Future for Small Accounting firms
I am in my late 20s, I am AAT qualified and hope to be ATT qualified this year. The practice I work for (Turnover £150kish) have offered me partnership upon completion of the ATT.
We are very much general practitioners, typical portfolio of tradesmen and a few ltd companies.
I am obviously excited at the prospect of partnership as I've always wanted my own business but at the same time I wonder about the long term viability of this type of practice. Websites such as crunch.co.uk now offer insanely cheap compliance services with support from qualified accountants. Software is becoming easier and easier to use and more and more of the processes are being automated.
Even the legislation itself is being simplified! (allegedly)
I am seriously concerned these cheap online 'accounts factories' will do to firms like mine, what Tescos did to the high street butcher, baker and candle stick maker. By accepting partnership I am aquiring quite a debt and I need to consider the extra long term viability of the business. I'm also a bit of a worrier and over thinker by nature :)
I wonder if a better option would be to turn down the offer and seek employment with a big firm. Aim for the CTA qualification and become a specilaist maybe.
I'm at such a cross roads. I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on the future of this segment of the Accounting profession.
Thanks in advance
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 701 21
- Year end 194 3
- tax credits 173 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 977 16
- Foreign income for self employed 150 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 273 9
- LLP - Member leaving 162 6
- what time is it ? 133 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 278 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,073 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 232 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 584 21
- How would you account for warranty? 167 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 407 22
- Sweet Tooth 206 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 188 2
- trading or dormant 127 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 143 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 577 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 281 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 883
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 520
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 313
- Tax efficient holding company structure 247
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 243
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 220
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 170