Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Self-assessment statistics 2,472 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 216 5
- Transmission of ISA 49 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 184 2
- Next Move 715 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 181 2
- Not renewing AAT 677 9
- CGT of shares gifted 383 6
- New dividend taxation 499 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,798 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 158 1
- Company car v company allowance 286 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 437 9
- Company formation and bank account 437 9
- Owning overseas property 348 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 291 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 280 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 711 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 735 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 284 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 667
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 399
- 2015 tax year end 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 395
- FCA regulated company in a small group 347
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 320
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 211
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 208