FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,013 26
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,776 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 111 1
- Late Registration for VAT 171 5
- Registering a company late 234 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 274 4
- physiotherapy clinic 553 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,913 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 98 2
- Deferred Tax 139 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 89 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 416 7
- How much of your work is admin? 182 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,796 19
- Goodwill complications 156 2
- Personal pension 220 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 184 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 301 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 262 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 994 26
- TheTax Donut 1,011
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 673
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 620
- Follower cases 487
- Limited company purchase of property 414
- Hive up 413
- corporate hierarchy 380
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 377
- LIVE chat, starting now 326
- AIA or IFA 211