foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 952 29
- You know its over 337 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 488 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 220 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 173 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 161 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 250 3
- Cocaine anyone? 511 8
- Late Registration for VAT 489 13
- EIS/SEIS 144 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 276 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 418 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 424 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 719 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 555 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 591 4
- Personal pension 402 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 222 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,219 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 175 3
- Hive up 492
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 458
- corporate hierarchy 439
- Advice - 272
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 226
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 207
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 201
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 181
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 175