Fraudulently prepared accounts - how far back can we go?
Difficult one this (at least for me it is!).
Employee has been stealing from client (one man band sole trader) for a number of years. In order to get away with it for so long, payments to herself or other people on her behalf were disguised as PAYE/VAT payments on the SAGE system and also disguised on the bank statements. PAYE/VAT was not being paid to HMRC but when HMRC debt collection services called, they rarely got past the employee, so this was able to continue for a few years.
The employee not only did the book-keeping but also did the year end accounts so there was no third party firm of accountants to pick up on any wrongdoing.
My question is this. How far back will HMRC allow taxpayers to go back and resubmit accounts that were in effect false. Client has HMRC threatening bankruptcy due to the unpaid PAYE/VAT going back 7 years but doesnt have the funds. One way of getting the funds is to redo accounts for x number of years which will alter the amount of tax paid thus creating a tax repayment which can be used to reduce some of the PAYE & VAT. The question is, just how far back?
Another problem we are up against is HMRC are being awkward about supplying us with payments they have received. They sent back a letter along the lines of "all businesses are responsible for keeping their own records of PAYE.....blah blah" which is true, but the owner has been too trusting and allowed the employee to commit theft/fraud and it would be so much easier to have an official list of PAYE payments made to save us the hassle and cost of contacting the bank and asking for a breakdown of every single cheque and BACS payment for 7 years.
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 238 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 308 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,268 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 117 2
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 399 15
- Companies House incorporation service 306 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 41 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 110 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 184 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 128 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 195 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 129 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 126 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,582 12
- Share Capital 101 2
- Trading income or not? 162 1
- Charge HMRC 384 3
- FRS17 query 228 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,767 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,669 29
- Xtuple 543
- Qtac payroll for bureau 373
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 315
- Industrial & Provident Societies 309
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 287
- CIS schemes 220
- Domain name sale and limited company 203
- Investment 183
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 179
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 177