My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Cocaine anyone? 73 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,453 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 795 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 420 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 237 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 306 11
- Tax return software for remote working 459 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 497 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 415 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 440 9
- How to purchase business premises? 140 2
- Will I need to resign? 805 10
- Childcare vouchers 155 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 271 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 295 6
- VAT avoidance? 218 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 182 3
- PAYE coding out 178 3
- Follower cases 573 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 451 2
- Hive up 468
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 436
- corporate hierarchy 415
- Advice - 243
- Amortisation of Goodwill 214
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 202
- WWOOFers 197
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 178
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 175
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 172