foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- Estate agent and VAT registration 169 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 54 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 322 12
- CIC Company 467 4
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 70 1
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 281 5
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 93 1
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 509 8
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,887 48
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 480 10
- Small company audit 267 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 217 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 226 5
- Problem partnership fees 142 1
- Car financed by employee 128 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 133 1
- Undisclosed income 217 3
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 308 8
- Private Investment Company 147 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 144 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 608
- Cancelled 355
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 289
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 262
- Probiz 249
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 205
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 189
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 189
- Car leasing scheme 188