Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 279 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,224 14
- VAT disaggregation 276 4
- Giving shares away 430 8
- Non-IR35 contractors and travel, since Autumn Statement 218 2
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 561 11
- New LLP, basis of assessment and which boxes to complete? 51 1
- property capital gains 246 2
- Transferring DLA between Directors 234 1
- Tips on meals 262 2
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 221 3
- Personal Tax 780 13
- Stumped - IHT 237 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 432 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 498 11
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,309 33
- Credit management tools 176 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 803 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 447 7
- CGT and primary residence 210 1