My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 486 10
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 90 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 315 5
- private to company car? 152 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 923 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 568 10
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 209 13
- Buy to let allowable interest 112 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 159 1
- Partner with an IVA 151 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 558 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 406 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 261 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 219 6
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 343 13
- Consequential loss claim 78 1
- Does anyone do payrolling of benefits? 141 1
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 250 8
- Sale of an investment between group companies 110 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 408 12
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 453
- CTA study material 414
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 300
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 276
- Pre incorp expenses 269
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 239
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 230
- Slight twist on employment related securities 207
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 179
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 175