FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 89 2
- Working from home - time apportionment 286 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 202 2
- cross border vat 107 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,889 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 756 17
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 257 12
- Can't read my handwriting 625 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,646 74
- Employing a carer 117 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 528 16
- PRR 441 14
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 213 13
- Corp Tax Refund 168 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 387 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 275 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 79 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 228 1
- Audit partner? 272 6
- Losses on FHL Property 116 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,371
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 516
- National Insurance 408
- Non Resident 317
- Hands on experience of Digita 244
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 220
- Employer's Helpline 186
- CIS paid under reg 9 181
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 150
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 145