Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Reposted question 7 1
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 720 14
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 247 7
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 259 1
- Know it alls (who don't) 712 17
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,602 51
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 633 21
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 178 3
- Incorporation with pending court case 113 2
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 352 17
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 137 3
- VAT on motor expenses 971 36
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 517 11
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 97 3
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 250 4
- Share swap 453 17
- CIS Deductions 147 6
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,850 28
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 468 14
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 866 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,567
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 865
- International interest certificate 477
- NOVA 333
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 243
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 220
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 211
- Help with tax codes on Sage 165
- Capital reduction 156