My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 87 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 445 13
- Coding Notice 213 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 224 6
- New business - journal entries 388 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 216 3
- Payroll software 636 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 248 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 386 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 720 18
- B2B vat in the EU 177 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 129 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 193 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 222 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 187 4
- LLP as member of LLP 131 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,820 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 500 7
- Vat 299 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,298 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 847
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 717
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 402
- Social investment tax relief 217
- Digita Hosted Software 210
- Call Centre Data Costs 197
- accounting for this transaction 180
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 170
- Travel costs and contractors 165
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 158