FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- Budget 2015 predictions 174 5
- Husband Wife let property 129 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 435 8
- Goodie bag 93 1
- Career in Practice 109 2
- Relevant life plan 337 8
- Limited Company expenses 367 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 190 6
- Telemarketing 153 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 139 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 126 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 175 3
- how to value rental space 95 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 324 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 66 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 457 5
- Output tax for retailer 260 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 448 11
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,931 32
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 95 1
- Possible Partnership? 597
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 499
- New Fangled Penalties 405
- Clubs and Taxable Income 329
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 296
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 249
- Loans to other companies 242
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 210
- Outsource Data Entry 204
- Moving away from CCH software 198