My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 365 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,178 30
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 145 4
- New Company reviews please 632 16
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,079 33
- Business only use of company car 745 27
- Voluntary Disclosure 398 8
- Gift to son by parents 167 1
- valuation of vehicles 492 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 287 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 180 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 409 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 465 4
- BTC is slow 311 3
- Director registration for SA question 533 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 473 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 520 22
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 528 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 367 4
- VAT with Russia 287 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 323
- Any thoughts on Capium? 261
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 259
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 248
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 228
- auto enrolment 200
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 186
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 172
- How to account for investment in JV? 165
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 159