Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 303 4
- Closing my business down 93 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 851 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 302 6
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 192 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 115 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 594 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,242 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,471 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 195 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 114 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 295 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 91 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,097 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 417 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 157 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 226 3
- FPS or EPS 175 2
- Continuity of Practice 226 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 148 2
- Moving away from CCH software 956
- QROP pension input amounts 442
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 385
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 359
- fraud 286
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 261
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 230
- Construction CIS LLP Company 214
- EPS and CIS deductions 202
- Out of time or not? 182