foreign capital gains tax
I would be obliged if anyone could tell me if I am missing something here. The figures are rough so please don't pick any holes in them!!
A Cypriot property was purchased in 2002 for 59000 cypriot pounds - circa £64000 sterling. Converting this into euros at that date on OANDA is about €101,000, although Cyprus didn't enter the euro until 2008.
It was sold in 2009 for €130,000 less fees of €9000 = €121,000 circa £112,000 sterling which equals approx 64,000 cypriot pounds.
There was no capital gains tax to pay in Cyprus.
The cypriot pound and euro gains are relatively small however the sterling gain is circa £48,000. I believe it is this figure that the UK Capital Gains Tax liability should be based on but the client disagrees.
Any help / pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 538 5
- See you all on the other side 649 6
- 12Pay 375 2
- dividends 522 2
- R&D 286 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,140 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 423 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 366 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 335 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 523 5
- Seeking a tax case 601 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 462 4
- Companies house strike off 472 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 376 2
- Moving to the cloud 717 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 207 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 868 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 196 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,077 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 469 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 547
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 414
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 365
- IRIS and FRS 102 347
- Capitalising Finance Lease 312
- USA help 309
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 289
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 280
- Capital gains on rental property 256
- Sage Coretime 231