FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- What sectors to target? 346 15
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 854 39
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 164 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 32 1
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,239 39
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 443 16
- Companies House late filing penalties 3,135 105
- Refusing to complete a tax return 471 11
- Repayment of maternity pay 106 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 149 9
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 133 10
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 834 16
- Self assesment online 551 7
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 243 6
- Practice management 246 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 459 6
- More NI or same 145 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 263 4
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 174 1
- Year end 130 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 911
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 627
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 587
- Latest phishing scam 555
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 288
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 211
- Capital allowances in first basis period 198
- Scratch Head 192
- Sabbatical payments 184