My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 65 3
- Matching of tax return to P60 50 1
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,016 20
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,197 53
- Related Parties Note 120 3
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 767 22
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 193 7
- what time is it ? 313 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 89 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 434 24
- VAT on disbursement 168 2
- tax credits 215 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,046 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 89 1
- LLP - Member leaving 199 6
- Year end 269 3
- Foreign income for self employed 175 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 314 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 331 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,153 14
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 916
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 529
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 336
- How to format a stock book 324
- Tax efficient holding company structure 259
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 249
- Investment property company accounts template 234
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 198
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 186
- Charge out rates in London? 159