Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Assets requested back from supplier ? 292 4
- What is your favourite font? 374 11
- Opening Balances with very little info... 75 1
- CGT on Let Property 352 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 302 4
- Strike off 223 7
- Franchise affiliations 112 1
- Company investment 160 4
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 92 1
- Gift to son by parents 346 3
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,201 35
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 161 4
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 460 7
- New CASC rules 158 2
- Autoenrolment and variable earnings 275 2
- CIS subcontractor's invoice on QuickFile 150 4
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 255 6
- valuation of vehicles 534 20
- Settlements Legislation - Adult Children as shareholders 134 1
- RTI Mess 611 10
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 341
- Any thoughts on Capium? 294
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 272
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 255
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 241
- auto enrolment 218
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 198
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 192
- How to account for investment in JV? 176
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 168