Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- OBK 397 17
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 83 3
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 61 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,644 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,721 26
- Sage error message 129 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 69 1
- Partially exempt? 146 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 469 5
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 134 3
- Mileage claim 216 9
- Proof of Delivery 231 8
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 90 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 523 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 337 8
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 228 9
- Property expense - legal fees 155 3
- Research expenses for authors 277 6
- Investor exit 83 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 132 3
- Skandia using wrong address 460
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 268
- Employee rewards 247
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 246
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 205
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 200
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 187
- Etax Australian 160
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 148