Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- How to pay national insurance 488 16
- Spam blocking 96 4
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 183 4
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 189 9
- AccountingWeb is unworkable 77 1
- Small pool write off 200 4
- VAT on purchase of plant from Germany 77 2
- Bonus in june 228 2
- Where do I declare dividends in HMRC's Computations software ? 157 5
- reduce rate VAT on conversion from 2 to 1 dwelling 95 2
- HMRC Email 304 5
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,909 21
- Employment status 195 3
- BIM47080 and director training before trade starts 165 5
- Accounting Software for Small Practice 982 23
- Hannah's blog post about fish 351 4
- Overlap relief 635 16
- Timescale for S455/S458 reclaims 154 3
- Ex-gratia payments 212 4
- HMRC & daft penalty 556 5
- Theatre Tax Relief 476
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 369
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 363
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 338
- Perkbox 304
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 292
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 264
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 262
- Document Management Systems 244
- WIP Software 224