Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,212 17
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,333 21
- CIS and Close Company 125 3
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 302 1
- VAT Option to tax 477 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 183 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 201 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 134 2
- Director leaving in month 1 167 2
- Ex Gratia payments 98 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 301 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 181 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 200 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 195 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 180 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 59 1
- EIS - connection through employment 99 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 254 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 69 1
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 234 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 916
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 643
- Free Tax Legislation? 411
- Director Loan account operation 406
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 347
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 323
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 224
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 192
- Pension Fixed Protection 163