Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Delayed option to tax 99 1
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 42 1
- Stand alone practice management software 1,201 20
- Submit P11D for 2014 2015 with no Paye Scheme in place 166 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 356 6
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 730 18
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 368 2
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 233 3
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 249 5
- SA1 forms 297 11
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,017 25
- ACCOUNTING FOR VAT ON EU DISPATCHES AND EXPORTS 136 2
- Loan to employee's company 121 1
- Can you divide and conquer? 268 2
- Recommendation for consolidation software? 508 9
- CG on Spanish property disposal 192 6
- Do I need to see receipts ? 520 7
- VAT charged on non-VAT Invoice 230 4
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 430 10
- Redundancy Pay 232 3
- Sainsbury's mangement 804
- Avanti Accounts 669
- Have I done the right thing? 629
- Continuity Agreement 622
- Calling franchise accountants 622
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 480
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 353
- Scammers 308
- Advice please! 220
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 198