Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Software 307 8
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 498 20
- Company dividends 370 12
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 383 6
- SA late payment penalty 165 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 283 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 85 1
- Copy Wanted 635 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 91 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 99 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 102 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,409 81
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 255 5
- When is golf coaching a vatable supply? 162 2
- Comany ceasing to trade 153 2
- French resident, split year & UK close company dividends 116 1
- Closing a limited company 209 5
- Rental Income for Child Benefit Charge 149 2
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 141 3
- Window Comb Binder Cover 354 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 852
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 540
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 510
- Latest phishing scam 397
- Entrepreneurs' relief 372
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 329
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 311
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 299
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 211
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 190