My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 64 1
- Hmrc software 181 3
- Mehjoo 243 1
- Thinking to start accepting Online Card Payments 173 2
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 69 1
- SA302 247 4
- Hosted email exchange 165 5
- South African Government Pension 175 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 149 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 249 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 287 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 231 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 139 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 270 7
- New Email Extensions 176 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 301 2
- Dental practice incorpration 144 1
- Audit rules 173 4
- Go Cardless 299 8
- business entertaining deductibility 169 1
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 341
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 288
- Industrial & Provident Societies 281
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- CIS schemes 159
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 159
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 147
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 137