Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 38 3
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 775 17
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 216 7
- Which address 715 10
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 192 6
- Question re Career choice... 1,246 7
- Your fondest calculator memories 889 33
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 195 8
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 256 6
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,887 26
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 278 8
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 466 13
- Capital or revenue expense? 180 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 260 11
- Vat threshold issues 366 9
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 178 4
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 335 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 835 12
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 734 15
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 872 18
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 460
- CTA study material 436
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 308
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 293
- Pre incorp expenses 288
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 250
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 239
- Slight twist on employment related securities 216
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 201
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 188