FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 109 2
- how do i get UTR 79 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 57 2
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 55 1
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 207 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 282 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 79 1
- Your comments please 283 6
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 302 5
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 169 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 96 2
- EIS 188 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 82 2
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 93 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 103 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 104 1
- CGT history of shares 150 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 702 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 195 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 129 2
- Moving away from CCH software 962
- QROP pension input amounts 448
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 392
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 374
- fraud 297
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 271
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 241
- Construction CIS LLP Company 224
- EPS and CIS deductions 218
- Out of time or not? 202