Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 72 2
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 361 9
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 203 5
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 140 2
- Merging my businesses 195 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 559 19
- Where has Portia gone? 1,971 66
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 457 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 334 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 326 1
- Holiday entitlement 576 11
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 484 12
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 320 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 142 1
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 147 2
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 927 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 226 3
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 210 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 426 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 358 9
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 791
- RTI - duplicate employee record 554
- Pensions Regulator 450
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 410
- Sanzar 313
- Portia ... Where art thou 303
- Digital marketing focus group 297
- How do you do it 292
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 271
- new investor structure 176