Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 123 3
- dividend 17 2
- Irish Taxation 125 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 278 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 497 6
- Error on SA Tax Return 59 1
- Drector renting room to company 57 1
- Off site storage 130 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 570 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 227 7
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,119 44
- Industrial & Provident Societies 344 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 215 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 312 4
- Self assesment losses 305 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 164 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 167 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 112 2
- Joint Property rent 170 3
- Fee protection 897 16
- Xtuple 562
- Qtac payroll for bureau 384
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 339
- Domain name sale and limited company 227
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 209
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 206
- Investment 203
- Tax on damages received 177
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 174
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 142