Fraudulently prepared accounts - how far back can we go?
Difficult one this (at least for me it is!).
Employee has been stealing from client (one man band sole trader) for a number of years. In order to get away with it for so long, payments to herself or other people on her behalf were disguised as PAYE/VAT payments on the SAGE system and also disguised on the bank statements. PAYE/VAT was not being paid to HMRC but when HMRC debt collection services called, they rarely got past the employee, so this was able to continue for a few years.
The employee not only did the book-keeping but also did the year end accounts so there was no third party firm of accountants to pick up on any wrongdoing.
My question is this. How far back will HMRC allow taxpayers to go back and resubmit accounts that were in effect false. Client has HMRC threatening bankruptcy due to the unpaid PAYE/VAT going back 7 years but doesnt have the funds. One way of getting the funds is to redo accounts for x number of years which will alter the amount of tax paid thus creating a tax repayment which can be used to reduce some of the PAYE & VAT. The question is, just how far back?
Another problem we are up against is HMRC are being awkward about supplying us with payments they have received. They sent back a letter along the lines of "all businesses are responsible for keeping their own records of PAYE.....blah blah" which is true, but the owner has been too trusting and allowed the employee to commit theft/fraud and it would be so much easier to have an official list of PAYE payments made to save us the hassle and cost of contacting the bank and asking for a breakdown of every single cheque and BACS payment for 7 years.
- Remittances 115 1
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 108 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 184 1
- Shareholder agreement 197 4
- Corporation tax due date confusion 114 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,492 21
- Accountants' Error 763 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 170 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 168 3
- Scoot 215 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 168 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 232 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 670 11
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 123 1
- Regaining my qualification 249 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 251 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 282 2
- Auto enrolment 223 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 202 3
- Company Reorganisation 176 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,461
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 777
- Any views 706
- HMRC Employers Diary 527
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 264
- Advertising services? 262
- IRIS Open Books problem 255