FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- signature required 893 33
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 95 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 79 1
- VAT Office Grimsby 184 3
- Community awards 2014 - first category 148 5
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 442 12
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 142 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 304 3
- Payment plans for clients 266 3
- CT600 254 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 315 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 84 1
- Lease 136 4
- Free invoicing software 501 4
- Digita Hosted Software 396 4
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,325 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 184 5
- Thin Client recomendation 232 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 196 5
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 123 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,303
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 544
- Credit where credit's due....... 334
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 226
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 186
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 175
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 156
- Director's business mileage 145