My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Digita Hosted Software 377 3
- Lease 64 3
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 127 5
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,231 20
- Thin Client recomendation 175 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 170 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 106 2
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 362 8
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 93 2
- format cell to exclude decimals 281 15
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 115 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,265 15
- Homing sandwiches 832 19
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 240 2
- SUSPECTED OR INVALID BENEFIT FRAUD 220 2
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 100 2
- IT advisory questions? 409 11
- Direct debit entry query 156 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 805 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 237 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,295
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 847
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 537
- Credit where credit's due....... 331
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 251
- TheTax Donut 216
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 179
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 165
- Director's business mileage 142
- Sole trader CPD 138