My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Scottish Independance 92 3
- Interest relief before property is rented out 180 4
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 245 8
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 326 7
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 47 1
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 400 9
- Sharing of Fixed Assets 39 1
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 225 1
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 295 7
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 309 12
- Dress code 950 22
- How much did you pay for your website 1,578 27
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 583 4
- Dividend 378 6
- FRS and Debtors 202 2
- What's in a name ? 588 6
- Helping out a friend 478 8
- Problem with CT600 return boxes AC229 & AC230 (Accelerated capital allowances) 249 7
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 419 5
- ACCA practice certificates 377 4
- CTA study material 740
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 458
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 312
- Employment related securities question 294
- AIM Stocks and IHT 268
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 240
- Expat pension contributions? 228
- Trust for Employee 225
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 139
- Wind Turbine - Company or not? 122