FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 117 2
- What would you do in this situation? 634 14
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,052 31
- Dress code 441 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 497 16
- Project being run jointly 201 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 306 4
- Companies House 600 9
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 134 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 353 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 731 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,441 25
- Help Required 411 10
- directors control and tax problems 291 5
- Fastest Software 806 13
- What's in a name ? 381 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 300 4
- Bulk Invoicing 191 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 183 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 262 2
- CTA study material 713
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 435
- Employment related securities question 274
- AIM Stocks and IHT 251
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 232
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 219
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 211
- Expat pension contributions? 199
- Trust for Employee 195
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 170