Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Capital Gain? 404 11
- IHT Query 60 2
- Reversing out RTI 110 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 295 9
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 844 22
- Gift or Capital Gain? 298 8
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 269 6
- BrightPay 610 18
- Classic cars investment 239 7
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 217 3
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 320 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 336 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 269 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 267 2
- H&W company 227 3
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 197 3
- tax teatment of index linked mortgage repayment 171 2
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 176 1
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 808 32
- VAT silly question 2,414 56
- Benchmarking 494
- Possible Partnership? 437
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 412
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 410
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 357
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 211
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 209
- Clubs and Taxable Income 199
- Income tax on foreign dividends 192
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 186