Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Income tax on foreign dividends 213 1
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 377 10
- Capital Gain? 480 13
- Simple consolidation question 49 1
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 976 27
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 112 4
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 395 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 196 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 242 5
- break even point 559 16
- How much to charge? 124 2
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 72 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 128 4
- IHT Query 214 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 430 2
- BrightPay 685 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 236 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 447 8
- Gift or Capital Gain? 380 11
- SDLT on leases 133 1
- Possible Partnership? 458
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 434
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 426
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 228
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 220
- Clubs and Taxable Income 214
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 206
- New Fangled Penalties 204
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 177
- Loans to other companies 163