Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,081 20
- QBO VAT box 2 and 4 119 1
- VAT - Check on clients business 597 25
- Transfer of a trade WITHOUT assets? 112 1
- Amend a 2010/11 return 110 1
- Advanced SMP, but employee returns to work early 162 1
- How to deal with prior year error 158 2
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 529 19
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,340 33
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,050 20
- Tax Calculations 657 10
- Tax Fines - HMRC 408 4
- Exemption from CGT 236 2
- VAT Registration 245 3
- Digita Users - Can you please confirm? 467 14
- Autumn statement predictions 438 8
- ACCA Practising Certificate Holder 341 4
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 191 3
- Moneysoft error 436 7
- Repaying Directors loan by transferring an asset 649 26