Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- ACCA practice certificates 454 5
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 56 2
- Limited company buying director's car 250 10
- Limited company buying a car 62 2
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 38 1
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 74 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 39 1
- WC's and capital allowances 155 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 282 13
- Dress code 1,526 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 466 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 232 6
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 418 7
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 357 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 463 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 147 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 81 3
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 180 4
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 157 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,433 17
- CTA study material 763
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 473
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 383
- Employment related securities question 303
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 252
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 252
- Trust for Employee 230
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 162
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 144