FURBS winding up
I've been asked to look at the winding up of a FURBS for a client.
The FURBS only asset is cash and he has asked if there are any tax consequences of the wind up and the distribution of the funds to him as sole beneficiary? I think that the payment is tax free, as the contributions into the FURBS were taxed on the way in and the FURBS has always paid tax on it's income and capital gains. HMRC have also said similar when their technical department was queried but obviously won't give any advice.
The client would also like to loan some money from the FURBS now to purchase a new business, which he needs very soon so pre the wind up of the FURBS. Does anyone know if this would be caught by the disguised remuneration rules? It talks about commercial loans but I think this only applies where the normal course of business is money lending.
Presumably we could draw up a simple loan deed to state that the loan would be cancelled upon the wind up of the FURBS to avoid the need for the client to repay the FURBS the loan to only get the funds back.
Does anyone have experience of this?
- P11D Rejection 367 9
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 518 14
- Selling a practice 340 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,263 20
- Incapable of reading 119 1
- How to pay national insurance 140 2
- Overlap relief 461 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 107 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 80 1
- Dormant payroll 838 9
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 177 5
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 132 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,334 21
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 624 13
- PPR exemption on separation 146 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,549 10
- Intercompany loans 110 1
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 179 3
- Limited Company 339 11
- Sage renewals and terminations 133 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 442
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 345
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 336
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 311
- Perkbox 274
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 242
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 242
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 235
- Document Management Systems 215
- WIP Software 199