My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,123 21
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 249 7
- Directors loan accounts 382 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 324 7
- Payment for Promotional Samples 255 1
- Transactions between Associated Companies 106 2
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 190 1
- Employed clients and expenses 793 14
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,033 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 700 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 906 34
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 523 18
- I.d for vat registration 275 10
- Bookkeping software 903 9
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 292 9
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 252 4
- Auto Enrolment set up 347 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,836 42
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 136 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 163 6
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 541
- NOVA 489
- Bonus Bonds 375
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 354
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 274
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 239
- Friendly Pensions 170
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 156
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 140
- Finance Lease 140