foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- VAT flat rate scheme 179 3
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 255 8
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 234 4
- Client information from previous accountant 84 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 102 2
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 86 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 368 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 218 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 138 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,659 31
- PAYE NI 117 2
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 123 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 822 14
- How much to charge? 702 10
- break even point 1,008 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 182 5
- Accomodation and travel 206 1
- Unpaid Fee's 360 6
- Issue with a software supplier 245 4
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 322 5
- Possible Partnership? 514
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 497
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 469
- New Fangled Penalties 310
- Clubs and Taxable Income 261
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 259
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 251
- Loans to other companies 193
- Tasbook email configuration 186
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 170