FHL and spousal transfers
Victoria and David owned a FHL property for many years, and continue to let it on this basis. The property stands at a gain and they have a chance to sell it, but for tax planning reasons they want to transfer the property in to one spouse's name prior to the sale. Assuming the sale takes place within three years of the business activity ceasing, does ER apply in full on the sale by the single spouse?
s.169I TCGA1992 contains the legislation surrounding this, and subsection (2)(a) and/or (b) appears to qualify the transfer from one spouse to the other in that the initial transfer is covered by the usual inter-spouse rules, and at the point of the sale, the remaining spouse still is disposing of their "interest" - the level or size of their interest doesn't need to be quantified for the legislation to be applied.
However the real question appears to be whether they can be both treated as having owned the business up to the sale of the property - s.169I(3) and (4) both state that it is a material disposal if "the business is owned by the individual" for the relevant time periods.
So, does the legislation take on a literal meaning - has the business been owned by the spouse selling the property for one year leading up to cessation of activity and within three years of this date, or did they only own 50% of the property for this amount of time, with the other 50% transferred from their spouse being own for only a matter of months?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The names have been changed (David is probably more upset not to be in the Olympics) and this isn't an exam question!
- Employers NI allowance 264 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 592 7
- Paying Son 328 14
- Which time limits apply? 362 4
- HMRC Discovery powers 167 2
- Client Paperwork Retention? 327 10
- Exclusion from VAT Registration 127 4
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 271 3
- Just checking re PSA 235 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 316 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,459 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,506 19
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 330 2
- Friday Question 569 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 424 8
- Independent Examination work programme 150 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 546 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 300 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 225 7
- What is the best way to buy commercial property these days 328 5
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 491
- DTA tie-breaker issue 293
- CGT for NOn UK residents 263
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 253
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 244
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 231
- Apprenticeship Levy 228
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 220
- Capital Gains personal representatives 207
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 191