FHL and spousal transfers
Victoria and David owned a FHL property for many years, and continue to let it on this basis. The property stands at a gain and they have a chance to sell it, but for tax planning reasons they want to transfer the property in to one spouse's name prior to the sale. Assuming the sale takes place within three years of the business activity ceasing, does ER apply in full on the sale by the single spouse?
s.169I TCGA1992 contains the legislation surrounding this, and subsection (2)(a) and/or (b) appears to qualify the transfer from one spouse to the other in that the initial transfer is covered by the usual inter-spouse rules, and at the point of the sale, the remaining spouse still is disposing of their "interest" - the level or size of their interest doesn't need to be quantified for the legislation to be applied.
However the real question appears to be whether they can be both treated as having owned the business up to the sale of the property - s.169I(3) and (4) both state that it is a material disposal if "the business is owned by the individual" for the relevant time periods.
So, does the legislation take on a literal meaning - has the business been owned by the spouse selling the property for one year leading up to cessation of activity and within three years of this date, or did they only own 50% of the property for this amount of time, with the other 50% transferred from their spouse being own for only a matter of months?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The names have been changed (David is probably more upset not to be in the Olympics) and this isn't an exam question!
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,459 5
- How much does the company pay 62 2
- Help with CGT please 81 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 109 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 308 6
- Benefit in Kind 290 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 319 17
- Will I need to resign? 933 11
- Cocaine anyone? 663 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 255 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 151 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 196 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 180 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 845 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 547 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 717 13
- Personal pension 451 9
- Business rates consultancy 273 4
- Wrong tax code 186 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 112 2
- Hive up 515
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 476
- corporate hierarchy 455
- Advice - 299
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 245
- WWOOFers 240
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 198
- The booking.com con 182
- Cocaine anyone? 168