My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 448 5
- Dormant co. now trading 44 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 423 11
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 257 4
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 431 9
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 1,341 11
- Property letting & CAs 464 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,408 19
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 131 2
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 540 7
- Transmission of ISA 269 4
- Opt To Tax Refund 65 1
- Is the CT61 return dead? 447 6
- Deduction for Flat Rate Scheme VAT 294 3
- CisVerification as an agent 203 2
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 374 6
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 344 6
- backpack 427 4
- CIS 388 9
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 719 16
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 717
- 2015 tax year end 449
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 422
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 364
- Costly Accounting Software contract 328
- Directors' advances and credits 268
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 226
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 204