foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 162 7
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 14 1
- Design your ideal tax department 801 19
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 209 6
- Financial statements accounting policies 113 2
- Scams are not always obvious 1,545 30
- Deemed Employment Payment 374 2
- Relationship between amortisation and distributable profits 132 8
- Little PPR calc question 172 4
- Restructuring company and Form 42 156 7
- Overpayment notice 101 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 225 9
- Cells from many sheets 171 3
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 178 8
- Investment company 189 6
- More RTI stuff 163 4
- Personal allowance 575 12
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 103 1
- Childcare vouchers 213 3
- Overseas company and VAT 93 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,053
- Moving away from CCH software 917
- Recruitment agencies 543
- QROP pension input amounts 419
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 367
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 320
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 304
- fraud 239
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 229
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 198