FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- How long should one give Aweb … 783 12
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,246 51
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 204 10
- How to claim CIS refund for limited company that 189 4
- Moneysoft - technical query 266 7
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 121 3
- VAT Reverse Charge Accounting 38 2
- System selection 40 1
- New Client - incorrect accounts filed 73 2
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,219 20
- Non Resident Landlord Tax 93 2
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 165 4
- Manufacturing A/c - Acc. depn 58 2
- VAT REGISTATIONS 150 3
- New Company Director PAYE Question 818 22
- Class 4 Losses 157 3
- Taking drawings in a partnership 81 1
- Issue shares to shareholders 78 3
- Education - Pre made assembly! 116 1
- Remove Extinguished Charge 125 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 345
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 283
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 255
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 254
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 243
- Electric Car 199
- S222 Charge 191
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 178
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 176
- Freelance Accounting link 165