Fraudulently prepared accounts - how far back can we go?
Difficult one this (at least for me it is!).
Employee has been stealing from client (one man band sole trader) for a number of years. In order to get away with it for so long, payments to herself or other people on her behalf were disguised as PAYE/VAT payments on the SAGE system and also disguised on the bank statements. PAYE/VAT was not being paid to HMRC but when HMRC debt collection services called, they rarely got past the employee, so this was able to continue for a few years.
The employee not only did the book-keeping but also did the year end accounts so there was no third party firm of accountants to pick up on any wrongdoing.
My question is this. How far back will HMRC allow taxpayers to go back and resubmit accounts that were in effect false. Client has HMRC threatening bankruptcy due to the unpaid PAYE/VAT going back 7 years but doesnt have the funds. One way of getting the funds is to redo accounts for x number of years which will alter the amount of tax paid thus creating a tax repayment which can be used to reduce some of the PAYE & VAT. The question is, just how far back?
Another problem we are up against is HMRC are being awkward about supplying us with payments they have received. They sent back a letter along the lines of "all businesses are responsible for keeping their own records of PAYE.....blah blah" which is true, but the owner has been too trusting and allowed the employee to commit theft/fraud and it would be so much easier to have an official list of PAYE payments made to save us the hassle and cost of contacting the bank and asking for a breakdown of every single cheque and BACS payment for 7 years.
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 25 2
- Please for the love of god can anyone clear this up for me accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 300 14
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 266 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 113 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 528 11
- Flat rate vat error 325 7
- EC VAT 212 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 526 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 286 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 549 16
- can I claim a per diem 264 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 137 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,377 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 246 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 99 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 295 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 536 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 861 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 164 3
- Linux Accounting Software 571 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 836
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 507
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 318
- How to format a stock book 287
- Tax efficient holding company structure 229
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 229
- Investment property company accounts template 219
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 211
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 181
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 181