Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 208 5
- See you all on the other side 421 6
- 12Pay 173 2
- dividends 201 2
- R&D 170 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,020 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 313 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 214 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 159 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 401 5
- Seeking a tax case 413 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 284 4
- Companies house strike off 230 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 200 2
- Moving to the cloud 646 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 169 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 770 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 156 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,005 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 355 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 527
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 399
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 355
- IRIS and FRS 102 331
- Capitalising Finance Lease 294
- USA help 292
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 253
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 250
- Capital gains on rental property 232
- Sage Coretime 219