Fraudulently prepared accounts - how far back can we go?
Difficult one this (at least for me it is!).
Employee has been stealing from client (one man band sole trader) for a number of years. In order to get away with it for so long, payments to herself or other people on her behalf were disguised as PAYE/VAT payments on the SAGE system and also disguised on the bank statements. PAYE/VAT was not being paid to HMRC but when HMRC debt collection services called, they rarely got past the employee, so this was able to continue for a few years.
The employee not only did the book-keeping but also did the year end accounts so there was no third party firm of accountants to pick up on any wrongdoing.
My question is this. How far back will HMRC allow taxpayers to go back and resubmit accounts that were in effect false. Client has HMRC threatening bankruptcy due to the unpaid PAYE/VAT going back 7 years but doesnt have the funds. One way of getting the funds is to redo accounts for x number of years which will alter the amount of tax paid thus creating a tax repayment which can be used to reduce some of the PAYE & VAT. The question is, just how far back?
Another problem we are up against is HMRC are being awkward about supplying us with payments they have received. They sent back a letter along the lines of "all businesses are responsible for keeping their own records of PAYE.....blah blah" which is true, but the owner has been too trusting and allowed the employee to commit theft/fraud and it would be so much easier to have an official list of PAYE payments made to save us the hassle and cost of contacting the bank and asking for a breakdown of every single cheque and BACS payment for 7 years.
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,461 5
- How much does the company pay 69 2
- Help with CGT please 82 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 113 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 310 6
- Benefit in Kind 296 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 321 17
- Will I need to resign? 938 11
- Cocaine anyone? 668 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 256 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 156 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 199 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 181 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 846 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 549 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 720 13
- Personal pension 451 9
- Business rates consultancy 273 4
- Wrong tax code 187 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 115 2
- Hive up 515
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 477
- corporate hierarchy 455
- Advice - 299
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 246
- WWOOFers 242
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 198
- The booking.com con 185
- Cocaine anyone? 169