FHL and spousal transfers
Victoria and David owned a FHL property for many years, and continue to let it on this basis. The property stands at a gain and they have a chance to sell it, but for tax planning reasons they want to transfer the property in to one spouse's name prior to the sale. Assuming the sale takes place within three years of the business activity ceasing, does ER apply in full on the sale by the single spouse?
s.169I TCGA1992 contains the legislation surrounding this, and subsection (2)(a) and/or (b) appears to qualify the transfer from one spouse to the other in that the initial transfer is covered by the usual inter-spouse rules, and at the point of the sale, the remaining spouse still is disposing of their "interest" - the level or size of their interest doesn't need to be quantified for the legislation to be applied.
However the real question appears to be whether they can be both treated as having owned the business up to the sale of the property - s.169I(3) and (4) both state that it is a material disposal if "the business is owned by the individual" for the relevant time periods.
So, does the legislation take on a literal meaning - has the business been owned by the spouse selling the property for one year leading up to cessation of activity and within three years of this date, or did they only own 50% of the property for this amount of time, with the other 50% transferred from their spouse being own for only a matter of months?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The names have been changed (David is probably more upset not to be in the Olympics) and this isn't an exam question!
- Goods Purchased for Rental 344 12
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 649 23
- Myfirmsapp 594 13
- Valuation of business 243 4
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 100 4
- Dividend Payments 341 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 50 2
- I.d for vat registration 104 6
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 267 1
- Completing Self-Assessment for a Director of Owner Managed Business 146 3
- CIS Deductions 94 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,633 40
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 116 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 468 17
- Legal Counsel PC costs 65 1
- High Income Child Benefit 123 2
- Fees for sale 354 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,613 24
- Share premium or Directors Loan 653 28
- Taxfiler V's BTC 490 18
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,007
- International interest certificate 586
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 506
- NOVA 470
- Bonus Bonds 354
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 327
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 225
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 221
- Quickbooks 2015 145