Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Giving a seminar 427 22
- Care to help a student out? 217 9
- Interest on Loan to a Company 211 1
- Residency 91 day rule 174 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 175 10
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 821 12
- Dazed & confused 1,267 9
- deleting customers on Sage 50 43 2
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 296 6
- Altered PAYE cheque 92 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 114 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,013 30
- Writing off bad debts 124 3
- PAYE coding notices 83 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 657 17
- Is there a time limit on VAT claims on DIY barn conversions? 126 2
- Contra entry in Sage Line 50 accounts professional 91 3
- Excel - protecting a cell 110 4
- Foreign Tax 110 2
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 518 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,180
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 596
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 401
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 306
- Agent fees to sell business 185
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 183
- Alphabet shares 181
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 171
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 149
- EBT 148