foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 332 18
- Do I need to pay my accountant 167 3
- Limited company buying a car 183 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 467 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 567 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 215 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 297 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 128 2
- ACCA practice certificates 505 5
- Limited company buying director's car 303 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 90 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 127 1
- WC's and capital allowances 180 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 317 13
- Dress code 1,553 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 484 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 266 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 389 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 477 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 212 4
- CTA study material 771
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 400
- Employment related securities question 311
- AIM Stocks and IHT 282
- Expat pension contributions? 260
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 259
- Trust for Employee 239
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 187
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 149