FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- State pension 247 2
- 27,000 Really? 950 28
- Accountancy Career 45 1
- CIC Company 645 13
- pension paid by company? 35 1
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,802 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,238 66
- Deduction from Salary 626 15
- inheritance tax 359 11
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 415 5
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 262 7
- Group Audit Thresholds 348 10
- One off meeting new client 1,675 16
- Legal title not in the company name 752 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 277 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 530 4
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 191 3
- NALS Accountants Report 348 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,235 44
- Farm barn lettings 230 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 392
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 306
- Probiz 300
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 277
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 256
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221
- How not to compose an email 216