Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Tax position re this lease? 284 4
- Managing Employee Expenses 146 6
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 25 1
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,646 60
- inheritance tax 542 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 133 5
- HMRC Agents Line 28 1
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 37 1
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 178 10
- pension paid by company? 254 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 587 21
- Charity work 159 8
- SA Agent's Priority Line 116 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 770 24
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 247 3
- Company Director In Prison 303 7
- MAAT vs ACCA 388 7
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,102 28
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 142 5
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 656 13
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 668
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 487
- Cancelled 419
- Cancelled 359
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Probiz 332
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 320
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 241
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 192