My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 171 7
- VT 314 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 662 18
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 430 21
- losses carried forward 321 8
- client can't/won't pay 91 5
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 75 2
- 5% penalty on late payment 100 2
- Ongoing trade? 228 5
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 160 3
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 256 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 843 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 133 3
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 726 19
- Tax Penalty overeaction 543 10
- New Boiler at Rental Property 246 3
- Can I undertake a solicitors audit? 232 4
- Freelance software consultant 281 3
- opening balamces 348 11
- Limited company closed payroll then changed its name: does it need to apply for a new PAYE reference to reinstate payroll? 292 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 774
- Copy Wanted 487
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 450
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 448
- Latest phishing scam 277
- Entrepreneurs' relief 259
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 257
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 242
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 225
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 222