Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Spousal transfer and PPR 474 15
- Where has Portia gone? 1,080 46
- Rogue Accountant 2,949 49
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 212 4
- deceased creditor 114 5
- Corporate member of LLP 263 1
- Investment company 254 6
- Error or mistake in CT return 319 1
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 196 1
- HMRC computer behind the times 355 3
- Sage & IRIS Payroll Employee ID. Problem Using Old Ee ID's? 79 1
- Transfer of stock 349 12
- Holiday entitlement 540 10
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 339 7
- HMRC manual ESSM 188 1
- Extension of lease in flat management company 249 3
- Football Agent Fees 735 23
- Tax avoidance - Doyou know of a better approval? 646 4
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 500 14
- Dir optimum salary 15/16 1,423 22
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 777
- RTI - duplicate employee record 518
- Pensions Regulator 443
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 400
- Sanzar 299
- Sage Vat return box 2 299
- Digital marketing focus group 281
- How do you do it 266
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 235
- Report old income 234