Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Freelance/Employee 784 19
- Self Assessment - income for US property 71 3
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 877 10
- Losses carry forward to self employed 379 7
- CGT Problem 601 6
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 428 4
- Where is Section 809 of ITA 2007? 177 7
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 341 4
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 307 8
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 1,364 12
- Time to ditch Sage? 621 10
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 2,067 47
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 659 21
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 231 2
- HMRC Post 742 10
- Star v Sage for bureau payroll work 93 2
- www.pool.adzio 300 4
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 409 6
- The Higgs Decision 484 5
- Selling Business 176 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 778
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 424
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 378
- Electric Car 313
- S222 Charge 259
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 229
- IP trans to holding company 206
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 196
- AIA 194
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 190