Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 958 17
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 15 1
- VAT Option to tax 340 7
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 235 13
- Laptop purchase 1,546 21
- Entrepreneurs Relief 59 2
- Consortium relief and bad debts 74 3
- CVA guidance 103 2
- BEST CPD COURSE 88 1
- Total cost of employment 265 3
- Accountancy software for an imac 255 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 519 10
- directors loan movements and repayments 238 3
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 60 1
- Business travel apps 73 2
- EIS - connection through employment 65 1
- Weely paid employees 337 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 131 2
- Help car benefit 211 5
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 169 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 891
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 624
- Free Tax Legislation? 382
- Director Loan account operation 379
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 326
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 303
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 276
- Paye procedures for CVA 208
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 199