My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 50 1
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,153 10
- flat rate scheme 431 9
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,381 39
- Rental Expenses 225 7
- Defer,Accrue & Wip 235 7
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 218 7
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 347 2
- UK tax exposure 264 4
- regulated mortgage work? 150 2
- any help? 271 4
- HMRC turning post around in 11 - 12 weeks? 351 8
- Companies House? 270 3
- Echosign mail merge? 297 1
- Before I call employers helpline 261 1
- VAT refund 424 4
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 245 3
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 229 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 586 6
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 307 2