Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 164 3
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 981 49
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 80 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 27 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,369 422
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 289 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 58 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 274 1
- References for clients 89 1
- corp tax software 285 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 178 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 149 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 553 24
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 342 16
- Is this fraud? 557 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 93 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 280 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 106 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 162 4
- Naming new company 327 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,290
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 458
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Franchise income and costs 247
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 161
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 144
- CIS paid under reg 9 133