Fraudulently prepared accounts - how far back can we go?
Difficult one this (at least for me it is!).
Employee has been stealing from client (one man band sole trader) for a number of years. In order to get away with it for so long, payments to herself or other people on her behalf were disguised as PAYE/VAT payments on the SAGE system and also disguised on the bank statements. PAYE/VAT was not being paid to HMRC but when HMRC debt collection services called, they rarely got past the employee, so this was able to continue for a few years.
The employee not only did the book-keeping but also did the year end accounts so there was no third party firm of accountants to pick up on any wrongdoing.
My question is this. How far back will HMRC allow taxpayers to go back and resubmit accounts that were in effect false. Client has HMRC threatening bankruptcy due to the unpaid PAYE/VAT going back 7 years but doesnt have the funds. One way of getting the funds is to redo accounts for x number of years which will alter the amount of tax paid thus creating a tax repayment which can be used to reduce some of the PAYE & VAT. The question is, just how far back?
Another problem we are up against is HMRC are being awkward about supplying us with payments they have received. They sent back a letter along the lines of "all businesses are responsible for keeping their own records of PAYE.....blah blah" which is true, but the owner has been too trusting and allowed the employee to commit theft/fraud and it would be so much easier to have an official list of PAYE payments made to save us the hassle and cost of contacting the bank and asking for a breakdown of every single cheque and BACS payment for 7 years.
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 24 1
- WC's and capital allowances 146 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 272 13
- Limited company buying a car 31 1
- Dress code 1,519 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 459 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 226 6
- Limited company buying director's car 228 8
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 417 7
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 353 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 462 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 134 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 75 3
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 177 4
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 154 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,421 17
- Scottish Independance 764 23
- New laptop - any suggestions please 1,250 26
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 208 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 174 1
- CTA study material 763
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 473
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 381
- Employment related securities question 303
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 252
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 252
- Trust for Employee 230
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 162
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 144