Company Finance lease / HP but in the name of the wrong person
I've just acquiried a new client, who either isn't terribly bright, or is trying to be clever and not doing it very well. They started up a limited company and needed a van (which they have represented is 100% business use). When I come to look at the finance lease however, it is in the name of one of the directors parents. This individual is neither a shareholder or employee of the company. I've confirmed that the vehicle itself is registered in the name of the company. It is paid through the companies bank account.
For the accounting treatment I'm reasonably happy. Commercial substance over legal form. Put the lease on the balance sheet and (my judgement) classify it as due withing 1 year since they havn't put the correct details on the form.
The corporation tax issue is however more difficult. The lease isn't in the name of an officer of the company which means an expense claim would be difficult. You could charge rent from the parent to the company but that seems like an extremely round about way of doing things, especially given the lease payments themselves are made out of the companies bank account.
There seems to be guidance on the situation where landlords create a lease to directors personally, but this seems to be in relation to VAT and directors, rather than to the current situation.
Does anyone else have experience of a similar mess to this?
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 212 11
- Late P45 26 1
- VAT on motor expenses 927 34
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 432 14
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 490 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,744 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,189 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 124 2
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 246 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,399 42
- Sage 50 143 1
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 256 5
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 210 9
- Introduction of Goodwill 264 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 133 2
- Sage 50 (2010) 147 3
- sole trader - operating under cis 129 2
- What does it mean?? 405 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 295 13
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 151 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,552
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 239
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 215
- Management expenses for investment company 213
- Bonus Bonds 211
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196