FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- Free accounts system for small business? 377 7
- VAT on converting Commercial property to residential 60 3
- It gets worse ! 353 2
- PCTR for Audit Qualification 91 1
- Building premises bought on 99 year lease 78 1
- Client refusing to change basis period 193 6
- Companies House Authentication code 207 9
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,983 66
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 177 2
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 465 8
- Payroll Software Recommendations 310 10
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 345 15
- saturday staff 410 4
- Sports Club - Option to tax 55 1
- Highlighting a line on cell click 64 4
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,451 42
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 528 12
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 651 15
- Rights of Alphabet shares 353 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 269 3
- Xtuple 587
- Qtac payroll for bureau 412
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 357
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 230
- Tax on damages received 211
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 174
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 166
- PTP Software 158
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 142
- Software for Belgium Company 142