foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- Let Property Campaign 148 2
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 32 1
- What would you do? 319 2
- Taxable income for previous years 349 8
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 58 1
- Depreciation on purchase of software 132 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 178 3
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,296 16
- App recommendations 321 4
- Defend your local inspector? 616 7
- accountant in Bristol 497 1
- New Company Director PAYE Question 757 20
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,130 19
- How long should one give Aweb … 703 9
- Resident and Non-resident 760 7
- Benefit in Kind - Director loan or not? 160 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 411 16
- Working Hours Calculation - Rounding Hours up/down 137 2
- Self employed Self Assessment 396 2
- Applying for clearance before 5 years share ownership 172 2
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 354
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 343
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 276
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 251
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 251
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 242
- Electric Car 193
- S222 Charge 183
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 171
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 171