My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 31 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 869 41
- Tier One Tribunal 22 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 237 5
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 785 25
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 116 2
- Another transfer of property 105 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 200 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 76 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 562 11
- LEL and PAYE registration 79 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 148 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 171 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 553 14
- SA316s 215 3
- Swiching tax 542 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 530 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 387 11
- Start-up cost recognition 124 1
- Lunches 302 3
- Construction CIS LLP Company 611
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 592
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 388
- Pensions Regulator 356
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 292
- Using the correct forms 267
- RTI - duplicate employee record 262
- SA penalty proposals 257
- Accelerated payment notices 237
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 233