My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Account and Taxable Profit 185 12
- Accounting for corporation tax 95 4
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 227 7
- Community Faux Pas 899 26
- Cash gift from India 59 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,292 40
- Windows10 125 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 606 24
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,669 36
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 305 6
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 458 25
- Class 2 NIC 194 3
- A thursday afternoon muse 188 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 372 6
- Probate services 404 8
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 863 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 778 14
- An IT question 277 6
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 325 9
- SDLT 341 9
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 326
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 294
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 244
- Payroll manager and the cloud 215
- Is the APN valid 196