FHL - swapping in and out
Whether a property qualifies as FHL is a question of fact which is decided on a year-by-year basis.
What concerns me is whether you are compelled to declare the property under FHL rules if it so qualifies in a year, or whether you get the choice to dis-apply the FHL rules, conveniently "forget" that it qualifies, and treat it ias general property income.
It seems to me that, if available, the opportunity to dis-apply FHL rules might be beneficial where the FHL property gives rise to a loss but there is other income from (non-FHL) property against which the loss could be relieved, but only if the income forms part of the non-FHL property business.
My questions are therefore (1) do you get a choice, where qualifying conditions are met, and (2) are there any disadvantages to exercising that choice in the circumstances outlined above? In future years it would revert to FHL status, for at least a full year prior to disposal. I appreciate that there may be complications in the Capital Allowances comp.
My reading of the legislation is that you don't get the choice, but that if it qualifies as FHL then FHL it is. In some respects this seems counter-intuitive, but I thought to check with you lot.
With kind regards
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 118 1
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 121 1
- Instant CPD offer 282 4
- Cash basis 515 13
- Income from rent charged to business 125 2
- payroll software 367 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 440 5
- Statutory sick pay 308 4
- Dividend in specie 368 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 220 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 175 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 273 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 294 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 168 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 385 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,857 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 335 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 258 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 109 1
- Skandia using wrong address 575
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 307
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 307
- Employee rewards 289
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 255
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 228
- Etax Australian 187
- LLP in Construction Industry 155
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 132
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 131