FHL and spousal transfers
Victoria and David owned a FHL property for many years, and continue to let it on this basis. The property stands at a gain and they have a chance to sell it, but for tax planning reasons they want to transfer the property in to one spouse's name prior to the sale. Assuming the sale takes place within three years of the business activity ceasing, does ER apply in full on the sale by the single spouse?
s.169I TCGA1992 contains the legislation surrounding this, and subsection (2)(a) and/or (b) appears to qualify the transfer from one spouse to the other in that the initial transfer is covered by the usual inter-spouse rules, and at the point of the sale, the remaining spouse still is disposing of their "interest" - the level or size of their interest doesn't need to be quantified for the legislation to be applied.
However the real question appears to be whether they can be both treated as having owned the business up to the sale of the property - s.169I(3) and (4) both state that it is a material disposal if "the business is owned by the individual" for the relevant time periods.
So, does the legislation take on a literal meaning - has the business been owned by the spouse selling the property for one year leading up to cessation of activity and within three years of this date, or did they only own 50% of the property for this amount of time, with the other 50% transferred from their spouse being own for only a matter of months?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? The names have been changed (David is probably more upset not to be in the Olympics) and this isn't an exam question!
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 163 2
- Accommodation allowance - emergency workers 74 1
- RTI 264 7
- HMRC - Generic Notification Notice 28 1
- Compensation payment and child benefit 35 1
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 177 5
- Am i Liable? 586 15
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 158 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 423 4
- RTI Easement Until 2016 89 2
- Altered PAYE cheque 375 8
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 361 9
- Write off of former director's loan 692 10
- Added years superannuation 101 3
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 45 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 795 19
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 335 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,073 64
- Sole trader - bank statements 252 13
- Childcare vouchers 90 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,254
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 617
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 322
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 229
- Alphabet shares 206
- Agent fees to sell business 197
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 196
- Office recharges 157
- Tax position on lease extension 146