FHL and spousal transfers
Victoria and David owned a FHL property for many years, and continue to let it on this basis. The property stands at a gain and they have a chance to sell it, but for tax planning reasons they want to transfer the property in to one spouse's name prior to the sale. Assuming the sale takes place within three years of the business activity ceasing, does ER apply in full on the sale by the single spouse?
s.169I TCGA1992 contains the legislation surrounding this, and subsection (2)(a) and/or (b) appears to qualify the transfer from one spouse to the other in that the initial transfer is covered by the usual inter-spouse rules, and at the point of the sale, the remaining spouse still is disposing of their "interest" - the level or size of their interest doesn't need to be quantified for the legislation to be applied.
However the real question appears to be whether they can be both treated as having owned the business up to the sale of the property - s.169I(3) and (4) both state that it is a material disposal if "the business is owned by the individual" for the relevant time periods.
So, does the legislation take on a literal meaning - has the business been owned by the spouse selling the property for one year leading up to cessation of activity and within three years of this date, or did they only own 50% of the property for this amount of time, with the other 50% transferred from their spouse being own for only a matter of months?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The names have been changed (David is probably more upset not to be in the Olympics) and this isn't an exam question!
- Bank account frozen 286 6
- Intercompany - Sage 50 Accounts 116 2
- Writing Website Content 736 24
- Can employer reduce my ACCA tuition fees? 208 2
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 237 1
- Foreign dividends via UK portfolio 136 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 250 4
- Concurrent users 828 11
- change director details just before striking-off 199 2
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 255 4
- Where to enter asset disposal proceeds on CT600 132 1
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 242 7
- Set-off interest received against interest paid? 167 1
- VAT and selling on Amazon 166 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 909 26
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 160 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 208 4
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 264 2
- Badges of trade 381 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 349 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 454
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 425
- Electric Car 359
- S222 Charge 288
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 268
- IP trans to holding company 224
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 199
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 171
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 170
- Tax on donations for the beneficiary 163