My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Freelance/Employee 644 16
- Recommendations for online payroll software 189 1
- . 181 1
- Accountant Specialization. 251 2
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 240 4
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 163 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 163 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 447 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 94 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 593 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 677 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 126 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 184 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 331 6
- Is it just me ... 289 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 289 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 118 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 352 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 222 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,539 18
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 747
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 288
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 185
- IP trans to holding company 183
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 171
- AIA 166
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 164