FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 67 2
- Sole Trader business 145 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 144 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 137 1
- The Cotter Case 158 1
- Giving a seminar 674 36
- Tax position on lease extension 172 1
- Boffin of the Year 286 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 216 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 233 4
- Sage Depreciation 72 1
- Non sequitur 242 2
- Am i Liable? 870 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 167 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 154 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 69 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 472 10
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 107 1
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 116 2
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 927 15
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,291
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 637
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 420
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 330
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 260
- Alphabet shares 218
- Agent fees to sell business 211
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 205
- Office recharges 168
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 145