FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 738 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,148 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 699 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 58 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 253 8
- recompense capital input 190 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 103 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 226 2
- CT losses carry back 93 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 161 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 766 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 418 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,276 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 142 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 230 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 992 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 214 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 258 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 798
- RTI - duplicate employee record 564
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 335
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 184