My clients (husband and wife now retired) were directors / employees of a limited company in the late 1980's and a Pension Scheme was constituted in their names by Trust Deed on 7 June 1988. They were taxed on pre A-day employer contributions and the employment relationship between the members (my clients) and employer has long since ceased.
They understand that (pre- A Day), this scheme was a FURB.
In the early 90's they lent c£70k cash from the scheme to another private limited company ( in 2 similar tranches/ agreements). In the period from April 92, interest on the loans was rolled-up by the private limited company, but not paid (with permission from the Pension Scheme).
In 2011, my clients acquired land in a separate transaction, the purchase price of which was paid direct from the private limited company in full and final settlement of the pension scheme loan principal (c£70k) and most of the interest (c£30k).
1) Interest paid to the pension was paid gross – presumably, the pension scheme should pay tax at trust rates on this income?
2) My clients have effectively drawn down the pension scheme (principal and most of the gross interest earned) to acquire the land referenced above. Can you confirm that my clients (under FURB rules; as now superceded by EFRBS rules?) can withdraw the full lump-sum of the pension principal tax free.
3) Separately, there appears to be some confusion over whether the land should have been registered in my clients own name (meaning an effective near total withdrawal from the FURB arrangement) OR if there would have been significant IHT benefits for leaving the monies in the scheme ?
- Closing my business down 70 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 839 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 272 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 266 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 191 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 97 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 586 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,240 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,466 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 188 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 102 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 288 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 87 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,092 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 411 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 151 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 220 3
- FPS or EPS 169 2
- Continuity of Practice 219 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 144 2
- Moving away from CCH software 953
- QROP pension input amounts 440
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 382
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 357
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 259
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 228
- Construction CIS LLP Company 212
- EPS and CIS deductions 200