Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Claiming VAT 57 2
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 75 1
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,059 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 161 4
- Company assets 321 14
- MoneySoft 94 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 255 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 258 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 146 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 487 9
- Director resignation 725 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,786 30
- Additional information attached to accounts 136 1
- CIS Only Scheme 98 1
- No payroll scheme in place 342 1
- Xero Training 389 3
- SA Penalty 229 1
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 252 13
- Debtor weighting by sales 97 1
- The stupidity continues 2,827 103
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 500
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 476
- Is there anything wrong with this? 276
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 264
- Uncommercial property business 238
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 203
- Registering online CWF1 181
- Accrued income scheme 177
- VAT - registration needed? 174
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 172