foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 14 1
- Gifting shares 210 4
- VAT Registration 357 17
- Holding companies 87 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 614 5
- Notes to statutory accounts 160 9
- Childminding & Wear & Tear Allowance 41 1
- VAT on motor expenses 835 30
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 134 4
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 165 5
- What does it mean?? 88 1
- A question about share structure 161 2
- VAT & Landlords 89 2
- Client died family to pay redundancy 182 2
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 316 5
- Rent paid by director 63 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 108 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 422 13
- Builder using cash labour 332 3
- Easy way to not pay tax 767 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,519
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 838
- International interest certificate 455
- NOVA 313
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 196
- Bonus Bonds 195
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 193
- Management expenses for investment company 188
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 165