foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- revers sales receipt 12 1
- Transfer shares to son 18 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,155 454
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 589 11
- Devolved HMRC? 101 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,764 11
- capital gains on PPR 345 18
- 100% Xero practice 2,598 49
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,563 33
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 736 29
- PAYE 255 5
- What accounting software is there for Irish Accounts? 207 2
- Working from home - time apportionment 187 1
- incorrect PAYE statements 249 3
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 130 1
- Cloud based payroll sofware? 498 8
- Does anyone use quotation software? 158 2
- What is the best, tax efficient way to sell 40% shares in your start-up business for approx £1m 453 5
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 349 10
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 455 10
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,327
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 488
- National Insurance 378
- Non Resident 302
- Franchise income and costs 267
- Hands on experience of Digita 223
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 198
- Employer's Helpline 173
- employment capital allowances 167
- CIS paid under reg 9 162