foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- Dividends with an annual profit but retained losses 12 1
- How to make restoration of corrupted excel 2007 file? 67 1
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,859 35
- Real names 1,111 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 495 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 115 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,367 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 661 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 229 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 84 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 127 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 283 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,577 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,971 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,950 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 85 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 117 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 163 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 114 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 88 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 579
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 452
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 352
- IFA incorporation 337
- Sorry ignore me 319
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 277
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 269
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 260
- Cancelled 202
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 172