foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 16 1
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 447 10
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,138 17
- Directors loan accounts 71 3
- New Practice 199 14
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 117 3
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 248 4
- BTC Software 34 1
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 799 28
- Goods Purchased for Rental 532 29
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 91 1
- Taxfiler V's BTC 625 23
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,994 25
- Valuation of business 310 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 162 7
- Dividend Payments 419 10
- I.d for vat registration 191 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 157 4
- builder's 'cost only' job 208 1
- Myfirmsapp 640 13
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,010
- International interest certificate 588
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 516
- NOVA 472
- Bonus Bonds 356
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 335
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 229
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 223
- Quickbooks 2015 152