Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Limited company buying a car 144 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 263 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 458 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 553 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 173 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 286 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 108 2
- ACCA practice certificates 495 5
- Limited company buying director's car 290 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 77 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 98 1
- WC's and capital allowances 173 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 306 13
- Dress code 1,546 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 479 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 258 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 379 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 473 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 186 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 106 3
- CTA study material 769
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 480
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 396
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 280
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 256
- Trust for Employee 237
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 178
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147