a material disposal if "the business is owned by the individual" for the relevant time periods.
So, does the legislation take on a literal meaning - has the business been owned by the spouse selling the property for one year leading up to cessation of activity and within three years of this date, or did they only own 50% of the property for this amount of time, with the other 50% transferred from their spouse being own for only a matter of months?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The names have been changed (David is probably more upset not to be in the Olympics) and this isn't an exam question!
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,616 60
- inheritance tax 534 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 131 5
- HMRC Agents Line 20 1
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 30 1
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 173 10
- pension paid by company? 251 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 575 21
- Charity work 157 8
- SA Agent's Priority Line 107 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 768 24
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 245 3
- Company Director In Prison 297 7
- MAAT vs ACCA 386 7
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,102 28
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 142 5
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 654 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 142 5
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 288 3
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 678 21
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 668
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 486
- Cancelled 419
- Cancelled 359
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Probiz 332
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 319
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 240
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 192