FHL and spousal transfers
Victoria and David owned a FHL property for many years, and continue to let it on this basis. The property stands at a gain and they have a chance to sell it, but for tax planning reasons they want to transfer the property in to one spouse's name prior to the sale. Assuming the sale takes place within three years of the business activity ceasing, does ER apply in full on the sale by the single spouse?
s.169I TCGA1992 contains the legislation surrounding this, and subsection (2)(a) and/or (b) appears to qualify the transfer from one spouse to the other in that the initial transfer is covered by the usual inter-spouse rules, and at the point of the sale, the remaining spouse still is disposing of their "interest" - the level or size of their interest doesn't need to be quantified for the legislation to be applied.
However the real question appears to be whether they can be both treated as having owned the business up to the sale of the property - s.169I(3) and (4) both state that it is a material disposal if "the business is owned by the individual" for the relevant time periods.
So, does the legislation take on a literal meaning - has the business been owned by the spouse selling the property for one year leading up to cessation of activity and within three years of this date, or did they only own 50% of the property for this amount of time, with the other 50% transferred from their spouse being own for only a matter of months?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The names have been changed (David is probably more upset not to be in the Olympics) and this isn't an exam question!
- Community awards 2014 - first category 185 7
- How a company director can keep paying £833 61 3
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 472 14
- Employee steeling client data 110 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,356 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 189 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 131 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 91 1
- CT600 274 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 211 4
- signature required 913 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 188 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 335 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 330 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 146 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 89 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 152 2
- Payment plans for clients 277 3
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 94 1
- Lease 148 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,307
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 548
- Credit where credit's due....... 339
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 261
- TheTax Donut 232
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 188
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 180
- Director's business mileage 151
- Sole trader CPD 145