Fraudulently prepared accounts - how far back can we go?
Difficult one this (at least for me it is!).
Employee has been stealing from client (one man band sole trader) for a number of years. In order to get away with it for so long, payments to herself or other people on her behalf were disguised as PAYE/VAT payments on the SAGE system and also disguised on the bank statements. PAYE/VAT was not being paid to HMRC but when HMRC debt collection services called, they rarely got past the employee, so this was able to continue for a few years.
The employee not only did the book-keeping but also did the year end accounts so there was no third party firm of accountants to pick up on any wrongdoing.
My question is this. How far back will HMRC allow taxpayers to go back and resubmit accounts that were in effect false. Client has HMRC threatening bankruptcy due to the unpaid PAYE/VAT going back 7 years but doesnt have the funds. One way of getting the funds is to redo accounts for x number of years which will alter the amount of tax paid thus creating a tax repayment which can be used to reduce some of the PAYE & VAT. The question is, just how far back?
Another problem we are up against is HMRC are being awkward about supplying us with payments they have received. They sent back a letter along the lines of "all businesses are responsible for keeping their own records of PAYE.....blah blah" which is true, but the owner has been too trusting and allowed the employee to commit theft/fraud and it would be so much easier to have an official list of PAYE payments made to save us the hassle and cost of contacting the bank and asking for a breakdown of every single cheque and BACS payment for 7 years.
- Is this fraud? 184 4
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 256 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,151 413
- Saying goodbye 270 7
- Flat rate scheme 109 2
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 603 4
- Drop box Storage 143 2
- Furnished lettings criteria 70 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 401 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 88 2
- Pension Contributions Relief 355 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 88 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 200 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 287 15
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 298 1
- Sportman claiming for training kit 960 10
- Naming new company 154 4
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 781 33
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 156 2
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 284 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,268
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 351
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 258
- Franchise income and costs 235
- Hands on experience of Digita 192
- Employer's Helpline 144
- employment capital allowances 133
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 130