Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Recharge for private use of a company car 314 6
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,157 19
- CGT 310 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 296 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 94 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 243 5
- Compliance check 477 13
- sole trader accountant 738 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 383 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 592 21
- More AE! 466 11
- How to classify an asset 134 3
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 264 2
- when a charity makes a donation.... 170 4
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 111 2
- Statement of turnover template 177 4
- CGT 111 1
- Importers 209 3
- Micro Entity Accounts 166 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 244 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,064
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 776
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 453
- Digita Hosted Software 277
- Call Centre Data Costs 243
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 210
- Credit where credit's due....... 202
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 196
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 177
- Director phone costs 136