Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,850 35
- Real names 1,106 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 487 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 96 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,363 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 653 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 225 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 68 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 123 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 277 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,571 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,959 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,942 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 78 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 116 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 162 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 108 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 88 1
- Tax position re this lease? 163 2
- VAT on Training Courses 141 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 578
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 451
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 335
- Sorry ignore me 316
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 276
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 267
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 258
- Cancelled 200
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 170