Fraudulently prepared accounts - how far back can we go?
Difficult one this (at least for me it is!).
Employee has been stealing from client (one man band sole trader) for a number of years. In order to get away with it for so long, payments to herself or other people on her behalf were disguised as PAYE/VAT payments on the SAGE system and also disguised on the bank statements. PAYE/VAT was not being paid to HMRC but when HMRC debt collection services called, they rarely got past the employee, so this was able to continue for a few years.
The employee not only did the book-keeping but also did the year end accounts so there was no third party firm of accountants to pick up on any wrongdoing.
My question is this. How far back will HMRC allow taxpayers to go back and resubmit accounts that were in effect false. Client has HMRC threatening bankruptcy due to the unpaid PAYE/VAT going back 7 years but doesnt have the funds. One way of getting the funds is to redo accounts for x number of years which will alter the amount of tax paid thus creating a tax repayment which can be used to reduce some of the PAYE & VAT. The question is, just how far back?
Another problem we are up against is HMRC are being awkward about supplying us with payments they have received. They sent back a letter along the lines of "all businesses are responsible for keeping their own records of PAYE.....blah blah" which is true, but the owner has been too trusting and allowed the employee to commit theft/fraud and it would be so much easier to have an official list of PAYE payments made to save us the hassle and cost of contacting the bank and asking for a breakdown of every single cheque and BACS payment for 7 years.
- Reversing out RTI 15 2
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 181 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 302 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 284 7
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 252 5
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 253 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 799 21
- BrightPay 587 17
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 226 2
- H&W company 184 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 153 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 161 2
- Gift or Capital Gain? 267 7
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 108 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 789 32
- Classic cars investment 219 6
- VAT silly question 2,385 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,081 10
- Federation Accounts 362 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 542 8
- Benchmarking 488
- Possible Partnership? 429
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 407
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 407
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 348
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 207
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 204
- Clubs and Taxable Income 189
- Income tax on foreign dividends 188
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 183