Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Off site storage 56 1
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 248 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,060 42
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 84 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 86 2
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 505 4
- Joint Property rent 144 3
- Self assesment losses 246 7
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 182 6
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 228 1
- Fee protection 857 16
- Overdrawn DLA 251 9
- Disposal of an opted property 131 2
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 237 5
- Irish Taxation 93 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 3,124 31
- CIS monthly declaration 198 9
- Telephone call from "Xero" 364 4
- Form 2.8b notice of intention to appoint administrator 133 3
- Companies House incorporation service 473 14
- Xtuple 560
- Qtac payroll for bureau 382
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 333
- Industrial & Provident Societies 322
- Domain name sale and limited company 222
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 203
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 203
- Investment 202
- Tax on damages received 173
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 159