Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Repayment of Share Capital 82 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 525 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 388 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 92 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 102 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 402 10
- Self employed care worker 528 12
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 217 1
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 205 1
- Auto enrolment 443 8
- Audacity 944 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 389 7
- Late registration for MOSS 246 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 272 5
- Client right to working papers 379 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 550 6
- Professional Clearance 1,067 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 287 5
- Illegal share transfer 462 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 181 2
- NHS finance professionals 537
- VAL231 408
- Mother and son property ownership 381
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 360
- Foreign Pension Contribution 332
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 307
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 287
- vat gross profit percentage margins 287
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 259
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 227